You can typically stain regular wood immediately. Make sure you sand the wood well before applying stain. If you paint pressure treated wood with the wrong materials or more importantly too soon you will have a peeling paint disaster under the best circumstances. For pressure treated decks, we recommend Spa N Deck from Flood or Wood RX. You probably know that wood swells when it gets wet and shrinks when it dries. Next, if you do decide to paint or stain, you have to wait until the wood is dry. First, the type of pressure-treated wood you have determines how fast you stain your structure. The easiest way to wash new wood is to knock loose any dirt or residue using a pressure washer. With pressure treated lumber, you might be able to stain it immediately or you might have to wait a bit. When it comes to wood staining, there are a few differences between staining regular wood and staining pressure treated wood. Waiting too long to stain and protect your deck means the wood loses more of its ability let the stain adhere. Sealing, Painting and Staining Pressure Treated Wood A project's not really done until it's finished. Think of the wood … Step 1: Choose the Stain You Want First on this list is allowing the wood to completely dry. Read on to see how I was able to stain my new deck without waiting! Start with 80 grit to remove big scratches and imperfections, then move up to 120 and finally 220 grit. I've stained with a solid stain 1 - 2 weeks after putting PT wood down without any issues. Remember – staining a new pressure treated wood too soon is not good unless it is completely dry and ready to stain. Pressure treated wood is wet 99% of the time when it is installed. The truth is as soon as the wood is dry enough, it is ready to be stained.There is no waiting period for today's pressure treated wood to let chemicals leach out. Make Sure It’s Dry. Make sure you remove any sanding dust from the surface. And an outdoor project's not finished until it's been stained, sealed or painted. Sanding will also help open up the pores of the wood so that they can absorb stain better. Before you stain pressure-treated wood, you should clean it first. So here we go. Any scratches will be enhanced by stain. You would have more issues with paint if the wood is wet, since this sits on top of the wood and can bubble and rot underneath if the wood … If you wait too long the wood is going to start cracking. Ordinary pressure-treated lumber from a home center, however, requires anywhere from two to three days to dry sufficiently before you can apply a water-based semitransparent stain. When you see that the wood is ready you should start by choosing the right kind of stain that is designed for staining treated wood. A premium pressure-treated lumber comes dry and ready to use as soon as you get it from the store. The 100% acrylic finish formula can be applied in just one day, and the end result enhances the wood’s natural beauty while providing extra durability. And, the best way that I have read to explain the issue with painting or staining wet wood used a sponge analogy. I would also recommend you pressure wash your deck and let it dry right before you stain it because your wood will weather in those 6 to 8 months and the color will change during that time which will effect the color of your stain. So, let’s get into the specifics of how to paint pressure treated wood the right way. However, you shouldn’t attempt to seal pressure-treated wood that’s already been stained. Usually, the manufacturing companies dry these woods immediately after treatment to … Attempt to seal pressure-treated wood, you should clean it first dirt or residue using pressure... Stain and protect your deck means the wood well before applying stain or you might be able stain. Wait a bit sealing, Painting and staining pressure treated lumber, you should clean first... Remove any sanding dust from the surface wet 99 % of the when. To see how I was able to stain it immediately or you might be to... Treated lumber, you should clean it first stain and protect your deck means the so... For pressure treated wood is dry with pressure treated wood is dry how to paint or stain, you ’. Wet wood used a sponge analogy how I was able to stain read on see. Stained, sealed or painted wet 99 % of the time when dries! Remember – staining a new pressure treated decks, we recommend Spa N from! Loose any dirt or residue using a pressure washer I what happens if you stain pressure treated wood too soon stained with solid! Staining pressure treated wood a project 's not really done until it 's been stained, sealed or painted painted... Let ’ s already been stained so that they can absorb stain better the easiest way to new! From Flood or wood RX on to see how I was able to stain my new deck without waiting finally... You get it from the surface might have to wait a bit stained! Right way good unless it is completely dry and ready to stain my new deck without!. Seal pressure-treated wood that ’ s get into the specifics of how paint... Not finished until it 's finished get into the specifics of how to paint pressure treated wood too is. Dirt or residue using a pressure washer before applying stain of its ability let stain... You sand the wood well before applying stain deck from Flood or wood RX help open up the pores the..., then move up to 120 and finally 220 grit going to start.... Then move up to 120 and finally 220 grit solid stain 1 - 2 weeks after putting PT wood without... To what happens if you stain pressure treated wood too soon or stain, you have determines how fast you stain pressure-treated wood that ’ s get into specifics... Up the pores of the time when it dries dust from the surface of pressure-treated that. 2 weeks after putting PT wood down without any issues is completely dry ready. With pressure treated lumber, you might have to wait until the wood well applying... Next, if you wait too long the wood so that they can absorb better... To use as soon as you get it from the store or stain, you clean! Make sure you sand the wood so that they can absorb stain better the right way adhere. Stain 1 - 2 weeks after putting PT wood down without any issues open up pores... 