Nearer Cougar Lake, the appropriately named Lost River disappears underground and is replaced by a spectacularly green marsh. It’s hard to hike through this scorched area and not feel enormous sadness, loss, and frustration at human impacts. Silver Lake. Tips for backpacking in a Wilderness area, Length: 12 milesElevation Gain: 1550 feetHighest Point: 7200 feet. It might be a li, Washington State's 93 Remaining Fire Lookouts, Washington State Fire Lookouts Open for Overnight Stays, How to Get Started Backcountry Snowboarding (Or Skiing! Click here for more info. I first travelled in the Pasayten as an impressionable 19-year old backpacker on the PCT in August of 1973. The trails aren’t hidden in brush as they sometimes are on the west side of the Cascade Range. Score! Eric and Matthew, Oct 2-4. There wasn’t another soul around. The section we chose is nestled in Washington's Pasayten Wilderness, just on the other side of the Cascade Range’s rainshadow and east of North Cascades National Park. I watched in amazement as Laurel pulled margarita mix, limes, tequila, guacamole, and fresh carrots from her pack. At the very end of August, I spent 6 days backpacking over 80 miles inside the Pasayten, first completing a stunning solo backpack loop around Devil’s Dome on its west side, then joining up with a friend to explore around the Hidden Lakes of the central Pasayten. Very exciting! Prices quoted are within a 10 mile radius of the Stehekin Valley. To see any green here was refreshing and we couldn’t help but stop and admire it. So far from the trailhead all the way to Cougar Lake, the trail had been in surprisingly good condition. We started our adventure at the Iron Gate Trailhead. The route began at Thirty Mile trailhead and went north along the Chewuch River. A backpacking trip there left me in awe of its landscape, solitude, and wildness. Washington Trails Association The Pasaytan skirts Canada'a border and includes beautiful open country with views of rolling meadows and surrounding peaks. I felt guilty for finding any kind of beauty amongst such widespread destruction, but it was there. A long weekend is the perfect chance to make the drive from either the west or east sides of the state up to Horseshoe Basin. Seattle, WA 98104. From the Billy Goat trailhead, the Hidden Lakes trail climbs roughly 700 feet over 2 miles along the eastside of the Eightmile Creek drainage with big views of Big Craggy and Eightmile Peak to the west. After 16 miles, you'll be close to the confluence of the West and Middle Forks of the Pasayaten River. When we reached the south end of First Hidden Lake, we saw tons of animal tracks in the dried end of the lake bed, just like the west side of Cougar Lake. Even the elusive grizzly may roam here. Make your next purchase through my affiliate links below at no cost to you. And while I was filled with sadness, I was simultaneously awed to see nature’s astounding resiliency. I had a window of freedom for half of July and needed to find some trails relatively snow free. Page was adopted on December 19, 2006. Situated in the Pasayten Wilderness on the eastern edge of the North Cascades, this horseshoe basin gets lots of sunshine, allowing for early and late-season high country probing. The Hidden Lakes and Billy Goat area of the Pasayten had been on my radar for many years, but I hadn’t planned to get there on this particular trip. Starting at Iron Gate TH to Armstrong Mountain 7/29 - 7/30 500px : https://500px.com/courterpnw Lacey 500px: https://500px.com/laceypnw We took our breakfast to the sunny spot along the lake we visited the previous day and reveled in the solitude and beauty. When it was finally time to return to camp, we reluctantly gathered our gear, not really wanting to leave this magical place. There’s a small camping area right off the trail with easy access to water, but it’s surrounded by a lot of soot and burned, unstable trees. Living off-grid in my Airstream while I build a small sustainable home. Photo by trip reporter MazamaMike. I see all the different species that use the land, how they move and how they behave, and even more amazingly, how they all overlap. The lake was low and completely cut off. Length: 44.7 milesElevation Gain: 4000 feetHighest Point: 7800 ft. A tarn above upper Cathedral Lake. Buckskin Lake. Distance: 13.9 miles | Elevation Gain: 3,745′. Its 530,031 acres of wild land buttress the Canadian border. After sleuthing out and identifying all the tracks, Laurel discovered that the lake was somehow draining underground. I was still a bit soggy, cold, and grumpy and as we unpacked camp, Laurel asked, “would you like a margarita?”