As long as you’ve got that form of heat retention that makes all the difference. But some pellet grills offer a slider plate that opens up an area for the flame to hit the meat directly. Smoked the steaks and Spam for an hour at 200 degrees, then cranked the Bull up to Full - it took about 30 minutes to get to 500. This will give your steak a better-than-steakhouse overall quality sear. Why sear? Cooking the Perfect Steak on a Pit Boss pellet grill. It’s the perfect method for perfectly cooking the inside of your meat low and slow , before finishing it off on a searing high heat to give your meat the finish that we love when BBQ grilling. Method 1 – The Reverse Sear. 4. Bonus side dish recipe: Mustard maple vinaigrette potatoes with tomatoes and wilted spinach. Place steaks on pre-heated smoker or pellet grill at 225°F. This Reverse Seared Steak was cooked on my Camp Chef Woodwind Pellet Grill. Remove from grill and let rest 10 minutes before slicing. It’s super easy to cook so … No WSF "yet". Beats even the best steak … Can You Sear a Steak on Pellet Grill? 5. Place each steak on the Sear Box for about 30-60 seconds; rotate about 45° to get diamond sear marks and sear for another 30-60 seconds. Place the steaks back on grill and sear on both sides for 3 minutes or until desired internal temperature is reached, 125℉ to 130℉ for medium-rare. In this version, I am cooking a couple of Flat Irons from ButcherBox that marinated overnight in Jeremiah’s Best Steak Marinade (recipe below) Learning how to reverse sear a tomahawk steak is a right of passage for all serious grill enthusiasts. You don’t have to sacrifice wood fired taste for grill marks. Smoke at a low temperature for that unique wood smoke flavor, and then finish your steak hot and fast on your grill for the perfect … lower grill down to the fire and do the sear until 125 deg. Another reverse sear cook in the books and turned out great. Pin For Later! View this post on Instagram. I like to reverse sear my tomahawk rib eye steaks. Place the cast iron griddle insert into the pellet grill and increase the temperature to “sear”. Reverse sear is an incredible way to cook a steak. Place the steaks in the middle of the pellet grill and insert the temperature probe into the thickest part of the steak. The main purpose is to seal the meat’s natural flavor and this can be made possible using the pellet grill. The thing that made this Reverse Seared Steak better than cooking it on a “normal” pellet grill was that I was able to Sear the Steak off using the Side Sear Box that is available on the Camp Chef Woodwind Pellet Grill. Coming to you with a quick and simple method for cooking a juicy piece of meat. How to Reverse Sear a Steak. Reverse Seared Flat Iron Steak. Whether you are using a quality rub or simply Salt & Pepper you cant go wrong with this method. Whether it is cooked on the stove or on the wood-pellet grill, a good steak really cannot be beat. Many things can go wrong if you are cooking steak on a Pit Boss pellet grill. Meathead and J. Kenji Lopez-Alt from seriouseats.com have been two of the more prominent advocates of the technique over the past 10 years and for good reason! Sear a thick steak for about 3-5 minutes total flipping constantly (every 15-30 seconds). We here at Memphis are biased toward the reverse sear method, which takes advantage of our pellet grill’s smoking capability, as well as its direct flame setting. It may take a little longer, but once you learn how to reverse sear on a smoker, you’ll find it has several key advantages. Preheat the grill to 250 degrees F and close the lid. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/246229/grilling-thick-steaks-the-reverse-sear The key for searing on a Traeger Wood Pellet grill is to preheat your grill, place the meat on a hot spot, & let it cook uninterrupted. It combines the benefits of smoking with the advantages of grilling. Can A Pellet Grill Sear? The “Reverse Sear” method is a great way of cooking those really thick steaks, especially if you like them perfectly Medium-Rare all the way through. I cook the steak at the lowest temp I can get on the grill with the fire on one side and the meat on the other (indirect). Searing seals in flavor, try these grilling hacks on how to sear a steak or sear chicken. Traeger Pellet Grills, LLC Steak is something our household always enjoys. I relunctantly started using a cast iron skillet with a touch of butter. Then turn the steaks and repeat the process. When reverse searing, we don’t tend to set a specific amount of time to cooking. If you haven’t tried a steak using the reverse sear method, give it a shot. It is one of the best and most convenient ways of giving your family a lovely holiday or weekend cookout experience. When it comes to preparing steak on the pellet grill, there are really two main methods to get the job done. A post shared by Pound of Butter (@pound_of_butter) Whether you are using a gas grill or a charcoal grill, this method always produces a delicious steak without overcooking the outside and getting stuck with a raw middle. I use steaks at least 1-1/2 inch thick, dry brined cold steak for an hour or two at room temp, good coat of pepper and garlic. Pellet grills can sear or grill effectively, sometimes the grill needs a little tweaking. How Do You Cook a T-bone Steak on a Pellet Grill? You can find the recipe for it here. It’s what we’re used to seeing when we order a $22 steak in a restaurant. So you often see recipes for reverse seared tri-tip , or flank steak . This process starts by smoking or slow-cooking food until it is close to being done and then searing it over direct, high heat. Tender and juicy on the inside. Put your steak in the smoker set at 180-225 degrees and let it smoke until the internal temperature is 100-110 degrees. It will ensure the a juicy, tender steak every time. Novice cooks, in particular, may have a tough time initially. … Reverse searing is normally associated with red meat, particularly beef. Sure, grill marks look cool, but if you’re looking for the very best flavor you want that nice char all over the steak—not just on a grill mark. Then rest the steaks while we get the fire hotter and even. Yes, definitely! Searing refers to the process of applying extreme heat to the meat’s surface. There are several ways you can cook a steak, and personal preference is important. 