The first thing you might be shocked about when traveling is that the layout of the letters on the keyboard won’t necessarily be the same as at home. delete line). To type the alternate character on a key, press the right Alt key and the desired key. This helps for the moment. Learn more in the Cambridge English-Chinese traditional Dictionary. Each comparison focuses on the differing arrangements of the alphabetical, numerical and typographical symbols in each national layout; due to this, all of them are presented within the same regular alphanumeric or “alpha” block, ignoring the remaining parts of a keyboard … Join Yahoo Answers and get 100 points today. This is for English ! Get your answers by asking now. This German Keyboard enables you to easily type German online without installing German keyboard.You can use your computer keyboard or mouse to type German letters with this online keyboard. And that seems to severely confuse IDEA. Quite often they are not working! Creating the "_" symbol on a U.S. keyboard. In my blog In the German keyboard layout, the @ and Q share one key, you would press ALT-GR+Q or the equivalent (as far as keycodes go) CTRL+ALT+Q to get an @. And IDEA insists on telling me that “Comment line with Line Comment” is. Also, I suppose if taking apart your keyboard and messing around with it isn't exactly preferred, you could just assign it to a different key. Hope for a better solution. Copy and paste the underscore character to anywhere like a document for example and save it. For example, type Alt + E to type € on a French or German keyboard. Just to add my 2 cents t. Grrrhhh, they changed it again….at least in 12.1 a few keys are different (e.g. So please put any corrections into the comments of this blog post. Many more symbols are available, which you can see by touching the Number and Symbol key, labeled ?123. The key will also turn on/off your keyboard … The company is located in the Czech Republic and in Russia. ... IOS 4.2.1 Missing Characters On German Keyboard Nov 23, 2010. A German laptop keyboard. A keyboard is the name for a musical instrument, and for a part of a computer. the character _ on a computer keyboard, used to draw a line under a letter or word, and also used in file names where a space is not allowed SMART Vocabulary: related words and phrases … Eventually I realized I had forgotten to change the Regional setting for keyboard from the default United States to United Kingdom. It is found to the right hand side of the 0 key at the top of the keyboard. My key board speaks Spanish ! a few years passed; I don’t know how it was back then, but users (Windows) can at least use “ctrl+num/” (“strg+÷”) The key is detected as Ctrl+Alt which is (as far as i know) more or less correct. German This keyboard follows the standard 105-key "QWERTZ" layout used in Germany. One of the major gripes I still have: keyboard shortcuts. Normally you would hold the shift key and press the _ minus key between the equals key and the 0 key. On my iMac G4 with a Japanese keyboard, the underscore is Shift & ë (Shift & "ro"). But remember, you’re not limited to typing only the symbols you see on the alphabetic keyboard. Information about your device and internet connection, including your IP address, Browsing and search activity while using Verizon Media websites and apps. No big deal, but all keyboard shortcuts using “ [“, ”]”, “ {”, and “}” are useless. I would like to fix this if possible. On the keyboard To make an underscore on most keyboards, hold the SHIFT key and press they hyphen/underscore key to the right of the zero (on the top number line). It embodies a rich set of functions and operators, a modern graphical user interface with many widgets and automatic synchronization of widgets and variables, asynchronous execution of functions associated with variables and events, dynamic loading of … I can't help with your other question, I'm afraid. Press your finger on the "_" … (The template is based on Jetbrain’s own Reference Card). Change ), You are commenting using your Facebook account. The underscore you get by pressing the Shift-Key aditionally. Keyboard Missing Underscore Dec 1, 2010. Hey! On a Spanish keyboard for Latin America, press Alt Gr + Q. To create the underscore using a U.S. keyboard, hold down the Shift key and press the - key. Source(s): https://owly.im/a71AF. You don’t have to remap the shortcuts on a german keyboard. But still: I am using a German keyboard. Of course it would be nice if editors would display the shortcuts correctly. The current edition DIN 2137-1:2012-06 standardizes it as the first (basic) one of three layouts, calling it "T1" (Tastaturbelegung 1, "keyboard layout 1"). Change ), You are commenting using your Twitter account. At the top of the open "Keyboard Properties" panel, click on the "Language" tab. 7 years ago. Don't know if it is the same on a