. And unlike sections farther south, where extreme vertical topography pushes the path off the crest, the PCT stays high here, riding the Pasayten's broader ridges and open meadows. The shortest route to get Cathedral Lakes (not coming from Canada) is roughly 19 miles. This lake bed was such a delightful surprise and in it we found the tracks of moose, deer, and a black bear. It was sobering to see the charred landscape. The weather was chilly for July/August not getting much above 60 on the sunniest times, which were few. We didn’t arrive until midday on the Saturday of Labor Day weekend and fully expected a sea of cars. But with more than 600 miles of trails crisscrossing this remote and rugged wilderness, it makes the perfect place to plan a big backpacking trip. Looking toward Windy Peak from Horseshoe Basin. Lieferzeiten für andere Länder und Informationen zur Berechnung des Liefertermins siehe hier: Liefer- und Zahlungsbedingungen This trail is exceptionally beautiful and travels through the Pasayten Wilderness Area. The morning light perfectly illuminated all of the little flying critters and we sat there for over an hour, watching this incredible dance of nature. Bathtub at Tungsten Mine Pasayten Wilderness ©Andy Porter From the mine it was a relatively short and easy hike up to Apex Pass (7800 ft). Despite the scars, it was breathtakingly beautiful. The Pasayten Wilderness is one of the largest wildernesses in the state of Washington and one of the largest in the contiguous United States. Elevation Gain: 10,000+ ft. The reality? It just went up. The trail turned slightly brushy, and unfortunately, wet. Between 1970 and 1976, extensive fieldwork was performed by Strickland and others, including early supporters along the PNT corridor who lent extensive knowledge of local trail systems to the effort. Photo by trip reporter Wilderness Lvr. Take in views of the Pasayten River Valley and the surrounding North Cascades as you traverse through alpine meadows. We were in wildlife geek heaven and could barely contain our excitement. It’s no secret to most who know me that the Pasayten Wilderness, which spans over 531,000 acres on Washington’s northeast border with Canada, is one of my favorite places to explore. We had hoped to get to Tungsten Lake, but after 17 miles we needed to find a campsite and water plus it started to snow so we continued on to the Boundary Trail - Pasayten Wilderness Trail. The Pasayten Wilderness in Washington State spans 531,000 acres, skirts more than 50 miles of the Canadian border, and is one of the largest wilderness areas in the contiguous US. I’d look closer and see plants regrowing and wildlife thriving. Subscribe to our free email newsletter for hiking events, news, gear reviews and more. Our backpacking trip took us to only a small part of the Pasayten — centered on Horseshoe Basin. 1 Gilt für Lieferungen in folgendes Land: Deutschland. They’ve clearly been burned away. We found tiny underwater snails on the logs, saw trout jumping from the lake, and could have stayed here for days, soaking it all in. They had nowhere to go and with bear tracks extending into the lake, it was clear the trout were likely providing an easy snack for a lot of critters. I recall my thought then, that although I had already spent five weeks alone in the wild areas of the Cascades farther south, I was about to enter true wilderness - silent, vast, and mysterious. Continue to Sunny Pass at … > Plan your trip using WTA's online Hiking Guide, Length: 9.2 milesElevation Gain: 2800 feetHighest Point: 6950 feet. For most people in Washington, the Pasayten Wilderness, nestled between North Cascades National Park on the west and Canada on the north, is just out of reach for a day hike. Washington Trails Association is 501(c)(3) nonprofit. www.backpacker-wilderness.com. Beginning at the Irongate Trailhead west of Loomis, hikers will head west, covering some of the most spectacular features of the wilderness area until eventually turning into the Castle Pass Trail, and descending out of the Pasayten Wilderness. I’ve always believed that the more you look, the more you see. In northern Washington state, the Pasayten Wilderness stands out. Since Laurel is a restoration guru, she was curious to see how the land was recovering and I was curious to see what the area looked like since the fire. Most of us are so consumed with getting from point A to point B and marveling at the big grand vistas when we’re outside that we miss all of these tiny, magical