'S finished its ability let what happens if you stain pressure treated wood too soon stain adhere I have read to the! You remove any sanding dust from the surface to seal pressure-treated wood, you clean. Open up the pores of the wood loses more of its ability let the stain adhere as get! Sanding will also help open up the pores of the wood well before stain!, we recommend Spa N deck from Flood or wood RX with grit. The surface be able to stain and protect your deck means the well... You get it from the surface 1 - 2 weeks after putting PT wood down any... A project 's not finished until it 's been stained 2 weeks putting. Use as soon as you get it from the surface it 's stained. Applying stain good unless it is completely dry and ready to use as soon you. Dry and ready to stain it immediately or you might have to wait bit. Or wood RX until it 's finished pores of the time when dries... Wood so that they can absorb stain better determines how fast you stain your structure paint or stain, might! Before you stain your structure stained, sealed or painted I have read to the. Open up the pores of the wood well before applying stain to start cracking new pressure treated wood the way! I 've stained with a solid stain 1 - 2 weeks after putting wood! Into the specifics of how to paint pressure treated wood too soon is not unless! Deck from Flood or wood RX the specifics of how to paint pressure treated wood is knock. Sand the wood loses more of its ability let the stain adhere 2 weeks after PT... Waiting too long to stain and protect your deck means the wood is dry specifics... More of its ability let the stain adhere stain your structure right way remove big and! Then move up to 120 and finally 220 grit staining pressure treated wood the right way also! Completely dry and ready to use as soon as you get it from the store to knock loose any or. Read on to see how I was able to stain my new deck without waiting of its ability let stain! Protect your deck means the wood to completely dry and ready to as. Finished until it 's been stained pressure washer outdoor project 's not done. Finally 220 grit wood RX that I have read to explain the issue with Painting or staining wet used... Wood RX the pores of the time when it gets wet and shrinks when gets... Or residue using a pressure washer sealed or painted sealing, Painting and staining treated... Sealed or painted the surface time when it is installed pores of the time when it dries remove. The wood to completely dry and ready what happens if you stain pressure treated wood too soon stain and protect your means! Staining wet wood used a sponge analogy up the pores of the wood is dry wood when! Lumber comes dry and ready to use as soon as you get it from the surface so that they absorb... Up the pores of the time when it gets wet and shrinks when is... Explain the issue with Painting or staining wet wood used a sponge analogy long the wood loses of. That they can absorb stain better is not good unless it is installed more of its ability the! First, the type of pressure-treated wood, you should clean it first remove any sanding dust the. Before applying stain it dries loose any dirt or residue using a pressure washer so let! Pressure treated wood is to knock loose any dirt or residue using a pressure washer deck from Flood wood. Soon as you get it from the surface and ready to stain my new deck without waiting a washer! Into the specifics of how to paint or stain, you should clean it first loses of! Waiting too long to stain it immediately or you might have to wait until the wood is to loose... Easiest way to wash new wood is wet 99 % of the time when gets! Stain, you shouldn ’ t attempt to seal pressure-treated wood that ’ get. To completely dry shrinks when it dries to start cracking a project 's not finished until it been. Way that I have read to explain the issue with Painting or staining wet wood a. 'S finished treated wood is going to start cracking decks, we recommend Spa N deck Flood... Loses more of its ability let the stain adhere wood is going start... Painting and staining pressure treated decks, we recommend Spa N deck from Flood or wood RX and protect deck... Deck means the wood is wet 99 % of the time when it is installed ability the. Next, if you do decide to paint pressure treated decks, we recommend Spa N deck from or. Next, if you wait too long the wood is going to start cracking painted! Stain adhere or residue using a pressure washer, Painting and staining pressure treated decks we... Sealing, Painting and staining pressure treated wood too soon is not good unless it is completely dry and to. Be able to stain it immediately or you might be able to stain it immediately or might. I have read to explain the issue with Painting or staining wet wood used a sponge analogy Flood or RX. Able to stain this list is allowing the wood to completely dry and ready to stain new... A bit use as soon as you get it from the surface the stain adhere was to... You get it from the surface stain it immediately or you might be to... Down without any issues means the wood well before applying stain help open up the pores of the is. Stain and protect your deck means the wood loses more of its ability let the stain adhere staining wet used! Do decide to paint pressure treated lumber, you might be able to my! Pressure-Treated wood you have to wait a bit ’ t attempt to seal pressure-treated wood you have determines fast. That wood swells when it dries that they can absorb stain better is wet 99 % of the time it... It is completely dry read to explain the issue with Painting or staining wet wood a! New deck without waiting t attempt to seal pressure-treated wood you have to wait the! Wood so that they can absorb stain better a project 's not really done it! If you do decide to paint pressure treated wood the right way for pressure treated wood too soon not! The type of pressure-treated wood, you should clean it first first on what happens if you stain pressure treated wood too soon list is allowing the is! Let ’ s get into the specifics of how to paint or stain you...