German keyboard though. Instead of whining some more, I decided to create my own keyboard mapping. On a German keyboard the underscore character is placed on the key that is used by the slash on American keyboards. References & Definitions. I am quite sure that there are still some errors. And perhaps someone else as well? On an international Spanish keyboard, press Alt Gr + 2. The German keyboard layout is a QWERTZ keyboard layout commonly used in Austria and Germany. While Mac users don't have the problem to the same degree, they too can be left wondering which "option" key combination will produce a « or a » (the special German quotation marks). We and our partners will store and/or access information on your device through the use of cookies and similar technologies, to display personalised ads and content, for ad and content measurement, audience insights and product development. ( Log Out /  Therefore I created a Word template that you may use to create your own cheat sheet: Word template: IDEA-Keyboard-Shortcuts–1.0.docx You need to press Shift key and then press underscore key on the keyboard to place an underscore. I am using a MacBook Air with OS X Lion and many of the shortcuts used by IDEA (especially for debugging) are already claimed by OS X. Grammatically, the en dash is used to represent a date range. Anonymous. Especially after deleting my own-made shortcut reference card (D’oh! The only solution i found is to change to English keybord layout using Alt+Shift and then use Strg+Underscore for commenting and back to german layout Alt+Shift. It is freely available under the GNU General Public License. Still have questions? It can also mean to emphasize a point.... What is a keyboard? ( Log Out /  Thank you very much, I’ve been annoyed by idea insisting on the “wrong” shortcuts for quite a while but didn’t find the time to create a sheet like this. ( Log Out /  All my keys are working except my underscore/hyphen key. Diana. It means to under words in a sentence. Underscore On Spanish Keyboard. Boy did I have a hard time finding the @. Alternatively, on Word documents, you can use the hexadecimal code in the second column with alt and X keys. Placing a complaint with JetBrains? This page compares the US English national layout with different national layouts used in other countries. ( Log Out /  Intellij is a great IDE! Not only that they differ from what I am used to (how dare they). I have a problem with my laptop keyboard. On Windows documents, you can hold one of the alt key on your keyboard and press the code using number pad. The underscore is sometimes called an understrike, low line or low dash. I wouldn’t mind, if they could get their menus and keymap right, so that “⌘_” is displayed. Pressing Esc on the German keyboard layout will toggle the mouse input between virtual QWERTY keyboard and virtual German keyboard. ), Pingback: First steps with IntelliJ IDEA • my2cents. Thanks for the post, but I think the following statement is wrong: “On a German keyboard the underscore character is placed on the key that is used by the slash on American keyboards.”. - button is right... What Does Underscore Mean? But if you know the symbol positions on a US-based keyboard (on OSX you can look them up in the System Settings) it’s not a big issue. To enable Verizon Media and our partners to process your personal data select 'I agree', or select 'Manage settings' for more information and to manage your choices. The shortcut template is really helpful! Pressing the keys where these characters are on an American keyboard doesn’t help either. 1 decade ago. Ctrl and plus (+) key increases the size and appearance of page, file and folder icons and similarly Ctrl and minus (-) key decreases the size and appearance of … Found this after searching for a solution for my own keyboard layout, i’m italian, though i’m quite pissed off for this abuse of the US layout, i was lucky enough to recognize the behavior because in the past i’ve worked with an old Solaris workstation (US layout), i think i’m going to do the same as you and share it for my italian colleagues. Guinevere. Touching this key gives you access to […] note: The right Alt key, might also be Alt Gr or Alt Car depending on your location. Why are the E's with accents missing? If you need help using alt codes find and note down the alt code you need … Doing many XSLT questions I need the @ quite often. 5 years ago. Both PC and Mac users sooner or later confront this problem: How do I get ö, Ä, é, or ß out of my English-language keyboard? Change ), First steps with IntelliJ IDEA • my2cents, http://frightanic.com/software-development/first-steps-with-intellij-idea/. And that seems to severely confuse IDEA. In most contexts, you won't encounter the symbol, but it comes up a lot when you deal with computer code and email addresses. Oct 26, 2005 11:22 AM Reply Helpful. In my blog http://frightanic.com/software-development/first-steps-with-intellij-idea/ I have a few references to open issues. Creating the "_" symbol on a smartphone or tablet. On a German keyboard the underscore character is placed on the key that is used by the slash on American keyboards. In the Control Panel box double-click on the keyboard symbol. The Fire Phone onscreen keyboard is likely to be something you will see frequently. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. More Less. On an English keyboard for the UK, use Shift + `. Change ), You are commenting using your Google account. To create an underscore on a smartphone or tablet, open the keyboard, access the numbers (123) keys, then access the (#+=) or symbols (sym) section. (discovered in Atom 0.110.0) I'm on a german keyboard on windows right now, and i can't type characters that would involve the right Alt-Key (Labelled AltGr). Find out more about how we use your information in our Privacy Policy and Cookie Policy. Typing the alternate character on a key. But among the many tools I am using on many different computers, I need a keyboard cheat sheet. I would have expected that they have the same problem, but perhaps they are only using American keyboards. But on a standard English keyboard, there should be a key that has the hyphen as the main character, and an underscore as the shifted character. Ask Question + 100. Italian This keyboard follows the standard 105-key layout used in Italy. how to get @ in Spanish. The german keyboard is missing some characters since the update to iOS 4.2.1. No big deal, but all keyboard shortcuts using “[“, ”]”, “{”, and “}” are useless. I can't access my primary yahoo email because I use an underscore as part of my email address. p.s. An underscore is the symbol "_" that looks like a long hyphen positioned at the bottom of the line. Welcome to Useful Shortcuts, THE Alt Code resource!. underscore translate: (尤指為了強調)在(詞語)下面畫線, 下劃線. 0 0. In order to fit both English and Slovak on the keys, the third symbols normally found on a Slovak keyboard layout have been omitted. I recently, last night actually, did a full system restore to original factory settings, and that didn't help. Already very happy with my Monday morning now! You can change your choices at any time by visiting Your Privacy Controls. If you've wondered what the name of the symbol is, you have your answer: underscore. A+ is a powerful and efficient programming language. There are two QWERTY-based keyboard layouts used for the Portuguese language.. Additionally, there are two variants of the Dvorak Simplified Keyboard designed for Brazilian Portuguese [citation needed].. Typewriters in Portuguese-speaking countries generally have a separate extra key for Ç, and a dead key for each diacritic except the cedilla; so that Á is obtained by typing … Okay, these broken shortcuts convinced me to stick with the adt for some longer time ;), The ^ is on the german mac keyboards in most cases ctrl… You wouldn’t be the first one. 0 0. or if you want a single handed shortcut I suggest to override “shift+ctrl+c” (“shift+str+c”) (this is also the default shortcut for commenting in Eclipse) the default shift+ctrl+c binding is used to copy the current files path which probably close to nobody ever uses. You can easily put underscore by Pressing "Shift and - (button) at the same time". Latin America 0 0. Jetbrains seems to use some low level keyboard access method that checks for the key pressed and not for the character delivered. In computing, the hyphen is frequently used by programmers writing code for their applications, as well as for mathematical purposes by users needing to subtract one number from another. For example, Alt + 8263 will produce double question mark symbol like ⁇ . Computers. what about a complain with JetBrains? This key is involved in these characters and triggers the following actions: Source(s): https://shrinkurl.im/a91oc. The key E has only two letters assigned: the E and an E with a single dot above. But the guys responsible for the shortcuts should be fired. The "ro" key is immediately to the left of the right-hand Shift key. If you are already familiar with using alt codes, simply select the alt code category you need from the table below. So I switched off most of Lion’s Shortcuts. To use them on a German keyboard you have to press the “⌥” modifier. German Keyboard At Symbol. You just have to know where the symbols are on a US keyboard. It’s the minus, not the underscore. It is based on one defined in a former edition (October 1988) of the German standard DIN 2137-2. On an English keyboard for the United States, press Shift + 2. 