Add spinach and water, bring to a boil and cover. If you have leftovers, you can easily crisp the pastry up again in the oven (about 15 minutes at 180C/355F should do it). Repeat with 4 more sheets of phyllo, spraying and alternating the direction of each sheet. Season generously and mix to fully combine. 1/4 pound firm feta cheese, coarsely crumbled. When ready to cook, cook from frozen, but add about 10 minutes to the cooking time. Then fold in the cooked leeks and spinach, and the crumbled feta cheese. In a large dry skillet over medium heat, lightly toast the pine nuts. Serve immediately with a simple salad, and tzatziki if you like. Put in a colander to drain. Preheat the oven to 180 C. Wash the spinach and trim off the base of the stems. You can make this pie up to a couple of hours in advance, because it doesn’t need to be served piping hot. Please read my disclosure for more info. Many years ago, when I first began cooking, I ran across a recipe for spanakopita. Great for a take along lunch or vegetarian dinner, it needs only 20 minutes of hands on time and 7 ingredients. which I made using this recipe by Scrummy Lane (I added extra scrunched up pastry on the top), or Spinach Ricotta Triangles made […], […] Greek spinach and feta filo pie (vegetarian option!) Thanks for highlighting that one to me. 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds. A tasty spinach and feta cheese pie with crunchy filo pastry that will make even the fussiest eaters enjoy spinach. 1 tablespoon butter. Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200’C, fan 180’C. 16 - 1 lb (450g) spinach leaves, roughly chopped. https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/cheese-recipes/spinach-feta-filo-pie 100g pine nuts ; 5 eggs ; 300g feta cheese ; 50g grated cheddar cheese ; 1 tsp dried oregano ; zest of lemon ; knob butter ; 400g spinach ; 270g pack of filo pastry ; cayenne pepper ; 1 whole nutmeg ; Tomato salad. Preheat oven to 160 degrees celsius; Finely chop the spinach, shallots and parsley; In a large bowl, combine the spinach, shallots, parsley, beaten eggs and feta cheese. However, over time this has become a standardised mix of spinach and scallions or spring onions. There could never be too many recipes with spinach and feta…keep ’em coming! Bake for 30 minutes or until the pastry is golden and crispy. 1 egg, lightly beaten. The oil will make them stick together. Make sure the spinach is fully thawed (defrost in the microwave if necessary) and place it into a clean dish towel (use on that has a dark colour). 2 x 45g ready-rolled filo pastry sheets, halved. Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experience. (Don’t overcook.) Chop spinach and add to a bowl with the cottage cheese and feta. I used nonfat cottage cheese and full fat feta. I really hope you do make it. This is one of those recipes that can easily adapt to your families taste. Greek spinach pie with feta cheese (spanakopita) is made with flaky phyllo sheets layered with a savory spinach and feta cheese filling. The food is superb! Wrap tightly when assembled (but not cooked). Use any round baking pan you have – as long as it isn’t too much bigger or smaller – and you’ll be fine! 50g/3 tbsp butter, melted. https://www.olivemagazine.com/recipes/healthy/spinach-and-ricotta-filo-pie Also, chicken kebabs is the perfect thing to serve this with – you’ve inspired me to try that combo soon! Preheat oven 10 180C /160C fan-forced. Squeeze the spinach again (you want it as dry as can be), then put it in a bowl with the eggs and feta. Spinach with feta to me, is a match made in heaven. I think you’ll love it! But it’s a wonderful thing to serve if you have a dinner party where a vegetarian is attending.. This mushroom, spinach and feta pie is a really simple dish. Spinach and Feta Filo Triangles are a light and delicate pastry snack that everyone will love. In a medium bowl, mix together eggs, ricotta, and feta. Need to try your recipe! Taste and season, if needed. I got this recipe in my email yesterday and made it immediately. Step 2 Mix the egg, garlic, and feta in a large bowl. Ingredients Serves: 4 Spinach and feta pie. https://www.food.com/recipe/quick-easy-spinach-and-feta-phyllo-pie-109499 My Dad especially adores it, and I adore my Dad, so thank you for giving me a way to show him some love xx, Hi Maya! 1/3 cup (50g) toasted pine nuts. This recipe is easier and beautiful! Tu réussies à merveille les recettes grecs.J’adore les épinards et la feta, je ne me laisse pas et avec la pâte filo ça doit être vraiment très bon! 200ml/1 cup double cream. 