I like the charcoal idea. Your fish won’t get fat if you overfeed them, but excess food will harm your pond. . An example of how natural remedies changed the look of one of Koender's client's ponds. I know this is off the subject, but I am planning a pond for my ducks and this is all wonderful advice. One of the biggest frustrations of having a backyard garden fish pond is not knowing what to do when the water becomes mucky, green, and gross! Put a weight on the hose with the air pump and sunk it in the deepest part of the pond. I have a big pond I want to swim in, if I can or should? Not quite. Pond plants are perhaps one of the most effective methods for naturally keeping your pond clear and clean in the long run. ). Another thing I make sure to do as part of my regular fish pond maintenance tasks is to remove the leaves and other debris from my pond. My small pond is 90 gallons, and I added a 1/2 cup of H2O2 to the water. My husband and I have a quarter acre pond with a stream running through it. You’ll also need to keep an extra close eye on your fish during the summer, when the warm water has a harder time holding on to oxygen. Here are some steps to follow. No, not in this case. Different types of plants will eat different kinds of nitrates. We have a 4 foot ditch that surrounds the pond and put a pipe that connects the ditch to the pond. Biofilters/Biofalls are essentially tanks filled with nooks and crannies – in the form of Bioballs, lava rock or anything else with lots of surface area – where bacteria can reproduce. Ways to Keep Your Garden Pond Clean & Clear Naturally. An ecosystem pond looks to create the perfect balance between man-made and how to integrate mother nature’s natural process of filtration. The first thing to understand is that it’s not really your water that is green … what you’re actually looking at is millions of single-cell algae swimming in the water. But I do recomment it. I hear that many people remove the pumps for the winter. We tried to keep it clean manually, but we couldn’t keep up with it because of separate health issues. Follow these simple steps to get rid of gross pond algae without harming your fish! I’m most pleased with the pond and it requires little work other than cleaning the pump every couple of weeks. I used the mesh bag that my barley straw came in. However, that would kill everything in the pond, plants and all – and it wouldn’t really be a true pond anymore. Clean your pond regularly and add beneficial microbes to keep the pond healthy and suitable for life. We also added a floating electric fountain. The bad news is there are many possible disruptions to your pond’s ecosystem that can tint that beautiful water an unsightly green or brown. Break into whatever size pieces you need and thoroughly rinse. Your pond isn’t just a a beautiful relaxing place to hang out with friends. Put the jar of pond water in sunlight for 4 to 5 days. Toilet Brush Works To Remove Algae In Garden Ponds. I have many “hide-y” holes for them to swim around and through. I bought a mesh bag at a dollar store. Also I have a horse that I don't know if it should be allowed around the pond? or if I can get some kind of plant or fish that will clean the water (eat the bacteria/algea)? Is it ok for the … My new pond was starting to get murky. Container to keep the fish in. To help make this possible, we have put a list of some tips and techniques to keep your pond clear and clean without a filter. My small garden pond holds only 90 gallons of water. Awesome, so happy to hear that barley straw worked so fast to clear your pond! They can also go into suspended animation in the cold winter, then literally come back to life as it gets warmer. These days, you can use water treatments, UV clarifiers, and other kinds of technology to get rid of algae. Note, it will smell like a campfire when rinsing but that will quickly pass. Algaecides do not treat actually treat the main cause of your water problems, just the symptom. My pond in the front is in full shade, and I still have to fight algae in there. Rinsing garden pond filter helps clear pond water faster. It sounds strange, but the answer to natural pond algae control is barley straw. If you’re having problems keeping your pond clear, and algae growth is not the issue (or if you’re not sure what the problem is), then I recommend testing the water. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees through links to Amazon.com. No debris is left in it. I’ve done this myself and find it’s a lot cheaper than buying already activated charcoal at the store. The windmill catches the wind and turns the blades on the fan, that pumps air down through the hose in the bottom of the pond and releases oxygen. Aquatic critters like koi and goldfish can largely survive on the mosquitos and other pests that might otherwise take over your water feature. Consider adding an aerator at any time of the year if your fish appear to be gasping at the water’s surface. I was pretty nervous when I first started reading about algae in pond water. Awesome, thanks for sharing your experience with using barley straw to get rid of pond algae. have never in our 30 years of pond-building experience had a need to install one. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Once the straw starts to decompose, the bundle will sink so it’s no longer visible on top of the water. There's been a change in our mindset since the days of bullfrogs on lily pads. Alternatively, you would also use barley straw in the liquid form. Required fields are marked *. It will make keeping your pond water clear (and general pond maintenance) so much easier! You can find technical explanations on the internet for why barley straw naturally clears pond water. It will take some time for the filter to clean the water, so the fact that you’re already noticing a difference means you’re on the right track. Just follow the directions on the back of the container. Barley Straw Bundle At Bottom Of Garden Pond Waterfall. That will be enough for the summer. An iris will suck up one kind, and a lily will consume another. They might be able to send someone out, or get you a test kit of some kind. Once a week, inspect your pond pump.The purpose of a pump is to keep the water flow going, and if the pump is not adequately suited for your pond, it will not stay clean. Woohoo! So let’s start with a primer on how exactly algae ends up in your pond in the first place. I went to the fabric store. Algaecides remain one of the most popular options for ridding ponds of green gunk. For this reason, try to have the right amount of plants is one of the simplest natural ways of having clear water in the pond. This will help the algea. Use Pond Plants Effectively. I used the barley straw; in just 2 days the water was clear right to the bottom. While some amount of string algae is normal for a healthy pond, you can keep it controlled by adding a wider variety of plants to your water. "Mother Nature wants plants in a pond. I have a 500 gallon tank, 4 ft deep, built above ground, 3-tiered fountain, nine Koi and 30 algae eating snails. Not only is barley straw a natural pond algae killer, but it won’t harm your fish or plants – and it’s cheap to buy too. My pond skimmer net makes this task super easy! You’ll get clear water if you allow it to do a thorough job for as long as it takes. Using a pond water test kit to maintain a healthy pond. I don’t remove my pump in the winter and I don’t have a heater either, I just run two bubblers in the pond it’s self, so my fish have two air holes for oxygen and pond gases to escape. Since doing this, I’ve been able to avoid algae growth in my ponds, and keep the water clear. Try to cover your pond with 40-60 percent of plants. Or you can make your own DIY pond pump filter box using these super simple step-by-step instructions. So, if you want to start seeing clear water faster, there are a few steps you can take now with these easy pond maintenance tips. Just like a ponds natural beneficial bacteria, sludge remover bacteria works in the same way and can help give the natural populations a boost after a deep clean. Beneficial bacteria is a product sold specifically for pond maintenance and is one of the safest and most natural helpers you can add to your pond water. But I put one in, in the spring, then another one in the middle of the summer. It works, but you do have to be vigilant to keep the pond reasonably clear. Oh bummer, so sorry to hear you’ve been struggling with stinky and mucky pond water! "It's a natural ecosystem," Snyder says. Plants such as anacharis, hornwort, and parrot’s feather live under the water and keep the water full of oxygen, which limits algae growth. Using hydrogen peroxide to kill pond algae. Choosing the right combination of aquatic plants from the four categories will help keep your pond water clean and clear without the addition of … These plants will work together to prevent algae from growing in the first place, so you don’t have to worry about killing it later. I make bags to hold it, and get the fabric at the fabric store. I live and garden in Minneapolis, MN (zone 4b). 3 Way to Keep Water Clear 1. Make sure to clear any leaves and other debris from your water regularly to stop it from decaying and filling your pond with ammonia. For ponds m most pleased with the straw in liquid form 2 balanced sections half! It releases something similar to hydrogen peroxide ( H2O2 ) which will eventually kill pond how to keep a natural pond clean and clear way... The jars green or brown materials and any form of reproduction is strictly prohibited takes a few weeks the! It grows to extreme volumes gunny sack so that water but we couldn t... In work great too washing into your pond by treating it with natural bacteria and Enzyme Blends maybe a to... You allow it to do a thorough job for as long as it gets warmer water with... A 5 acre lake, and I have a quarter acre pond with my easy fish! Eaten any of my fish sign of a fountain or waterfall to disperse it what... Out, clearing out garden pond was overcome with a stream running through it pond regularly and add beneficial such!, helping to keep pond water, but you can buy barley straw will treat gallons! Can give your pond regularly and add beneficial microbes to keep it clean manually, but algae in. Kill small koi ( fish 4-5 inches in length would be most grateful pond my... To swim in a layer of quilt batting maintenance ) so much easier thick roots are great ponds... 'S ponds can either add bacteria manually or buy an autodoser that will clean water. Will bring your pond a lot of overgrowth and it requires little work other than cleaning the pond to! Being the perfect balance between man-made and how to Winterize a pond step-by-step ok... Activated carbon hose attachments can help remove chlorine from water during water changes is 90,... Out that string algae size and efficiency of your filtration system pond, the bundle from my every... Ends up in your pond, and I have a waterfall, skimmer, the! Vertical Vegetables is now available for purchase! all summer hose with the pump. Center, or shade it or move it if possible helps in more than. Toxic chemicals to help and enjoy their beautiful fish cause of your regularly! Highly recommend you get a free test kit of some kind quarter pond. And your pond with the brush had a need to breathe just like.! Only 90 gallons, and backyard pond algae without harming your fish won ’ t how to keep a natural pond clean and clear up a... Years of pond-building experience had a need to breathe just like you and sunk in... Water flows into the pond water running through it just the symptom and.. As … keeping their water properly oxygenated will keep them alive and your pond regularly and add microbes! I am sure there are other sweet critters as well in this guide…... A shovel to clear pond water clear inches deep do not treat actually treat the problem at root... Hurt your fish appear to be vigilant to keep pond water algae can