Lightly grease two 8'' baking pans. It’s definitely a British heritage, from the days when both countries were part of the Commonwealth. ♥ If you like the recipe, don’t forget to leave me a comment and that all important, 5-star rating! I find Darjeeling or Earl Grey to be the perfect choice. So there we go. Strain with a fine mesh strainer and reserve the coconut milk. 3. Stir once before you go to bed, and again when you get up the next day. The one without the alcohol will keep a good 2 weeks, if wrapped in clingfilm or foil and kept in an airtight container. Add the coconut milk, vanilla and melted butter to the egg mixture and beat for 1 minute. You can easily find it in the menu of Dim Sum Restaurants. World Cuisine. Carefully place steamer basket over boiling water and steam at high heat for 20 mins and 10 more … 3. Any purchases made by clicking them may earn me a small commission.. This cake is made using sago or sabudana. 4. Malaysian cassava cake recipe. Brandy is the perfect choice. Hey folks, I’m Azlin Bloor; former chef, culinary instructor and food stylist. South Asian Recipes (India, Pakistan & Sri Lanka), Kukus = steamed, to steam, pronounced coo-cose (s sound, not z). To store, take it out of the pan, and wrap with clingfilm, then a foil, and leave somewhere cool. This version of steamed cake is the simplest as it only consists of egg-sugar-flour. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. It’s easy to make and can be steamed … Grab a bamboo steamer (or cake pan) and line the inside with some parchment paper. There are stories of fruit cakes being kept for years. Kek kukus with alcohol will keep for 2-3 months, if stored in an airtight container. 港式蒸馬拉糕- 簡單做法 How to Make Cantonese Steam Sponge Cake - Easy Recipe. Now add the mixed fruit (along with any leftover liquid, tea or alcohol), and stir well. Or clotted cream! Cake is done when skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean. Place into your steamer and let the batter rest for 40 mins. Steamed Kuih Lapis is a popular snack in Malaysia and Singapore and it literally means layer cake in Malay. But don't leave it to be too brown, as it'll get bitter, which means your cake will be bitter. Scrape the bottom of the bowl and add 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract, ⅓ cup evaporated milk, and 1½ … Beat the eggs with a beater on medium speed for 20 seconds. It’s in the Malay language, so a little Malay Language lesson, methinks? Steamed Egg Sponge Cake, known as Ji Dan Gao 鸡蛋糕 is a light and fluffy Chinese spongecake with eggy goodness. If you fancy reading up on the racial make up of these 2 countries, head on over to the Singaporean and Malaysian page, where you’ll also find a huge number of recipes. 1. Delicious, just like my granny used to make it. It’s a pretty easy recipe to make, all we do is: When using dried fruit, you must, you must, you must soak them for a few hours, preferably overnight. Make this Christmas wreath with a hanger! Steam for 4 hours. Out of these cookies, the cookies that are categorized as necessary are stored on your browser as they are as essential for the working of basic functionalities of the website. Besides reacting with the sodium bicarb to aid rise. Pour the eggs into the cooled sugar/fruit mix and stir with a wooden spoon to mix thoroughly. In our traditional Christmas pudding, I use a mix of brandy and sweet sherry. To some extent, the darker the caramel, the darker your cake. Not unlike our (British) Christmas cake and Christmas pudding. Prepare your boiling water. Magic Cake vanilla and lemon - Video recipe ! Add the butter and stir to melt and mix. Leave to brew for 4 minutes. There is no need to stir. The second grease is to allow your cake to come off easily, whether your liner is stick proof or no! Preheat the steamer by bringing the water to a boil with the lid on. Method. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. So we’re going to start our recipe the night before. I make Christmas pudding in November and still use them at Easter for trifles and puddings. Steam for 30 minutes over high heat. Repeat the steps alternating colors until all the batters are used. Full Recipe: https://bit.ly/2LrCCJPKueh Ubi Kayu is also made from grated tapioca like Kueh Bingka, but it is steamed instead of baked. Kek Kukus (Singaporean and Malaysian Steamed Fruit Cake) Published 15/12/2020 , updated 15/12/2020 Leave a Comment Kek kukus recipe, a delicious, old fashioned steamed fruit cake from Singapore and Malaysia. Jun 30, 2020 - Malaysian Steamed Cake - Mah Lai Goh (馬拉糕) | Saucy Spatula. Next, steam the mixture in a steamer until it firms up and cooked. Lower the heat (to low) and leave the sugar to brown. I’ve always identified it as a Eurasian cake, as it’s always something that was around at Christmas time. Kuih Sago or Sago Cake Recipe is one of the easiest recipe you could ever make. Place the saucepan on medium-low heat and leave it to dissolve. Because our tea will be boiling hot, the dried fruit need only an hour or so. CHECK THE WATER LEVEL PERIODICALLY to ensure that you don't boil away all the water. Sift the flour, baking soda and baking powder in a bowl. Darjeeling (or Earl Grey) tea leaves (or 3 bags). METHOD: 1. Lift each piece out and arrange in a circle to form a flower. If you’ve never soaked your fruit to make kek kukus before, try it and see, you’ll be amazed at the difference it makes. I’m sure you’ve heard of them. Cutting the butter in a few pieces will make this step quicker. Here is a parftaite recipe to satisfy your greed and that of your family! Kek Kukus has a fairly good shelf life. Sift the flour, baking soda and … So if you haven’t quenched that thirst, they are going to drink up all the moisture in your cake batter, leaving you with a not-so-moist cake. When I only have a couple of slices, I zap it in the microwave oven for 30 – 60 seconds. However, as with many Singaporean and Malaysian recipes, the “ownership” of kek kukus is also a subject of contention by the various local ethnicities. Malaysian chicken curry (coconut based curry). Dried fruit (raisins, sultanas, etc) are thirsty little things. This step is to allow us to get that caramel flavour and dark colour synonymous with kek kukus. I know traditional recipes do allow for soaking, after the fruit is added to the caramel and butter mix. Defrost on the counter for a couple of hours, then steam it for an hour to “fluff up” and warm up. This is especially important if you are planning to use alcohol for this. Explore. Using a balloon whisk, gently but quickly fold in all the flour so that the batter does not deflate; yet all the flour is combined. These cookies do not store any personal information. However, the alcohol you use is going to be at room temperature, so the raisins, etc are going to need more time to soak it up. I’m just not that brave! Pour the … Steam over high heat for 45 minutes, or until cooked. Printable Recipe Ingredients 3 eggs 1 cup whole milk 1/2 cup water 1/2 lb glutinous rice flour 1 package Betty Crocker Cake Mix (preferably lemon, any other flavours work as well) Procedure 1. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the liquid mixture until combined. Don't let it go dry. Especially if you’re going to feed it with alcohol every month or so. Recipe adapted from 'Magic Steamed Cake' by Alex Goh Ingredient 3 eggs 100gm sugar 4 slices cheddar cheese 125gm… Hot Buttered Brandy, a Warming Winter Drink, Brussels Sprouts with Chorizo (Delicious Christmas Side Dish), Tandoori Turkey Recipe and Video (Smoked in your Regular Home Oven). In home kitchen, you can make the recipe by mixing grated cassava, sugar, coconut milk, water, potato starch and salt until well combined. 3. Made 2 yesterday with alcohol.  Thank you! It’s left for an hour. Check it after 7-10 minutes. Combine pandan leaves and ½ of the coconut milk in a blender or food processor.Blend for a few minutes. Asian Recipes. Copyright Azlin Bloor LinsFood.com 2011-2020. 2. Stir, cover, and leave to soak overnight. But opting out of some of these cookies may have an effect on your browsing experience. ... Dim Sum Sponge Cake Recipe. I’ll explain why. I find that steamed cake usually taste lighter and less oilier compared to bake version. So you don't want a mix that's too warm, as your eggs will scramble. But many prefer rum. In a separate bowl, combine and sift rice flour and cake. Mix everything up well, using a wooden spoon. Grease, line and grease a 20cm (8") cake pan. Even more so after 2 days as the flavours develop and the cake gets more moist. Add the coconut milk, vanilla and melted butter to the egg mixture and beat for 1 minute. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. Leave it to bubble gently for 2 minutes. It is best to use cake flour, rather than all-purpose flour for this recipe, as cake flour gives a finer and light texture to the cake. At the end of the hour, fill the base of your steamer to its maximum point and place on the stove on high heat, as you get the cake ready to steam. Pour in slightly more than 1/2 cup (130 ml) of red color batter, cover with lid and steam for 3 minutes or until the batter is set. Pour batter into lightly oil greased bowls (or ramekins) until 80% full. This is how I make our Christmas puddings and cakes, so it just made sense to apply the same method to this childhood recipe. Food And Drink. ‘Kuih Sago Ros’ is the Malay name of this rose-flavoured sago dessert which is popular in Malaysia and Singapore. Line an 8-inch cake pan with wax paper or parchment paper. Recipe … Using a spatula, fold the flour mixture into the egg mixture, being careful not to over mix. Pour the brandy all over the fruit. I am always too lazy for that! But you don't want the sugar burnt. Sift the flour into a bowl and stir in the mixed spice and sodium bicarbonate. Serve with garlic chilli sauce at room temperature. Resift the flour mixture over the prepared batter. Your email address will not be published. Stir in the vanilla, followed by the flour mix (which would have the mixed spice and sodium bicarb in). The first grease allows the liner to stick to the pan. You could also freeze this steamed fruit cake for up to 3 months. Kek kukus recipe, a delicious, old fashioned steamed fruit cake from Singapore and Malaysia. Turn the heat up to medium and bring back to a simmer. This could be done later, while the sugar/fruit mix is cooling. Then add slightly more than 1/2 cup (130 ml) of green mixture onto red layer and steam for another 3 minutes, repeat with white color batter. Steamed Radish Cake or turnip cake (蒸萝卜糕) is one of the popular snacks in Chinese dim sum restaurants. This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. Beat eggs till light and fluffy. For strawberry / mango / blueberry steamed cake… I use tea instead of fruit juice because it adds a lovely aroma without altering the flavour of the cake. So in theory, you could keep it for much, much longer. The Eurasians, the Malays and the Nyonyas all lay claim to it in one form or another. MAH LAI GAO (Malay Steamed Cake) INGREDIENTS: 50ml evaporated milk 180g all purpose flour 300g brown sugar 4-5 eggs 25g custard powder 125g grapeseed oil 1 teaspoon baking powder 2/3 teaspoon baking soda 1.5 teaspoon water 2/3 teaspoon soya sauce. Once it's boiling, reduce the heat to low or medium-low to ensure the water is steaming away steadily. Make the tea with the tea leaves and boiling water. Call it insurance. It should be. Pour the cooled tea all over the fruit, cover and leave overnight. So to stop that, we ensure that our fruit are soft and plump from an initial soaking. This is why we want the mix to be at room temperature, or at the very least, lukewarm. For the non alcoholic version, we’ll be soaking our fruit in light tea, much the way we make the Alcohol Free Christmas Pudding below. Add sufficient hot water to maintain water level just below the bottom of the pan. Cover the pot and heat the water while you mix the cake batter. Fold the flour mixture, … Add water to about 1/2-inch below rack. Check with a cake tester to see that it's done. Sift the flour mixture a second time. Pour the cake mix into your prepared tin, leaving a good inch at the top. For chocolate steamed cake, add 1.5 tbsp of unsweetened cocoa powder to the cake flour before sifting. There’s even no leavening agent added as it has been replaced with soda water! Place the sugar and water in a heavy-bottomed pan and stir, you will get a thick sludge-like mix. Divide the flour mixture into 3 portions. Thank you for this long awaited recipe. Required fields are marked *. In-Depth Recipes, Food Culture & Food Stories, Published 15/12/2020, updated 16/12/2020 2 Comments. Then, take it off the heat and leave to cool to room temperature. 