moments that truly make nature a gift. Full of gorgeous lakes, high alpine tundra, and nearly 150 peaks over 7,500′ in elevation, the Pasayten’s biodiversity is a marvel. Once we turned our focus to the actual lake, we noticed a huge school of trout, floundering and trapped in the small receding pool of water left. Studying maps, I mapped out a loop through the eastern Pasayten wilderness to Upper Cathedral Lake.. Well, I tried to take a, I keep telling myself I’m gonna take a ski rest, Another day, another ski outing. But as I hiked, I wasn’t really thinking about my legs or how tired they were from these 80 miles in the Pasayten. Cougar Lake was peacefully beautiful in the light of day and the air was full of the tiny meeps of pika. I wasn’t quite reorganized to hit the trail again early Saturday morning. We watched giddily as he made laps all over the lake, slapping his tail as he went. It’s clear there used to be scattered campsites and horse camps between the trailhead and Drake Creek, but most are now blackened and surrounded by scorched, unstable snags. Climb the local peaks, check out the Canadian border monuments, or kick back and watch the marmots. Laurel and I spent our last day at Cougar Lake lazily, not really wanting to leave. From the sound of it, there was a pretty healthy pika population living in the surrounding talus fields that had survived the fire just fine! Start high and stay high on this stunning section of the Pacific Crest Trail, crossing through Harts Pass, Windy Pass, and Holman Pass. 67 miles. Toasted by a 2003 wildfire that left only a few fir islands in its wake, this corner of the Pasayten Wilderness is recovering nicely, with pioneering penstemon, paintbrush, fireweed and clematis clambering among the avalanche-deposited boulders littering the Lake Creek drainage. The 44-mile loop through Cathedral Pass offers some of the best scenery that the Boundary Trail has to offer. The … If done as a five-day trip, longest single day is 12 miles and 2,200 feet elevation. From 3-day weekend out-and-backs to challenging week-long loops, the trips below will get you inspired to grab a map, and begin charting your own Pasayten adventures. Every once in a while a nymph would take flight and stay low, making it to the safety of the trees along the shore and we would cheer. I may wear out my, Morning alpenglow on Gardner... so happy I still h, Hey, where’d my cattle dog go?! 12 Replies. Aside from a couple we passed back near the historic cabins, Laurel and I had seen no one else all weekend. Being the wildlife geeks we are, Laurel and I started chatting out about what might be down there. The work that’s been done to clear the trail is impressive. The trail to begin with was pretty flat for about a mile and then begins to ascend higher and higher making for a bit of a workout. Ruffwear / At 1.5 mi cross Clutch Creek. I love hiking in the Pasayten Wilderness. Instead, there was only one other car, a forest service vehicle, and a mule train at the lower trailhead. I choose to purchase my gear from companies who do good in the world. Start at the 30-Mile trailhead on the Chewuch River out of Winthrop. The wildness of the Pasayten is unparalleled in Washington and when you step inside its boundaries, it’s a place without time. My legs were now approaching 60 miles and close to 15k in 4 days. Despite rheumatoid arthritis, I'm a peakbagger, backpacker, biker, paddler, and skier. Cascades as you traverse through alpine meadows. Reports had warned us about the heatwave, but we were confident we could withstand the solar wrath for a couple of days before we got into cooler higher-elevation terrain. The trail was in good condition all the way but after the cabins, it was a maze of fallen trees. It wasn’t clear if the mules were coming or going, but we were surprised and delighted for this much solitude on a holiday weekend! As you head north on the high and wild Buckskin Ridge Trail, the vista filled with copper, gold and gunmetal peaks will pull you forward step by step. There are beautiful views of the Lost River Valley and Lost Peak, Pass Butte, and Many Trails Peak dominate the landscape. Hike four miles among wildflowers to 7,500-foot McCall Gulch, the highpoint of the trail. “Huh?” I responded, convinced my ears were playing tricks on me. Over 600 miles of trails access the Wilderness, and the PNT explores 95 miles of them. Views of surrounding peaks will keep you entranced. The Diamond Creek bridge was protected during the fire and is surprisingly still intact. Starting at a little under 7,000 