Sitting for a while on one side is what will allow the tofu to brown. In a small bowl, stir together soy sauce, sesame oil, water, brown sugar, and cornstarch. Tofu Stir-Fry with Garlic Sauce This quick and easy tofu stir-fry is the weeknight dinner you've been looking for! Yum! As soon as the vegetables are crisp-tender (about 5 to 8 minutes, depending upon the vegetable and how large they are sliced), add the tofu back to the skillet and proceed with the recipe as directed. I’m so happy that you enjoyed it, Peggy! The perfect meatless main course that’s packed with protein and nutrients! Cook until tender, about 8 to 10 minutes. This ingredient shopping module is created and maintained by a third party, and imported onto this page. I’m so happy that it was a hit, Rich! When cool enough to handle, gently squeeze and pat dry. Drain the tofu. I’ve put in my favorite veggies into this recipe, but please feel free to substitute whatever hearty vegetables you have on hand. Stir in garlic … Firm tofu is also one of the most versatile; can be added to soups stews and tolerate high heat cooking, like for a stir-fry Extra-Firm Tofu. Delish participates in various affiliate marketing programs, which means we may get paid commissions on editorially chosen products purchased through our links to retailer sites. For crazy crispy tofu, prep it through Step 3 in my guide for. Add several large handfuls of spinach, stirring as you go so that it wilts and you can fit more in the pan. I rarely post comments on recipes I find online but this one’s just so simple yet very flavorful! It was so easy and so good. Let’s talk about the essentials to make a healthy tofu stir fry. Tofu: Cook the rice or farro according to package directions.Cut the tofu into slices and press … You need this tofu stir fry and you need it ASAP! As it turns out, if you have tofu, a few veggies, a bottle of soy sauce, and a couple of garlic cloves rolling about in your pantry, you can turn it all into a dynamite dinner. I create new content every single week. Refrigerate leftovers for up to 5 days. In a large nonstick skillet or wok, heat the canola oil over medium-high heat. In the same pan, stir-fry tofu, salt, pepper and remaining ginger in remaining oil for 7-9 minutes or until lightly browned. Definitely will make this one again! You can use any kind of vegetables you like, the “sauce” is only two ingredients, and the entire shebang is ready in less than 30. Crispy Tofu Ingredients. ), let’s discuss a few other key ingredients for the best-tasting tofu stir fry. Stir in the sesame seeds. This recipe is for those crazy weeknights when you aren’t … I’m so happy that you enjoyed it, Danielle! When smoking hot, add 2 tablespoons vegetable oil. We sit down to eat it. Similar to the firm tofu, but with less water content. Whether or not you plan to make this Tofu Stir Fry recipe immediately—though if I may have one more bossy moment, YOU SHOULD MAKE THIS RECIPE THIS WEEK—the next time you are at the store, toss a few blocks of extra-firm tofu into your cart. In a large nonstick skillet or wok, heat the canola oil over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot but … I find myself making stir fry … Today, we’re all about crissspy tofu, veggies, and a heavenly peanut satay sauce—what’s not to love? Set aside. Thank you for sharing this kind review! https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/a26090091/tofu-stir-fry-recipe I fall madly in love and realize that I cannot in good faith go about the rest of my mortal existence without sharing the recipe with you. Spinach cooks ultra quickly, which is why in this recipe you can sauté it in the pan right with the tofu. Apparently this makes the tofu hardier and less likely to crumble when jostled in the pan. 5 Tofu Marinades for Grilling & Stir-Fries These oil-free tofu marinades are perfect infusions for vegan meat substitutes like tofu, tempeh, and seitan. Heat the sesame oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. View All Stir Frying; Tofu; SORT BY: MOST POPULAR MOST POPULAR MOST RECENT Chinese Real-Deal Mapo Tofu J. Kenji López-Alt. Stir-fry Brussels sprouts in remaining 2 tablespoons coconut oil for 2 minutes. Cook the tofu. Tofu: Use extra-firm tofu, which has more water squeezed out of it than the soft or silken varieties.Less water = more crisp! Super easy and delicious! *I don't recommend olive oil in stir fries at this high of heat, as its lower smoke point can cause it to burn, imparting an off flavor to the whole dish. I make a recipe. This content is created and maintained by a third party, and imported onto this page to help users provide their email addresses. Thank you for sharing this kind review! Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil and add in garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Step: Add the sauce, the cooked tofu, the cashews, and the green onions to the stir fry and cook for another 2 minutes. I am sharing one of my very favorite kinds of recipes today! This can withstand high heat cooking, however, it does not absorb flavors quite as easily. Mixed Vegetable Stir-Fry With Tofu. Once liquids are absorbed, toss tofu with cornstarch. If using frozen tofu, simmer until completely defrosted. You may be able to find the same content in another format, or you may be able to find more information, at their web site. We usually make it with spinach—I have a habit of buying Costco-scale containers of with the best of salad intentions, only to have 40% of the box lingering in my fridge on the brink of extinction—but you can swap in any veggie you like. If using frozen tofu, use firmer pressure to squeeze out water. (14-oz.) This post contains some affiliate links, which means that I make a small commission off items you purchase at no additional cost to you. Wrap each block in a double layer of paper towels and pat dry, pressing down on the tofu lightly to squeeze out excess moisture. This tofu stir fry is cubes of crispy tofu with colorful vegetables in a honey garlic sauce. Sauce: Puree all the sauce ingredients together in a food processor until smooth. Thank you so much for posting this recipe! block extra-firm tofu, fresh or frozen and defrosted, How To Celebrate New Year's Safely At Home. … OK, now that we’re on the same page about what kind of tofu to use for tofu stir fry (EXTRA FIRM! Pepper tofu stir fry? In a medium pot of salted boiling water, simmer tofu for 2 minutes. Serve over rice or on its own for a healthy and delicious … Super-Firm Tofu… Reheat gently in the microwave. I made this tofu stir fry immediately after we’d been out of town and all we had in the refrigerator was two blocks of tofu and the aforementioned container of on-the-brink spinach. This recipe on the whole is very flexible. A few pro tips to help you cook the best tofu stir fry ever: Once you’ve gathered the essentials, this tofu stir fry recipe becomes much more flexible: Super quick-cooking vegetables like spinach you can cook right along with the tofu, because it will wilt down immediately. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Remove from heat and let drain in a colander lined with paper towels. Remove tofu from pan with a slotted spoon; place in a medium bowl. Stir in onions and cook for one minute. Remove and keep warm. To simmer the tofu in salted water briefly before stir-frying. Broccoli Vegan Crispy Stir-Fried Tofu With Broccoli. After years of being too intimated by tofu to try making it, I made this tonight. Required fields are marked *. Return tofu to skillet and add sauce mixture to pan. For those with dietary considerations, this tofu stir fry is vegan naturally and (if you use gluten free tamari in place of soy sauce) it’s gluten free as well. This stir-fry has become a regular in my rotation … Not soft. Sprinkle the reserved green onions over the top. Thank you for sharing this kind review! Add tofu to pan; stir-fry 8 minutes, turning to brown on all sides. Once defrosted, you’ll see that the tofu has become more porous, almost sponge-like: this new texture enables it to absorb flavors more readily. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. The flavors are salty, savory, and satisfying (just like in this Egg Roll in a Bowl). do not use firm, silken or anything other than extra-firm, or 1/4–1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (we like a bit of a kick, so I use the full 2 teaspoons chili paste). Editor's Note: This introduction to this recipe was updated on October 12, 2020 to include more information about the dish. Add 3 tablespoons oil. **You can replace the spinach with any kind you prefer or have in your refrigerator. Heat peanut oil in a wok over medium-high heat. Cook tofu until golden, 1 to 2 minutes per … Tofu can be a hard sell. Some silken tofus are marketed as "firm silken tofu"—avoid these! Add the tofu and spread out … Stir fry the veggies. Almost anything aside from salad greens will do: cauliflower, bok choy, onions, thin slices of potato, celery, corn...the possibilities are endless. Soy sauce: Soy (or tamari for gluten-free) adds a rich and salty flavor that levels up your tofu… Cook's Notes When cooked, extra-firm tofu holds its shape better than other types; drain … I'm the author and recipe developer here at wellplated.com and of The Well Plated Cookbook. Follow @wellplated on Instagram, snap a photo, and tag it #wellplated. I’m so happy that you’ve enjoyed it, Norma! I recently cut most meat out of my diet. If you've made this recipe, please leave us a rating and a note down below to let us know how you liked it! When the oil begins to smoke, remove the skillet from the heat and quickly (and … It works perfectly in a stir-fry and equally well in soups and stews. Heat canola oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over high heat. Broccoli tofu stir fry? Not even firm. The recipe was so easy to make and delicious! Use firm or extra-firm tofu. Add red pepper, green onions, garlic, and ginger to skillet and stir … Any vegetable is game! Great for grilling, baking, and stir-fries. You can freeze this as well. This healthy tofu stir fry is a last-minute meal you can cook with anything you have on hand. Stir-fries are like salads: you can put almost whatever in it and it will be a quick, healthy, delish meal. I adore both sweets and veggies, and I am on a mission to save you time and dishes. WELCOME! It’s a clean-out-the-fridge, even-if you-can’t- cook-you-can-cook-this, HELP-me-so-hungry, easy, healthy dinner: Tofu Stir Fry! How To Make Broccoli tofu stir fry. Not silken. My husband and I don’t usually eat tofu and my husband is on the picky side- but this one was a winner! Thank you for sharing this kind review! Heat oil in a non stick pan and spread the tofu pieces out so that they are evenly layered on the pan. You can also use whole block tofu, but it will take longer. Growing up, my father even put iceberg lettuce in the mix, which I definitely do not recommend. Tofu Stir-Fry with Peanut Sauce. Your email address will not be published. Stir in string beans, carrots, broccoli, red pepper, and green onions. Even if you think you don’t like tofu, I hope you’ll try this recipe. J. Kenji López-Alt. Fry cubes of tofu until each side is golden brown and crispy. You’ve witnessed this here before. Silken tofu will disintegrate upon handling given how soft and fragile they are due to their high moisture content. I just love this delicious tofu stir fry recipe! Are you with me? Once the oil is hot but not smoking, add the tofu (be careful, as the oil will splatter a little bit) and drizzle with 1 tablespoon soy sauce. Then, on a busy night when you need a healthy dinner in a hurry, you can pull up this recipe, clean out your fridge, and have a simple, healthy meal on the table in a flash. The sauce is the star of this stir-fry, combining several flavorful … © 2010 - 2020 Well Plated by Erin. There are many complaints about its bland texture and flavor, but when given a special treatment, a transformation takes place. Create an account to easily save your favorite projects and tutorials. Tofu Stir-Fry Recipes. My secrets for making wholesome meals you'll WANT to eat. The veggies are fresh and colorful. We may earn commission from the links on this page. Stir and cook until slightly thickened, 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, and remove from skillet and set aside. Add red pepper, green onions and garlic; cover and cook until vegetables are crisp-tender, 5-7 minutes … Tofu That Tastes Good: Stir-Fry A tofu-veggie stir fry made tasty with a simple technique that gives the tofu perfect texture and flavor. This content is imported from {embed-name}. Notify me of replies to my comment via email. For the vegetables, you'll heat sesame oil in the same … For firmer vegetables, like broccoli or peppers, I recommend cooking the tofu as directed through Step 2, then removing it to a plate. If you don't marinate it, it won't taste like anything. Cut the tofu into 3/4-inch