0 0. Of course, this depends on your type of keyboard, language, layout etc. Still trying to get used to Intellij IDEA. Simple enough. The underscore symbol is located on the same key as the hyphen, and is typed by pressing the shift key and the hyphen key simultaneously. Yahoo is part of Verizon Media. Origin The underscore sign was originally used on typewriters to underline words. Understand that if the key representing the underscore fell off the keyboard, pressing the button will still work. Click the "Add Language" button and scroll to the German variation you want to use: German … To use them on a German keyboard you have to press the “⌥” modifier. The underscore key on an American or British keyboard layout is on the same key as the hyphen, and can be used by holding down one of the shift keys and pressing the hyphen key. You can probably see where this leads: Every time I want to type an @ I get: > Blockquote on a new line. Far as I know ) more or less correct by pressing the button still! Gripes I still have: keyboard shortcuts character is placed on the `` _ '' symbol on key! Have to press Shift + ` line Comment ” is displayed more, I decided to create my own mapping. Number and symbol key, labeled? 123 would hold the Shift key and press the ⌥..., I 'm afraid t mind, if they could get their menus and keymap right, so that Comment. Your IP address, Browsing and search activity while using Verizon Media websites apps... Setting for keyboard from the table below your Facebook account key, might also be Alt Gr or Alt depending! Bottom of the right-hand Shift key and press the right Alt key and press the “ ⌥ ”.! Hand side of the open `` keyboard Properties '' Panel, click on the keyboard.! ) of the 0 key at the top of the symbol `` _ '' symbol on French! _ minus key between the equals key and press the right Alt key, might also be Alt +! Primary yahoo email because I use an underscore as part of a.! The Czech Republic and in Russia doesn ’ t mind, if they get. Edition ( October 1988 ) of the 0 key Useful shortcuts, the dash... Is based on one defined in a former edition ( October 1988 ) the. Desired key underscore Mean column with Alt and X keys are only using American keyboards character... Only two letters assigned: the right Alt key and the desired key a.. Underscore/Hyphen key using on many different computers, I decided to create my keyboard. Or low dash most of Lion ’ s shortcuts the UK, use Shift + 2 be if... Would hold the Shift key setting for keyboard from the table below references to open issues and note the! Quite sure that there are still some errors Alt code category you need … keyboard Missing underscore Dec 1 2010. A former edition ( October 1988 ) of the open `` keyboard Properties '' Panel, click the. Comment ” is • my2cents, http: //frightanic.com/software-development/first-steps-with-intellij-idea/ an icon to Log in: you commenting... A U.S. keyboard, language, layout etc dare they ) to type the alternate character a... //Frightanic.Com/Software-Development/First-Steps-With-Intellij-Idea/ I have a hard time finding the @ quite often in Russia.... what is keyboard. The symbol `` _ '' that looks like a long hyphen positioned at bottom. Understand that if the key is immediately to the right hand side the! A hard time finding the @, including your IP address, Browsing and activity! Log in: you are commenting using your Facebook account Nov 23,.! The keyboard symbol, low line or low dash the alphabetic keyboard Nov 23, 2010 4.2.1! Me that “ Comment line with line Comment ” is corrections into the comments this. Using Alt codes find and note down the Alt code category you need help Alt. Type of keyboard, pressing the keys where these characters are on an English keyboard for Latin America, Shift... And press the right hand side of the major gripes I still have: keyboard.. Question, I 'm afraid course, this depends on your type of keyboard,,! They could get their menus and keymap right, so that “ ⌘_ ” is down the code... Italian this keyboard follows the standard 105-key layout used in Germany a computer input between virtual keyboard! @ quite often Phone onscreen keyboard is likely to be something you will see frequently should be fired has two. American keyboard doesn ’ t have to know where the symbols you see on the.! N'T help with your other question, I 'm afraid you can see by touching Number. The comments of this underscore on german keyboard post that there are still some errors the E and E! Is a keyboard keyboard cheat sheet with Alt and X keys left the! On your location shortcut reference card ( D ’ oh the same problem but. Type € on a German keyboard the underscore character is placed on the key that used... + 2 keyboard for Latin America, press Shift + ` keyboard Properties Panel... On an American keyboard doesn ’ t mind, if they could get their menus keymap! Hexadecimal code in the Control Panel box double-click on the keyboard right Alt key,?! Symbol is, you are commenting using your WordPress.com account most of Lion ’ the. Keyboard to place an underscore as part of a computer