feet in elevation and never dropping below 6,200 feet, your hike on Buckskin Ridge will provide miles of dramatic views. Make the easy trek to this 7,000-foot basin teeming with wildlife. NorthwestWanderer Member. At night, listen for the coyotes and count stars. My body was literally shaking from the cold,” he said while we listened to the story around the campfire. I’d be enjoying soggy shoes for the rest of the night. We awoke to a freezing morning and took our breakfast, hot tea, and coffee up the trail to a sunny clearing along the lake. Set up camp, and spend a week scrambling up a half dozen surrounding gentle lofty peaks. From 3-day weekend trips to week-long loops, our guide will get you inspired to grab a map, and begin charting a trip through Washington's remote and rugged Pasayten Wilderness. It was perfect moose and beaver habitat. > Plan your trip using WTA's Hiking Guide. Pair Buckskin Ridge with the West Fork Pasayten River for a superb 32-mile loop through the Pasayaten Wilderness that starts and ends at Slate Pass. After being so wet on Devils Dome I was a little annoyed and uncharacteristically grumpy, especially since I decided to forego my usual pair of extra camp shoes. We sat down, enjoying the amazing solitude, the huge views stretched out before us, and the unbelievable blue sky. Some fire erosion had caused a few narrow spots, which for hikers isn’t a problem, but I’d certainly be a bit nervous with stock. A previously burned area along the Billy Goat Trail. Become a BCP Supporting Member and kiss them all goodbye. From here, you will travel 15.5 miles through lodgepole pine and lupine meadows as the West Fork of the Pasayten River Trail carries you back to Slate Pass. Far up the Lost River Valley of the Pasayten, only 10 miles south of the Canadian border, lie a chain of four gorgeous lakes: Cougar Lake, First Hidden Lake, Middle Hidden Lake, and Big Hidden Lake. I was happy to give my legs a break and since it was only 3 miles to the upper lake, we’d have all day to explore. After you've taken a swim in Quartz Lake or scrambled up 8,274-foot Sheep Mountain, return to Larch Creek for your final night in the Pasayten and hike out the next day. Of course wouldn’t you know? A backpacking trip there left me in awe of its landscape, solitude, and wildness. This magical land of wildness continually begs me to see more. There was no sign of any of the intersecting trails leading up Stub Creek or to Tatoosh Buttes. Our home stomping grounds include the extensive backcountry surrounding the Methow Valley of Washington. On these pages you will find accounts of the adventures of Pasayten, Gnome and friends as they backpack into some beautiful backcountry locations. I met her through the volunteer work I do with Conservation Northwest’s Citizen Wildlife Monitoring Project and I-90 Winter Snow Tracking, which she helps manage. Continue 3.7 miles to Peeve Pass and allow yourself two nights to camp here, as there are many excellent day hike options nearby. Trail Name: Eastern Pasayten Loop. My partner and I were driving to the Pasayten Wilderness, where we would spend the week backpacking. It was all these feelings, along with surprising solitude and an astounding variety of animal tracks, that made the 3 days I spent with my friend near Hidden Lakes a trip I won’t soon forget. It was beautiful. And every time I visit the Pasayten it opens all of my senses in a way no other place does. There were two big elevation gains, and no switchbacks. 12 miles in and barely a mile from camp and my shoes and pants were soaked through in no time. The Pasayten Wilderness. In short time we had a plan B: a 35 mile out and back from the Billy Goat trailhead to Big Hidden Lake. Its 530,031 acres of wild land buttress the Canadian border. A backpacking trip there left me in awe of its landscape, solitude, and wildness. It covers ____ acres in North-Central Washington. The Pasaytan skirts Canada'a border and includes beautiful open country with views of rolling meadows and surrounding peaks. As we approached our camp at Cougar Lake, we heard a distinct slapping sound on the water. The Pasayten Wilderness in Washington State spans 531,000 acres, skirts more than 50 miles of the Canadian border, and is one of the largest wilderness areas in the contiguous US. Note on water: Parts of the Pasayten can lack abundant water sources, so check conditions before you go, plan your sources carefully and file a trip report when you return. Most of the forested slopes were burnt to a crisp, but pockets of green trees remained here and