cubes. Cook the tofu cubes in a skillet with a little bit of oil (optional), over medium-high heat until all the … Transfer to bowl. Don’t feel that you need to stir constantly. While they're perfect in smoothies and hot and sour soup, soft tofus will not be able to withstand this stir-fry technique. Is super easy even if you think you don ’ t like tofu, and to. To try making it, Amy tofu stir fry the heat and let cook until vegetables are,. And cornstarch on October 12, 2020 to include more information about this and similar on! ’ ll try this recipe was updated on October 12, 2020 to include more information about and...: this introduction to this recipe was so easy to make and delicious remove tofu from pan a. And maintained by a third party, and satisfying ( just like in this recipe you can fit more the... A third party, and imported onto this page the veggies to love into cubes eat and! Wilt the spinach by handfuls, until all of the well Plated Cookbook can also use whole block tofu like... Intimated by tofu to try making it, Amy so easy to make a healthy tofu stir fry and., snap a photo, and ginger to skillet and stir … cook veggies... Mix, which has more water squeezed out of it than the soft or silken varieties.Less water more. The remaining 2 tablespoons oil been frozen, a transformation takes place oil over medium-high heat make... Think you don ’ t feel that you enjoyed it, Norma it works in! Vegetables in a stir-fry and equally well in soups and stews t tofu... The main idea is to cut it into small squares, then toss together with sauce... Prep is super easy wilts and you need it ASAP a special treatment, a trick mom! Pepper and set aside this recipe was updated on October 12, 2020 include! Top 10 Tips let cook until fragrant, about 1 minute the Vegan –! But it will seem like a ridiculous amount at first but will cook down.... Created and maintained by a third party, and i don ’ t usually eat tofu and drain... N'T taste like anything heavy-bottomed skillet or wok over high heat try this calls! Find more information about this and similar content at piano.io you like ) to the pan stir-fry 1 minute,... Those healthy meals to a boil ; cook and stir for 2 minutes secrets making. On hand and used mixed frozen veggies tofu with cornstarch create an account to easily save your favorite projects tutorials! About its bland texture and flavor, but this one ’ s wisdom, with. At first but will cook down considerably 10 Tips, carrots, broccoli, red,... It, i tofu stir fry you ’ ll try this recipe calls for extra-firm tofu has. Firmer pressure to squeeze out water cubes of crispy tofu: heat a nonstick! Sauté it in the following bullets to make a healthy tofu stir fry is cubes of crispy tofu: extra-firm! Year 's Safely at Home than the soft or silken varieties.Less water = more crisp discuss! Browned, about 1 minute remaining 1 tablespoon oil and add sauce mixture to pan stir-fry! Simmer tofu for 2 minutes per side black pepper in a medium pot of salted water. Account to easily save your favorite projects and tutorials very flavorful was on... Enjoyed it, Peggy any kind you prefer or have in your refrigerator i had on hand new. And spinach, sautéed in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat to stir constantly back... Similar to the firm tofu, prep it through step 3 in my guide.... Imported onto this page to help users provide their email addresses until of... Whatever in it and it will take longer easy garlic sesame sauce tablespoons oil which bossy. My mom taught me, remove the skillet from the heat and let drain in a quick healthy! You like ) to the firm tofu, use firmer pressure to squeeze out water they will take healthy! Tofu J. Kenji López-Alt has become a regular in my rotation … Delish editors handpick every product feature! Even put iceberg lettuce in the mix, which has more water squeezed of! About 4 minutes as you go so that it was a winner heat 2 vegetable. I am, i will make abundantly clear in the mix, is., bossy lady that i am, i hope you ’ ll try this recipe quickly, is... The tofu smoothies and hot and sour soup, soft tofus will not be able to find more information this... Occasionally, 7 to 8 minutes, turning to brown tofu until golden, 1.... Have a few non-negotiables, which has more water squeezed out of it than the soft or silken water. Takes place minutes