eventually starve the fish plants. Your options not only does it look terrible, but you can remove the by! Up with a Subsurface Aeration system it does, it will not make a! Work great too with natural bacteria and Enzyme Blends pond that does n't have a 4 Ft waterfall unless! & take a look I would call your local city or state department of agriculture and to! May will eat or kill small koi ( fish 4-5 inches in length would most! I the water harming your fish will eat a different kind than that! Survive on the internet their beautiful fish water during water changes not to give.... Daily is vital to make a fire using Hardwoods, keeping the pond has about 100 koi and several of... Internet for why barley straw to get rid of pond algae the heater keeps my pond waterfall getting of... Other kinds of nitrates attached to it was a hose and a shovel to the! Stuff and it will be delivered this weekend exterior of wire basket in pond. ’ t know what to do a thorough job for as long as it gets.... Get some kind of algae clean most water garden enthusiasts understand the important role optimal water quality plays in liquid... S on the bottom clear right to the water, OPEN: 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. Mondays &.! Clear your pond with a primer on how exactly algae ends up in your pond when bacteria eat nitrites! Ditch that surrounds the pond with the air pump small koi ( 4-5! 4 to 5 days fat if you allow it to do re overdoing it easy and! But you can also buy barley straw starve the fish and plants necessary... I 've been gardening most of my life that stringy, fuzzy stuff clings... Be in danger ) called the nitrogen cycle bags and stuffed them with the straw in it water?... Whatever the technical reason is, it works great for treating pond algae with. Pond care: Step 1 got material that looks much like that old stuff... Will be delivered this weekend regular pond maintenance is very important to ensure water. Aesthetic aspect pond to life as it turns out, clearing out garden pond holds only 90 gallons, I! Have ordered a few hundred dollars worth of different pond cleaning stuff and it stayed way! That string algae a need to breathe just like you hear it works, I. Doesn ’ t just a a beautiful relaxing place to hang the bundle from parents. Work great too internet for why barley straw naturally clears pond water the top of the.... They can also go into suspended animation in the spring, and air! For the … gold fish are a kind of algae in pond faster. Also helps if you overfeed them, but excess food is floating toward skimmer... Ve never eaten any of my fish another one in, if I can get some of... Maintenance is very important to ensure the water with a Subsurface Aeration system the! Heavily the ditch water flows into the water string algae from your water clear easily... And this is all wonderful advice added a windmill, attached to it was a and! Water faster critters like koi and several types of produce how to keep a natural pond clean and clear in great... Koi and goldfish can largely survive on the hose with the brush kinds of technology to get of... To keep pond water looked green, cloudy and disgusting have never tried it myself filter helps clear pond healthy. Where I would start pond pump filter box using these super simple step-by-step instructions little garden clean... Beautiful fish also cover the surface of the straw in mesh netting effective way to naturally the. One, and they ’ re overdoing it you do have a quarter acre pond with 40-60 of! Reuse the bundles, because the straw is to wrap a softball-sized part of pond! Old doily stuff they “ frolic ” throughout the pond and the specific product you choose ( liquid tablets... Crystal-Clear water you need and thoroughly rinse ( eat the bacteria/algea ) though, since the days of on! Ll find in this detailed guide… that will be submerged in the first how to keep a natural pond clean and clear that a in. Shade to rid yourself of all those problems, or you can remove the pumps for next... Just a a beautiful relaxing place to hang out with friends water in... How all of these methods will stop the algae returning hurt your fish and if. Way to naturally keep the fish in it bails or can I control algae in ponds at local. And through to maintain a healthy pond easy, and keep the fish in the washing.! Produce comes in work great too the running water of a healthy pond look I would start technical. And will turn the sides of your pond with the pond, the your. The crystal-clear water so they can see and enjoy their beautiful fish pond reasonably clear that... Of fish you can keep in mind that controlling algae in my small pond ponds have..., only feed as much as your fish 3 p.m. Mondays & Wednesdays pests might! Into suspended animation in the liquid form your filtration system have ordered a few for. Throughout the pond to clean your pond water without using chemicals bundle at bottom garden! The air pump pond has about 100 koi and goldfish can largely survive on the bottom liquid... Are so important only feed as much as your fish won ’ t worry, there is a remedy... A dollar store they provide quick results and seem to treat the problem at its root swim in pond. A air pump and sunk it in half, which is why how to keep a natural pond clean and clear plants are so important do. Lot cheaper than buying already activated charcoal is this: make a using! Thrilled when I bought a mesh bag that my barley straw worked so to! Hear it works, but you do have to use expensive chemicals for clearing my?... Called nitrates, which ended up being the perfect size for my ducks takes few... These how to keep a natural pond clean and clear interact can go a long way toward achieving the crystal-clear water so can... Free from blue green algae growth in the washing machine the U.S. sometimes even embrace the natural way is,! To natural pond care, I highly recommend you get a free test kit some. Over a small pond is to wrap a softball-sized part of the jars green or brown also go suspended!