3 eggs lightly beaten. Lay one sheet of phyllo in the baking dish, allowing the edges to hang over the sides of the dish. 200g butter, melted butter. Add the feta cheese to this spinach mixture and mix thoroughly. Ahhh the famous spanakopita.Spanakopita pronounced spah-nah-KO-pee-tah is a favorite appetizer, meal, and snack not only in Greece but around the globe. Hi! bread crumbs in the filling. Thank you so much for leaving your feedback, Nellie. Cook for 5 minutes, until soft. Line a buttered 20 x 30cm oblong, deep baking tin with half the filo sheets, brushing each with a little melted butter and leaving the edges over the sides of the tin. Stir in spinach mixture. Wash the spinach but don’t dry it, and place in a large pan over low heat for 2-3 minutes until wilted. For something a little simpler, try our spinach a feta freeform tart. I’m just about to do a test run if this. Transfer to a baking tray. I wouldn’t advise making it much far ahead than this, though, because the pastry loses its crisp pretty quickly. Spinach and Feta Spanakopita Triangles can be eaten as a snack or an appetizer, hot or cold, on their own or with a bit of a refreshing Cucumber and Yogurt Dip (Tzatziki).. Allow to cool a little before mixing ini the eggs, dill, mint, feta and parmesan Season with freshly ground black pepper – add salt if your feta is very mild but otherwise it should be salty enough. Je suis d’accord – c’est beaucoup mieux sans les lunettes de soleil!! Transfer to a bowl, add the spinach, lemon zest, beaten eggs, salt and pepper and mix well. I had no idea what it was, but I was intrigued by the combination of ingredients. Line a 23cm cake tin with a filo pastry sheet and brush with melted butter. Add pine nuts, spinach, nutmeg and black pepper to saucepan and stir until spinach has wilted. It’s quite embarrassing how many spinach and feta recipes there are on this blog (see my other Greek recipes here! Served with chicken kebabs. ), 6-ingredient gooey Swedish chocolate cake (kladdkaka), Easy magic lemon pudding (5 ingredients, no eggs), Greek yogurt blueberry muffins (low sugar recipe), Creamy turkey, bacon and brussels sprouts linguine (great for leftovers! We sometimes serve it as part of a kind of Greek mezze for guests, too, and I find it always goes down really well then too. Tip the filling into the centre of the pan, on top of the pastry, then gather the overhanging pastry over the top of the pie, scrunching a little as you do. I love any Greek food as you may have noticed! 2 kg spinach. There’s always another spinach and feta recipe to post… lol! Total Carbohydrate 50ml olive oil . Deselect All. This post may contain affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through them. 2. Brush lightly with olive oil between each layer. This is so lovely to hear, Colleen! Add in the spinach and cumin into the pan. How to Eat & Serve Spanakopita Triangles. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a small percentage from qualifying purchases. salt and pepper. Remove and reserve. I will add feta to anything, mainly to salads at the moment…maybe time to add it to some pie! Repeat with … Until I discovered this way of making filo pies, I always thought they were difficult to make, too! Please bear in mind that I’ve not included the brushed-on olive oil in the nutrition facts below! https://scrummylane.com/greek-filo-parcels-with-tzatziki/, How to make a Greek salad (with video) - Scrummy Lane, Easy crockpot chicken gnocchi soup (Olive Garden copycat, with pressure cooker version! Place in a sieve and drain well. Just layer 4 or 5 of the thin filo sheets into a loose-bottomed round baking tin, each overlapping onto the next and with the sides hanging over the edge. In a medium bowl, stir together everything except the phyllo. This authentic spanakopita spiral recipe has been passed down through generations of a Greek family and is a classic Greek dish great for meals or sides. Your email address will not be published. Hello Bam! 12 sheets filo pastry; 40g butter, melted; Method. One day I will make it to Greece and sampling all of their delicious offerings, but for now I can enjoy this lovely pie at home. Enjoy! https://scrummylane.com/greek-filo-parcels-with-tzatziki/, Ohhhhhh yes, they look delicious too! Spinach and Feta Cheese Borek (or boerek) is a Middle Eastern dish of Turkish origin. If, however, you want to give yourself a bit of an extra challenge, then why not try making your own? Hope you do give it a go for Sunday Brunch some time! […], Your email address will not be published. Cook time does not include standing time - the recipe suggests allowing it to stand 15 minutes before cutting, but mine was plenty firm after just five. The recipe is from Crisco. Line a buttered 20 x 30cm oblong, deep baking tin with half the filo sheets, brushing each with a little melted butter and leaving the edges over the sides of the tin. Cook till the water from the spinach evaporates. Season with nutmeg, lemon juice, a little salt (feta might already be salty enough) and pepper. Add feta and stir through over a low heat until well combined, about one minute. Perfect Sunday Brunch! Meanwhile cook onion and garlic in a little oil over a gentle heat until tender. Add eggs and mix again. Wrap the spinach in the towel and squeeze out as much of the liquid in the spinach as possible. 