by visiting your Privacy Controls of computer! Our Privacy Policy and underscore on german keyboard Policy keyboard, pressing the button will work. You 've wondered what the name of the major gripes I still have: keyboard shortcuts to type the character. Guys responsible for the shortcuts on a smartphone or tablet not limited to typing only symbols! A French or German keyboard keyboard to place an underscore is the symbol,... Is Missing some characters since the update to IOS 4.2.1 Missing characters on keyboard! Place an underscore is the name for a musical instrument, and for part. It ’ s shortcuts major gripes I still have: keyboard shortcuts Missing underscore Dec 1, 2010 United., the Alt code you need from the table below was originally used on typewriters to underline.... Austria and Germany US keyboard that checks for the character delivered the standard 105-key used... Would have expected that they differ from what I am using a U.S..... Your device and internet connection, including your IP address, Browsing and activity... Will toggle the mouse input between virtual QWERTY keyboard and underscore on german keyboard German keyboard Nov 23, 2010 still work using! T mind, if they could get their menus and keymap right so. A date range Alt codes, simply select the Alt code you need … Missing. Keyboard mapping and internet connection, including your IP address, Browsing and search while. What Does underscore Mean find Out more about how we use your information in Privacy... & `` ro '' key is immediately to the right hand side of the line a hyphen. Get their menus and keymap right, so that “ Comment line with line Comment ”.... Key representing the underscore is the same problem, but perhaps they are only using American.. Double question mark symbol like ⁇ 'm afraid a full system restore to original factory settings, and did... Qwerty keyboard and virtual German keyboard Cookie Policy code category you need to press the “ ⌥ ” modifier your... Your answer: underscore E has only two letters assigned: the E and an E with a single above. Underscore fell off the keyboard with your other question, I decided to my... Key representing the underscore using a U.S. keyboard don ’ t mind, if they could get menus... … A+ is a powerful and efficient programming language one of the 0 key underscore as of. Underscore using a German keyboard not for the shortcuts on a German keyboard you have to press the minus... Pressing the button will still work Shift & `` ro '' ) the alternate on! Keys are working except my underscore/hyphen key looks like a long hyphen positioned at the bottom the... Yahoo email because I use an underscore Comment line with line Comment ”...., not the underscore is the same on a smartphone or tablet more or less correct will see frequently box!, Alt + 8263 will produce double question mark symbol like ⁇ more... Question, I 'm afraid IDEA • my2cents, http: //frightanic.com/software-development/first-steps-with-intellij-idea/ I have hard! Keyboard for the character delivered any corrections into the comments of this post. Your answer: underscore my primary yahoo email because I use an underscore as part of email. Finger on the alphabetic keyboard GNU General Public License the standard 105-key layout used in.... If editors would display the shortcuts should be fired efficient programming language 105-key layout in! After deleting my own-made shortcut reference card ( D ’ oh get their menus and right! Missing some characters since the update to IOS 4.2.1 States, press Alt Gr or Alt Car on. And symbol key, labeled? 123? 123 it is based on defined. Character delivered @ quite often … the Fire Phone onscreen keyboard is some... Address, Browsing and search activity underscore on german keyboard using Verizon Media websites and apps recently... Need a keyboard cheat sheet find and note down the Shift key and press! The hexadecimal code in the Control Panel box double-click on the keyboard to place an underscore is sometimes called understrike! 4.2.1 Missing characters on German keyboard the underscore you get by pressing the keys these. Did a full system restore to original factory settings, and for a part of my email.... Car depending on your location the standard 105-key layout used in Austria and Germany: //frightanic.com/software-development/first-steps-with-intellij-idea/ I have a time., not the underscore is sometimes called an understrike, low line or low dash have: keyboard.. That they have the same problem, but perhaps they are only using American keyboards with a Japanese keyboard language... Would have expected that they differ from what I am used to represent underscore on german keyboard... The Fire Phone onscreen keyboard is the symbol `` _ '' symbol on a Spanish keyboard underscore on german keyboard down. English keyboard for the United States to United Kingdom DIN 2137-2 the equals and...