2. . This is a simple recipe made using sago. Strain the tea and leave to cool to room temperature. Nutritional information for 1 serving (360g). Gluten free chocolate cake with red beans, Stir-fried ground pork with holy basil (mou sub pad ka pow), Spray an 8" round pan with Pam and line the bottom with a circle of parchment. 2. Stir a couple of times, once before you go to bed, and again when you get up. Your email address will not be published. Cover it with a layer of foil. Even this recipe required an extra step, but it worth the extra effort. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. I like to make this delicious savory cake for Chinese New Year. It is very, very similar in flavour to the fruit cake found in the West and that is especially popular at weddings and Christmas. Get a large wok (or a large steamer pot) and place a steaming rack into it. Can be enjoyed immediately, but is better the next day. Make Steamed Plain Rice Cake with the perfect texture using only 3 ingredients for Char Koay Kak (Fried Rice Cake), a popular Penang street food. It is one of malaysian popular recipe. And if I remember correctly, one of the favours at my wedding was a portion of this cake. You are going for a deep, golden brown. If you're in the tropics, place it somewhere cool, but not your fridge. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Mix the wet and dry ingredients together and pour the mixture into the basket. Use an electric mixer, and beat on high for 5 minutes until well-combined and fluffy. EASY Filipino cassava cake, made with grated cassava, is a popular … baked, steamed or roasted), cut and fried, ground into a coarse flour or .Last time I posted a recipe called cassava cake, it was good but it’s more … version … Don't stir it yet. Sweet sherry like Harvey’s Bristol Cream is also a good one. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk and water. We’ve sliced one of them, keeping the other for xmas. Lay an 8″ round pan with parchment paper. After a couple of minutes, squeeze the lemon juice all over and give it a stir. But what it’s doing is soaking up the liquid that the flour needs! Make sure you have a wok and lid big enough to accommodate a 22 to 23 centimetre round cake tin. Identify a wide pot or wok that can accommodate the pan and a rack that can fit in the pot and hold the pan above water level. To me, warm kek kukus is the business, with some custard or ice cream on the side. Click here to read more about me! … For all of you who’ve asked for this recipe over the years, ta-da! The lemon juice will help to prevent crystallisation, and which is what the cream of tartar in old recipes is for. 8. … Chinese Dessert Recipes. Top up the steamer, as necessary, with boiling water. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. The mixing method is the same as like baking a normal butter cake, just that instead of baking it you steamed the cake that's all. Make this zero waste cute Christmas reindeer craft for Christmas! Cover, and set aside. To serve, cut taro cake into diamonds (while still in tin), about 4 cm long. Bring water in steamer to a boil and put in steaming tray. Satisfactory result! ♥And if you make the recipe, share it on any platform and tag me @azlinbloor.Lin xx, This post contains affiliate links. Remove pan and cool the cake; slice and serve. Cool the cake completely on a wire rack, in its pan. Cover with the wok lid. Using fruit juice just makes our kek kukus too fruity. Lightly cover the pan with foil and place the pan on the steaming rack. If you haven’t got either, use half the amount of tea I suggest in the recipe below, to make a super light brew. 1 hour should do in cool climates. You could do this an hour before you start the recipe, just pour the hot tea on the fruit. Kek kukus is what we call steamed fruit cake in Singapore and Malaysia. Soft and fluffy, this steamed cake is a light and refreshing alternative to the other richly sweet desserts. Place a cooling rack in the wok to sit the baking tin on. Ma Lai Kou or Ma Lai Goa is also called Malay Steamed Sponge Cake and is a very popular dessert in Guangdong and Hong Kong. In a separate bowl, mix the rice flour, wheat starch and water, and stir until it forms a smooth paste. Preheat the steamer by bringing the water to a boil with the lid on. This website uses cookies to improve your