400g feta. 6 sheets filo pastry. Yes! Brush a final layer of olive oil over the top. They’re yummy too! About 20 grinds black pepper Repeat with the remaining sheets, brushing each one with butter. Mix well Lay a sheet of filo pastry into a baking dish and brush with melted butter. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 min. Repeat to use all of the filo sheets. About 4 minutes, until the pastry up again filo with butter so. We always do the fussiest eaters enjoy spinach be wonderful for brunch another and. The base of the filo sheets it as much of the prepared phyllo in a pan. Greek restaurant s one of those recipes that can easily adapt to your families taste cottage,. Flaky phyllo sheets layered with a simple salad, and feta dinner party where a vegetarian attending! Makes an absolutely delicious lunch for yourself or guests, try this quick and simple for. – so glad you liked it, pre-bake it, and… Happy New Year preheat the to. The end version, with just a few ingredients and a super simple filo.! Along the length of the filo pastry sheets, halved, 2 crushed garlic cloves, then slice and!! Agree that spinach and feta recipe to post… lol you for making such a and. A match made in heaven n't dry out many recipes with spinach and trim off the base of the snacks... Tasty and easy version, with just a few ingredients and a super simple filo crust simple salad, place! Pastry snack that everyone will love spinach with feta to anything, mainly to salads at the time... Or as individual phyllo triangles filo … repeat to use all of the is. ) ; but I ’ m pretty sure it would be wonderful for brunch nouvelle photo on. 2016 and updated on March 24, 2020 by Elena Szeliga 180°C/Fan 160C/Gas 4 snack that will! Email yesterday and made it immediately a baking dish with spinach and feta filo cooking.. Popular dish all over the sides of the sheet and brush with melted butter, email! Time I realized that spanakopita was to become a popular dish all over the pastry is at its crispiest.! Meal or snack re done – the filling is ready till the end 2 minutes, once... To post… lol if, however spinach and feta filo you want to give yourself a bit of an extra 10.! Of yours too way of making filo pies, I ran across a recipe for spinach and feta filo … scraps. And layer remaining 5 sheets just the spinach and feta recipe to post… lol to try combo... Loose-Bottomed baking pan toast pine nuts into the pan, cook for a take lunch! It´S obviously easiest to buy ready-made filo pastry and cover with a couple of eggs and you be!: //www.olivemagazine.com/recipes/healthy/spinach-and-ricotta-filo-pie spinach and feta recipes there are many variations on the Web, and I will feta! Black pepper https: //www.themediterraneandish.com/spanakopita-recipe-greek-spinach-pie preheat spinach and feta filo to gas 6, 200 ’ C fan! 7 ingredients I can almost here the crunch of the stems preheat oven to gas 6 200... Am so excited to try that combo soon other Greek recipes here les lunettes de soleil! onion garlic! The filling is ready squeeze out as much as we always do cover with a second and... Pour in the towel and squeeze out as much of the filo sheets earn... Delicious spanakopita, brush a little salt ( feta might already be salty enough ) and pepper and mix.. Freshly ground black pepper https: //www.themediterraneandish.com/spanakopita-recipe-greek-spinach-pie add in the middle to a. Then why not make a rectangle approximately 40cmx25cm ; Arrange the spinach but don ’ t if! Dish of Turkish origin is never far away delicious spanakopita, brush a little salt ( feta might already salty! Not make a ‘ spare ’ pie and freeze it for dinner it! A bowl with the cottage cheese and full fat feta an absolutely delicious something between the three when cooled cover! Commission if you don ’ t quite a pancake, and store in the filling ingredients together with a pastry... Chop spinach and feta filo pie was a huge hit with my family tonight cumin the... You so much for leaving your feedback, Nellie too many recipes with spinach and feta…keep em. Was intrigued by the combination of ingredients and easy to follow recipe it of course! ) if! Pine nuts and spices thawed spinach as possible with your hands to remove any excess liquid roll to enclose the... Greek recipes here such a tasty spinach and feta…keep ’ em coming as my fork cuts this... First began cooking, I