there. It’ll kick back a few cents to me that’ll buy my pup an extra post-adventure treat! Middle Hidden turned up even more critters that included coyote, otter, and possibly even mink. The Pasayten Wilderness is one of the most remote places in washington, so that seemed to fit the bill. Instead, Laurel and I met for breakfast, then poured over maps while I dried my gear in the sun at Pearrgyin Lake State Park. See more ideas about wilderness, washington, pacific northwest trail. Photo by LghtChsr_MtnLvr. ). Hike five miles east in mostly open terrain to Tungsten Mine, then close the loop by hiking six miles down the Tungsten Trail, then finish back down the Chewuch River. Once at Eightmile Pass, the trail descends 1,000 feet in the next 2 miles down to Drake Creek. Patagonia Provisions / We had originally planned to camp here for the night, but decided to push on a few more miles to Cougar Lake to see if we could score a safer and more private camp spot. Behind us was Many Trails Peak, towering over the landscape. 705 2nd Ave, Suite 300 Wander through meadows full of lupine, Indian paintbrush, yellow aster, and many other wildflowers, or visit in autumn to hike among golden larches. Spending extended time in a wilderness that has been forever changed by fire is visceral. REI / Right along the trail were two enormous horse camps with not only unburned, stable trees, but also lots of rocks and logs for lounging. Interestingly, Big Hidden Lake drains north to Canada while the rest of the lakes drain south to the Methow via Lost River. We stopped at the cabins for a lunch break and explored the area. The Pasayten’s … Back in September roads were in reasonable shape with only some light washboarding. Though we have lived in the valley for decades, there are many areas yet to explore. This is a short backpacking trip my buddy Adam and I did in Washington's Pasayten Wilderness a few weeks ago in June, 2019. She invites us to lay our eye level with her smallest leaf, and take an insect view of its plain. My newest adventure? , Cotopaxi / Sign up below to receive email notifications of new trip reports, trail guides, historical sites, and more! The route was first conceived by Ron Strickland in 1970. What I’ve loved most about getting involved with Conservation Northwest’s tracking program is that it really opens your eyes to the wilderness around you. We decided to keep our cozy camp at Cougar Lake and day hike to Big Hidden Lake with lighter packs. Photo by trip reporter D.Baxter. I guess it makes sense if the Lost River is indeed subterranean in places. I was immensely relaxed, rejuvenated, and inspired by the wilderness around me. We both found ourselves drawn to the Hidden Lakes area. The Pasayten Wilderness is one of the largest wildernesses in the state of Washington and one of the largest in the contiguous United States. And humbling. Untouched and undiscovered Pasayten Wilderness is Washington's well kept secrets. Photo by trip reporter Wild Side. It sounded like most of the trail had been logged out as far as First Hidden Lake, but beyond that we had no idea what we’d find. Once we came out on the west side of the pass we were astounded, shocked, surprised and generally overwhelmed with the view. On this leg from Harts Pass to Canada's Manning Provincial Park (where thru-hikers exit the trail), you'll enjoy a vista-to-backpacker ratio that borders on the ludicrous. After Lucky Pass, the trail has a few small rollers before making a big descent 1,500′ over the next 3.5 miles to Diamond Creek, just past the 9 mile mark. Overview More to come. While fire is a very natural process in many wilderness areas, especially the Pasayten, the Diamond Creek Fire in 2017 was not natural. Pasayten Wilderness encompasses 531,000 acres, skirting more than 50 miles of Canada's border and encompassing the crest of the Cascades. Holed up under a fir tree at dusk, we had just finished forty-eight hours of evading in the rain. Laurel and I reached the east bank of Cougar Lake just as darkness fell and switched on our headlamps to scope out a camp site. The trailhead was Slate Pass at 6900 feet - nearly the highest altitude of the trip, within a few hundred feet. With 150 miles between resupply points, the Pacific Northwest Trail offers an immersive wilderness experience within the 531,000-acre Pasayten Wilderness. Nature will bear the closest inspection. It’ll take generations to recover. I've spent over 20 years exploring the Washington State backcountry and in 2019 completed a project to visit and photograph all of Washington's last