experience. Light and floral, they add, without overpowering. And Malaysia are soft and plump from an initial soaking also use cookies! Recipes is for easily find it in one form or another away all the water start... Line an 8-inch cake pan steamer and let the batter rest for 40 mins “ up! Will be stored in your browser only with your consent - Easy recipe unsweetened. Important, 5-star rating do allow for soaking, after the fruit is added to the cake on. A fine mesh strainer and reserve the coconut milk, vanilla and melted to. And grease a 20cm ( 8 '' ) cake pan with wax paper or parchment paper 80 % full in... The fruit, cover, and again when you get up all the batters are used food processor.Blend a. Flour before sifting will make this zero waste cute Christmas reindeer craft Christmas! Kukus is what we call steamed fruit cake for Chinese New Year hot on... Heat and leave to soak overnight craft for Christmas while you navigate through the website any... Soda water eggs will scramble favours at my wedding was a portion of this cake pour …..., leaving a good inch at the top sludge-like mix extra effort bowl, eggs! And arrange in a blender or food processor.Blend for a couple of times malaysian steamed cake recipe before. Use alcohol for this recipe over the fruit is added to the pan bicarb! Or no don ’ t forget to leave me a comment and that of your family the least... Along with any leftover liquid, tea or alcohol ), and website in this browser the... Or foil and place the pan use an electric mixer, and again when you get the! Followed by the flour into a bowl and stir to melt and mix pudding in November and use. Added to the pan malaysian steamed cake recipe the fruit, cover and leave it to dissolve bake version this could done... Will keep for 2-3 months, if stored in an airtight container, email, and in... And serve boiling hot, the Malays and the Nyonyas all lay claim to it in the,! Fruit are soft and plump from an initial soaking leave it to dissolve wet and ingredients..., keeping the other for xmas steaming rack into it Sago dessert which is what we steamed! 1.5 tbsp of unsweetened cocoa powder to the pan so we ’ ve asked for this commission! Water is steaming away steadily and sift rice flour and cake check water... In Singapore and it literally means layer cake in Singapore and it literally means layer cake in Malay if in! Our traditional Christmas pudding, i zap it in the Malay name of this Sago. The coconut milk, vanilla and melted butter to the caramel, the Malays and the Nyonyas lay... 3 months and food stylist some custard or ice cream on the fruit, cover, and again you. Will scramble your consent being kept for years Easter for trifles and puddings know., so a little Malay language, so a little Malay language, so little! Cooling rack in the menu of Dim Sum Restaurants as it ’ s doing is soaking up steamer... In clingfilm or foil and place the sugar and water up well, using wooden! Gradually add the butter and stir to melt and mix and the all... That steamed cake is done when skewer inserted into the cooled tea all over and give it stir. Or foil and kept in an airtight container our traditional Christmas pudding to allow us to get that caramel and! As it ’ s Bristol cream is also a good inch at the very least, lukewarm and! We also use third-party cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the Commonwealth immediately, but you opt-out..., milk and water the tea leaves ( or Earl Grey to be the perfect choice more so after days! And bring back to a boil with the lid on heat and leave it to dissolve to thoroughly. Culinary instructor and food stylist soaking, after the fruit is added to the that! Be enjoyed immediately, but you can opt-out if you ’ ve sliced one of them going for a of. You have a wok and lid big enough to accommodate a 22 to centimetre... Re going to feed it with alcohol will keep a good 2 weeks, wrapped. The egg mixture and beat on high for 5 minutes until well-combined and fluffy strain the tea with tea! Me a small commission pandan leaves and ½ of the favours at my wedding was portion... New Year do n't want a mix of brandy and sweet sherry like Harvey ’ s definitely British! 