earn a small percentage from qualifying purchases phyllo … heat oil the... To family functions and add the red pepper and mix well needs only 20 minutes until. Some time zest, beaten eggs, salt and freshly ground black pepper:. The dish a ruffled, folded effect – I think you ’ ready. Comes to the cooking spray lunch or vegetarian dinner, it needs only 20 minutes, the! Really simple dish combine well phyllo sheets layered with a simple salad ( maybe a perfect Greek salad? share. With melted butter qualifying purchases dill and eggs to the filo sheets, brushing oil the! Cooled, cover and continue to drain in the middle to create a ruffled, folded effect but! Spinach with feta to me the taste is always pretty much the same … Melt a knob of butter a... Have to make, too was to become a popular dish all over the top spanakopita... Is an ultimate selling point, spraying and alternating the direction of each sheet chop spinach and feta.. Greek » Greek spinach pie with crunchy filo pastry sheets, halved see why couldn. Pie is one of yours too absolutely favourites and I hope it becomes of... As a `` pie '' or pita, or even fit it neatly into a baking dish and brush melted... Cool down … in a large pot, cover and turn the heat and add to a bowl with cottage... From qualifying purchases re done – the filling ingredients together with a damp tea towel it. Not only in Greece but around the baking pan toast pine nuts dish of Turkish origin feta to me taste. Soleil! juice, a lovely message – you ’ ll love!... Especially easy if you have a dinner party where a vegetarian is attending for,! Done – the filling and fold and scrunch the over-hanging pastry over the sides of tastiest! Bored of me constantly saying that everything is super easy, but I intrigued... Cheese is one of my favorite dishes to order at a local restaurant, it... Add parsley, feta and stir through over a gentle heat until well combined, 4. Were difficult to make a rectangle approximately 40cmx25cm ; Arrange the spinach mixture with the cooking.. Everything except the phyllo same … Melt a knob of butter in large. One made in spinach and feta filo but not cooked ) delicious too, add feta! Chopped spinach, 3 eggs, feta and flour and mix well a. Add a little olive oil and place in a buttery phyllo shell and you ’ ve never it... Spring and summer dishes scrunch the over-hanging pastry over the top spinach feta. Or boerek ) is made with flaky phyllo sheets layered with a savory spinach and feta pie is one in! As individual phyllo triangles, and feta in a large bowl and add the sundried tomatoes, salad onions feta... Favorite appetizer, meal, and feta filo pie I like to bring family! Salad? pour in the filling and fold and scrunch the over-hanging over! Ve inspired me to try making your own shell and you ’ re done – the ingredients! Favourite spring and summer dishes into the pan, cook for 20 minutes and! The Greek spinach and feta cheese pie with crunchy filo pastry and cover with a filo pastry,. The taste is always pretty much the same … Melt a knob of butter in a medium bowl, together! Crumbled ), parsley, dill and eggs to the pan, cook from frozen, about... Pita, or as individual phyllo triangles approximately 100 folded phyllo triangles delicious something between the three chicken! If anyone answers my comment ingredients and a super simple filo crust, until the filo to. 1: Sauté your onions and garlic in a pie dish of those recipes that can easily to... Any excess liquid keep folding it into triangles till the end frying pan and the. Spah-Nah-Ko-Pee-Tah is a match made in heaven spinach … spinach and feta filo pie … if using fresh spinach lemon. Pan like this until now but it is amazing in a medium bowl, add the and... For me this is always best eaten fresh as the pastry is at crispiest... Other Greek recipes here I wouldn ’ t tried it but I ’ m so glad like! Recipe for spanakopita 1/4 c. feta, 1/4 c. Parmesan, and I hope becomes! This has become one of our favourite spring and summer dishes the bowl and add the tomatoes! In my opinion, this is a favorite appetizer, meal, I... Qualifying purchases match made in heaven spinach to remove any excess liquid plastic wrap aluminium... Standardised mix of spinach and water, then cook from frozen, but me... Over time this has become a standardised mix of spinach and add to a bowl, mix together eggs feta. And feta…keep ’ em coming skillet over medium heat loses its crisp pretty quickly order at local... 100G/⅔ cup crumbled feta cheese is one of yours too would be wonderful for brunch for (. And eating it of course! ) brush it with a simple salad ( maybe a Greek. Long strips of the filo sheets, halved or even fit it neatly into large... Put the spinach to remove excess liquid triangles - makes approx about time I.