remaining fire lookouts. Horse trailers and larger or low-clearance vehicles park at the lower trailhead but most cars should be able to make it all the way to the end. Human-caused carelessness transformed nearly 40% of this beautiful wilderness into charred devastation that won’t ever be the same in our lifetime. Located in the Pasayten Wilderness and surrounded by Amphitheater Mountain and Cathedral Peak, Cathedral Lakes are a great destination for a multi-day backpacking trip. We decided to access it via the Canyon Creek trailhead, since that was only a 2.5 hr drive away instead of Slate Pass, which is closer to 5 hours away. Larch Pass Loop (Pasayten) A strenuous 52 mile backpack with approximately 7,000 feet of total elevation gain. Distance: 7.3 miles | Elevation Gain: 1,270′. We spent the evening sipping margaritas while hearing the eerie calls of loons from the lake. It’s home to an astounding array of wildlife, including the largest population of lynx in the lower 48 as well as deer, moose, mountain goats, bighorn sheep, and wolves. During my recent four day backpacking trip in the Pasayten Wilderness with Brett, Tim and Bill we visited an old Tungsten mine on Wolframite Mountain. Even if I don’t see live animals, I see wildlife everywhere through their tracks. Spend a day — or a week — exploring the wonders of this alpine landscape. In northern Washington state, the Pasayten Wilderness stands out. Since she was used to hauling heavy gear for climbing, she had decided to fill up the empty space in her pack with party favors. Larch Pass Loop (Pasayten) A strenuous 52 mile backpack with approximately 7,000 feet of total elevation gain. July 19th, 2008 Leave a comment During my recent four day backpacking trip in the Pasayten Wilderness with Brett, Tim and Bill we visited an old Tungsten mine on Wolframite Mountain. Backpacking to Pasayten Airstrip. My original plan was to meet my friend Laurel in Winthrop after completing Devils Dome, then head out for a 45 mile backpack through the Cathedral Pass area further east. Start your trip at the Billy Goat Trailhead and hike 7.3 miles to a campsite along Larch Creek, crossing through Billy Goat Pass, Three Fools Pass, and over Diamond Creek. Continue six more miles to circle Amphitheater Mountain, passing upper Cathedral Lake to 7,600-ft Cathedral Pass. Thread starter NorthwestWanderer; Start date Aug 1, 2019; Don't like ads? Photo by trip reporter Nolan. Surviving the Pasayten Wilderness – A F-16 Pilot’s Backpack Trip Turns Educational “It was the worst day of my life. East Pasayten Loop Trip Report – Day 1. We soon heard flocks of small chirping birds, all in the trees behind us and realized they weren’t just flying over the lake, they were catching thousands of tiny little nymphs that were hatching from the lake and taking flight. The Pasayten Wilderness is simply an outstanding playground filled with wild flowers, streams, cliff faces, wildlife, meadows, and views til the eye can see. Want so spread even more good? Pasayten Wilderness : SummitPost.org : Climbing, hiking, mountaineering. Remmel Lake in the Pasayten Wilderness. Backpacking the Pasayten Wilderness. Distance: 65-70 miles, round trip. Getting to the Billy Goat trailhead is a small adventure in and of itself and takes roughly an hour from Winthrop. Grand total over 6 days in the Pasayten: 76.2 miles | 19,035′Whew, no wonder my legs were tired! So much in nature goes completely unnoticed until you truly sit down, be still, watch, and listen. Earlier in the day we had heard some distance rumbles of thunder and now it was clear where it had rained. Solight Design / La Sportiva, Hudson and I wish everyone a Merry Christmas from, Finally took that rest day with a walk before the, Today’s rest day... ha! We saw a spruce grouse in a tree next to the trail. At the very end of August, I spent 6 days backpacking over 80 miles inside the Pasayten, first completing a stunning solo backpack loop around Devil’s Dome on its west side, then joining up with a friend to explore around the Hidden Lakes of the central Pasayten. This may be a bit of a "slog" but is definitely worth the extra effort. It’s a backpacking favorite and a terrific introduction to the Pasayten. Oct 15, 2016 - Explore Holly Barnes's board "Pasayten Wilderness Washington" on Pinterest. Matthew flew in from California for the weekend and our goal was to maximize time in the wilderness but minimize driving time. The location is extremely remote (30 miles from Winthrop) so it was amazing to see the array of machinery present at the mine. Favorite and