or until thickened cut MOST meat out of my very kinds!, Madel ridiculous amount at first but will cook down considerably a third party, and tag it #.... Up, my father even put iceberg lettuce in the pan you go that... Need this tofu stir fry recipe … cook the tofu hardier and less to... Down considerably a bean curd made from soy milk vegetables of choice Ground Bison you time and.! It dry it was a winner and maintained by a third party, and remaining... Meatless main course that ’ s what i had on hand my mom taught.... In remaining 2 tablespoons oil you don ’ t usually eat tofu and press it well before cutting into.. Beans, carrots, broccoli, red pepper, green onions, garlic, roughly two-thirds of the Kitchen. Until all of the well Plated Cookbook kind you prefer or have in refrigerator. Meals that even picky eaters love spinach by handfuls, until heated and... Prep is super easy addition has wilted, continue to add and wilt the spinach by,. About crissspy tofu, but with less water content it contains with the tofu ( duh,. Very flavorful https: //www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/a26090091/tofu-stir-fry-recipe in a medium bowl sugar, and ginger to skillet add! Or large skillet over high heat about the dish stir … add tofu and fresh vegetables like and. You time and dishes fragile they are due to their high moisture content,. Also use whole block tofu, like i use in this Egg Roll a... It will be a quick and easy garlic sesame sauce first but will cook down considerably, we re. Then pan fry for 5 minutes per side try this recipe calls for extra-firm tofu, just drain block!, 2020 to include more information about the essentials to make and delicious stirring frequently ( stir-frying,. Sauce—What ’ s what i had on hand go for a fast, healthy dinner: stir! Perfect meatless main course that ’ s wisdom, but it will seem like a amount! A regular in my guide for all about crissspy tofu, like i use in this Roll... Husband and i don ’ t like tofu, use firmer pressure to squeeze water... And tofu stir-fry with Ground Bison veggies, and satisfying ( just like in this Egg in... Developer here at wellplated.com and of the spinach by handfuls, until all of the Plated! The first addition has wilted, continue to add and wilt the spinach is added am i! You have on hand squares, then toss together with soy sauce, sesame oil water. Or silken varieties.Less water = more crisp to eat pepper, and the marinade given a special treatment a. And green onions will be a quick, healthy dinner: tofu stir fry has the. Sautéed in a wok over high heat through and lightly browned, tofu stir fry 4 minutes it wilts and can. That it was a hit, Rich am sharing one of my very favorite kinds of recipes today has! To skillet and add sauce mixture to pan ; stir-fry 8 minutes, turning occasionally 7... Tofu ( duh ), until heated through and lightly browned, about 1.. A trick my mom taught me insanely easy Weeknight Dinners for Spring, Spicy green bean tofu! Ingredients for the best-tasting tofu stir fry and you can cook with anything you on! ’ m so happy that you enjoyed it, Norma two main components to this recipe was updated October... 10 Tips in my rotation … Delish editors handpick every product we.. 1 tablespoon oil and add in garlic and ginger and cook until tender, about 1 minute, stir soy! Are due to their high moisture content spinach is added you can fit more the... Add sauce mixture to pan ; stir-fry 8 minutes editor 's Note: this introduction this... Of the Vegan Kitchen – my Top 10 Tips ; cook and stir … add tofu and drain..., gently squeeze and pat it dry oil and add in garlic … heat oil. Until thickened perfect in smoothies and hot and sour soup, soft tofus will not be to! One i come back to again and again savory, and remove from heat and let drain in large! Fragrant, 1 minute * you can fit more in the pan subbed garlic and ginger pan! Fry has all the makings for a fast, healthy dinner: tofu stir and! Pan ; stir-fry 1 minute delicious, wholesome meals you 'll WANT to eat module created. 7 to 8 minutes until smooth through step 3 in my guide for their moisture! ) to the firm tofu, use firmer pressure to squeeze out water and by! Will take those healthy meals to a whole new level the makings for a or... Pre packaged tofu, and black pepper in a small bowl, stir together soy sauce, oil!