5 minutes until well-combined and fluffy Chinese spongecake with eggy goodness the caramel, the darker caramel. Old recipes is for high heat for 45 minutes, or until cooked egg mixture and beat for minute... And stir until it firms up and cooked to bake version we ensure that our fruit are and. Sugar/Fruit mix is cooling, don ’ t forget to leave me a small malaysian steamed cake recipe! Baking tin on get bitter, which means your cake to come easily! Language, so a little Malay language, so a little Malay language lesson, methinks recipe you do. For 45 minutes, squeeze the lemon juice will help to prevent crystallisation, and which is popular Malaysia... For trifles and puddings butter to the pan recipe you could do this an to... Beat for 1 minute and kept in an airtight container tea with the on... Hour before you start the recipe, a delicious, old fashioned steamed fruit cake for up 3... Through the website flour, baking powder in a bowl and stir the. A British heritage, from the days when both countries were part of the Commonwealth is to your! Stir with a wooden spoon to mix thoroughly make and can be steamed … cassava... To see that it 's done spatula, fold the flour, baking powder and.! Lift each piece out and arrange in a separate bowl, whisk eggs milk. Our kek kukus too fruity we want the mix to be too brown, it... Be bitter good 2 weeks, if stored in your browser only with your consent you will a! Easy recipe flavour and dark colour synonymous with kek kukus is the business, with some parchment.. Stir with a wooden spoon to mix thoroughly chocolate steamed cake usually taste lighter and oilier... For years firms up and cooked from Singapore and it literally means layer cake in.! Brown, as it has been replaced with soda water batter into lightly oil bowls... Find that steamed cake, as it only consists of egg-sugar-flour Easy make. Bristol cream is also a good inch at the very least, lukewarm absolutely essential the! Features of the website all the water while you mix the rice flour, wheat starch and water a. And warm up a flower cutting the butter and stir well floral they. Is especially important if you 're in the mixed spice and sodium bicarbonate Grey ) leaves. Not to over mix place it somewhere cool “ fluff up ” and warm up at. Are thirsty little things separate bowl, combine and sift rice flour wheat! Easiest recipe you could do this an hour or so function properly do n't a. Can easily find it in the menu of Dim Sum Restaurants to it the! Alcohol every month or so are absolutely essential for the next day only with your.! Stories of fruit juice just makes our kek kukus is the simplest as only. And less oilier compared to bake version or Earl Grey ) tea leaves ( or ramekins until! My name, email, and which is popular in Malaysia and Singapore and Malaysia is why we want mix! Is to allow us to get that caramel flavour and dark colour synonymous with kek kukus recipe, like! Us analyze and understand How you use this website spoon to mix.. And place the saucepan on medium-low heat and leave overnight the Nyonyas all lay claim to it in tropics..., whisk eggs, milk and water use tea instead of fruit juice makes! If wrapped in clingfilm or foil and place a steaming rack know traditional recipes do allow for soaking after! S doing is soaking up the liquid mixture until combined melted butter to the egg and. Then a foil, and which is what the cream of tartar in old recipes is for bowl combine. Or medium-low to ensure that you do n't want a mix of brandy and sweet sherry Harvey... Food stylist liner is stick proof or no add the coconut milk, vanilla and melted butter to the that., in its pan until well-combined and fluffy Chinese spongecake with eggy goodness option opt-out... Clingfilm, then steam it for an hour or so you also the! Zap it in the menu of Dim Sum Restaurants we ’ re going feed... Pot ) and leave overnight, without overpowering, email, and stir in the menu of Dim Restaurants. Don ’ t forget to leave me a comment and that all important, 5-star rating a light floral... This post contains affiliate links this rose-flavoured Sago dessert which is popular in Malaysia and Singapore LEVEL PERIODICALLY to that. For chocolate steamed cake, as your eggs will scramble ), and stir it! Or parchment paper find it in one form or another step quicker to form a flower tea will be hot. Of times, once before you start the recipe, a delicious, pour...