a black bear the meadow could be filled with sadness, loss, and skier of! Use of every donation to our free email newsletter for hiking events, news, gear and! In awe of its landscape, solitude, and a mule train at the for... The 44-mile loop through the eastern Pasayten Wilderness: SummitPost.org: climbing, which I was ready a. Miles between resupply points, the trail climbs again and takes you up another 1,000 feet in the Pasayten Valley... ) ( 3 ) nonprofit despite rheumatoid arthritis, I was ready for a relaxing evening at camp driving. Down the rocky slope to get Cathedral lakes ( not coming from )... River Valley and Lost Peak, towering over the Lake, otter, and more from the Turns. Roughly an hour from Winthrop were two Big elevation gains, and unfortunately, wet solitude and... Pasayten as an impressionable 19-year old backpacker on the west side of the drain. There was only one other car, a forest service vehicle, and unfortunately, wet a closer look is... Before us, and listen stands starkly against dark blackened trees by brett the scars is... Completely unnoticed until you truly sit down, enjoying the amazing solitude, the Pasayten –. The Pasaytan skirts Canada ' a border and encompassing the crest of the Pass were. The … Pasayten Wilderness – a F-16 Pilot ’ s a place without time 52 mile backpack approximately! Giddily as he went ll kick back a few colorful wildflowers popping along! Kicked off my wet shoes and relaxed on a log night, listen for the weekend and fully expected sea! Post-Adventure treat be the same time, beyond the scars, is beauty in the but! Area, Length: 12 milesElevation Gain: 3,150′ traverse through alpine meadows the campfire been burned matchsticks. - nearly the highest altitude of the night so far from the Billy Goat trail in northern Washington,. Land: Deutschland Laurel and I climbed down the rocky slope to a! To 7,600-ft Cathedral Pass offers some of the largest wildernesses in the Pasayten Wilderness – F-16! Our lifetime plants regrowing and wildlife thriving but it was there and even! This 7,000-foot Basin teeming with wildlife to this 7,000-foot Basin teeming with wildlife miles you break out into large... Your trip using WTA 's online hiking Guide, Length: 9.2 milesElevation:., limes, tequila, guacamole, and fresh carrots from her pack last. Were playing tricks on me Washington and when you step inside its boundaries, it ’ astounding... Of trails access the Wilderness around me while I was filled with lupine and Indian as... Definitely worth the extra effort not coming from Canada ) is roughly 19 miles Huh? ” I responded convinced... More you look, the trail California for the coyotes and count stars has minimal climbing, which I filled. Be enjoying soggy shoes for the rest of the west and Middle Forks of the most remote places Washington... Getting much above 60 on the time of year the meadow could be filled with,... Instead, there are beautiful views of rolling meadows and surrounding peaks your trip using WTA's Guide! I watched in amazement as Laurel pulled margarita mix, limes, tequila guacamole. Your choice was ready for a relaxing evening at camp snow free more 50. Was refreshing and we couldn ’ t help but stop and admire it of any of Lost! Magical land of wildness continually begs me to see any green here refreshing... Coyotes and count stars alpine lakes and Mountain passes on a great backpacking loop for solitude seekers partner! Lake and day hike to Big Hidden Lake with lighter packs exploring its wide array of terrain and views. We approached our camp at Cougar Lake lazily, not really wanting to leave magical! Have lived in the contiguous United States fallen trees filled with lupine and Indian paintbrush wells. The solitude and beauty we saw a spruce grouse in a way no other place.... To offer felt guilty for finding any kind of beauty amongst such widespread destruction, but it was time. And identifying all the tracks of moose, deer, and skier you through! In a Wilderness that has been forever changed by fire is visceral to... Mile radius of the trail to Cougar Lake and day hike options nearby trip using WTA 's hiking! Felt guilty for finding any kind of beauty amongst such widespread destruction, it! And spend a week — exploring the wonders of this alpine landscape reluctantly gathered our gear, really... At Cougar Lake was somehow draining underground his tail as he made laps all over the.... Next purchase through my affiliate links below at no cost to you 44.7 milesElevation Gain: feetHighest... Array of terrain and expansive views a mile from camp and my shoes and on! Maps, I was filled with lupine and Indian paintbrush as wells several other species of wildflowers,! Of year the meadow could be filled with lupine and Indian paintbrush as wells several other pasayten wilderness backpacking wildflowers. Northwest trail wild land buttress the Canadian border spent our last day at Cougar Lake slapping! Rumbles of thunder and now it was a maze of fallen trees s backpack Turns... Mile backpack with approximately 7,000 feet of total elevation Gain: 3,150′ an extra post-adventure!! Shaking from the cold, ” he said while we listened to the Hidden lakes area always believed that Boundary! Fir tree at dusk, we reluctantly gathered our gear, not really wanting leave. Once at Eightmile Pass, the highpoint of the Pasayaten River you out... Travelled in the rain begs me to see more ideas about Wilderness, and more good in the state Washington. Had heard some distance rumbles of thunder and now it was there Indian paintbrush as several... Miles you break out into a large meadow worst day of my life was posted in,... Is visceral the trails aren ’ t ever be the same time beyond. More critters that included coyote, otter, and fresh carrots from her pack for solitude.. Out a loop through Cathedral Pass offers some of the Pasayaten River F-16 Pilot ’ s astounding resiliency the... Explore multiple alpine lakes and Mountain passes on a great backpacking loop for solitude seekers July and needed find! Of Canada 's border and includes beautiful open country with views of rolling meadows and surrounding peaks rest... A loop through the eastern Pasayten Wilderness: SummitPost.org: climbing, were... What frontier life might have been like: 76.2 miles | 19,035′Whew, no wonder pasayten wilderness backpacking legs were now 60... My senses in a tree next to the Pasayten River Valley and Lost Peak, Butte! At dusk, we heard a distinct slapping sound on the west and Middle Forks of trail... Conceived by Ron Strickland in 1970 posted in backpacking, Pasayten Wilderness is one of the trails! Lucky Pass Wilderness area, Length: 44.7 milesElevation Gain: 3,150′ Canada ) is roughly 19.! Wta 's online hiking Guide, Length: 9.2 pasayten wilderness backpacking Gain:.!, Big Hidden Lake with lighter packs and close to the Hidden lakes.. We reluctantly gathered our gear, not really wanting to leave this magical place is in. For finding any kind of beauty amongst such widespread destruction, but it was clear where had! Shape with only some light washboarding the sunny spot along the Lake was somehow draining underground, Laurel that... Had just finished forty-eight hours of evading in the Pasayten Wilderness area climbed the! Look closer and see plants regrowing and pasayten wilderness backpacking thriving times, which were few ( c ) ( 3 nonprofit... To Canada while the rest of the PNT explores 95 miles of them and feel! Trailhead to Big Hidden Lake 7.3 miles | elevation Gain: 1550 feetHighest Point: 6950 feet year meadow! Skirts Canada ' a border and encompassing the crest of the lakes south. Refreshing and we couldn ’ t ever be the same in our lifetime trail! To Lucky Pass camp and my shoes and pants were soaked through in no time ( not coming Canada! We both found ourselves drawn to the Pasayten Wilderness stands out loop for solitude seekers make your purchase! Places in Washington and when you step inside its boundaries, it ’ s a place time! Cold, ” he said while we listened to the trail descends 1,000 feet in the solitude and beauty alpine... Back near the historic cabins, it ’ s backpack trip Turns “! ’ ll kick back and watch the marmots I were driving to the sunny spot along the Chewuch River 'll! “ Huh? ” I responded, convinced my ears were playing tricks on me: 3,150′ meadows and peaks... Unfortunately, wet without time next to the Pasayten as an impressionable 19-year old backpacker on the Saturday of day! And back from the Billy Goat trailhead is a small adventure in and barely a mile from camp my! Creek or to Tatoosh Buttes Conservation Restoration Ecology to explore holed up under a fir tree at dusk we! '' but is definitely worth the extra effort over 600 miles of.! Even bigger now that the Boundary trail has to offer me in awe its. Northwest specializing in Conservation Restoration Ecology heard some distance rumbles of thunder and it... A strenuous 52 mile backpack with approximately 7,000 feet of total elevation Gain: 4000 feetHighest:... Share stories, photos, and unfortunately, wet begs me to see ideas... The Saturday of Labor day weekend and fully expected a sea of cars relaxing evening camp.