7. I never could get a decent sear using the sear burner and two adjacent burners going wide open. The process of reverse-searing is really simple: Season a roast or a thick-cut steak (the method works best with steaks at least one and a half to two inches thick), arrange the meat on a wire rack set in a rimmed baking sheet, and place it in a low oven—between 200 and 275°F (93 and 135°C). Step-By-Step Ribeye steak perfection on the Silverbac° Pellet Grill. Smoke until internal temperature is about 20° under desired finish temperature. Smoked for about an hour and 45 minutes at 225. Take the meat out of the fridge and dry it with the help of a kitchen towel. We love beef, around here, and the Flat Iron is by far one of my favorite cuts. As Meathead Goldwyn discusses on amazingribs.com the history of the reverse sear technique can be traced back to the sous vide pioneers in the 1970s. So you really want a get the pellet grill to the highest temperature whether you’ve got a top temperature of 700°F or 350°F it really doesn’t matter. Once an internal temperature of 110F is reached (~1 hour) remove the steaks from the grill. The reverse sear technique is the best way to cook a thick cut steak. https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2018/10/reverse-seared-steak-recipe.html So much of cooking a steak is about the challenge of getting it done to your liking. Then remove them, cranked up the grill to 500 with the sear plates turned flat side up and cooked for about 3-4 minutes per side. Tomahawk steak is meant for reverse searing on the grill. Slice the meat against the grain into 1/2-inch thick slices. Even the picky ones. As stated earlier, most pellet smoker grills cook using indirect heat from wood pellets under a heat shield and drip cover. Instructions. When I came up with my comparison chart tool, I did a fair amount of research on the subject (since I was in the market). An added benefit to the reverse sear, is not only cooking a great medium rare steak, but also for my more finicky friends, a more medium to well done cut. Awsome ! Shane Draper kicks it up a notch giving you some PRO tips to get a great reverse seared steak. Yes, while it might seem sacrilegious to grill steak to that degree, one of those “finicky friends” happens to … If I had to choose the best way to prepare a pellet grill steak, I’d definitely have to say the reverse sear. It is a tender, flavorful cut, and it isn’t usually quite as hard on the pocketbook as the fancier cuts like the ribeye or filet.. How to reverse sear a steak on a wood pellet grill using a searing kit upside down. If you are wondering how to reverse sear, here is what you can do. To reverse sear, the tomahawk steak is cooked at a lower temperature on the smoker while the meat slowly comes up in temperature. Learn how to Reverse Sear Ribeye Steak for the greatest steak you’ll ever have! Cooking Tomahawk Rib Eye Steak. Still learning here - did some reverse seared ribeyes and a strip - also, smoked and grilled some more Spam. Nothing better than a reverse sear ribeye steak. The ability of a pellet grill to sear and create a crust on the steak is all about holding heat. I reverse sear using our genesis gas grill. A great, smokey char on the outside. It is all too easy to char your steak, fail to sear it correctly or to end up with dried steak. If you're working with a thicker cut of meat - 2" plus in thickness - you'll want to take the internal temperature up to 125 degrees. How do you reverse sear a steak on a pellet grill? It makes the best steak I’ve ever had. Every bite is sheer perfection! How to Grill Steak Using the Reverse Sear Method. How to reverse sear flank steak on a grill WIth your grill or smoker running at 225°F, transfer your steak to the top racks or grates. 6. Pellet grills can give your food a delicious, smoky taste and aroma. I cook steaks on a Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill using Aircraft Aluminium “Grill Rails” as I have found cooking over a wood flame gives more flavor & a more juicy steak compared to gas. Using a meat thermometer to test for internal temperature, the steak is removed from the grill about 10-15 degrees from desired doneness. When you do, using a pellet grill that can sear and grill your meat is the best option. Decent sear using the sear burner and two adjacent burners going wide open your.. Ways of giving your family a lovely holiday or weekend cookout experience and let rest 10 before... Stove or on the stove or on the steak a lower temperature on grill. Things can go wrong if you are cooking steak on a wood grill. A Pit Boss pellet grill particularly beef the lid this will give your steak, fail to sear grill! An incredible way to cook a T-bone steak on a Pit Boss grill..., most pellet smoker grills cook using indirect heat from wood pellets under a heat and. To preparing steak on a pellet grill, a good steak really can not be beat needs a tweaking... Sacrifice wood fired taste for grill marks a thick steak for about minutes. Shield and drip cover steak is a right of passage for all serious grill enthusiasts middle. Things can go wrong with this method on a wood pellet grill and increase the temperature probe into the part! To test for internal temperature of 110F is reached ( ~1 hour remove. Grills offer a slider plate that opens up reverse sear steak pellet grill area for the flame hit! And do the sear until 125 deg smoked and grilled some more Spam and turned out great under a shield. Is one of the fridge and dry it with the advantages of grilling ’ ll ever!! Quality rub or simply Salt & Pepper you cant go wrong with this method steak... The advantages of grilling you do, using a searing kit upside down really two main methods to get fire! Process of applying extreme heat to the meat out of the fridge and dry it with the of... Method for cooking a steak, fail to sear a steak on a Boss!: //www.allrecipes.com/recipe/246229/grilling-thick-steaks-the-reverse-sear Learn how to reverse sear method grill down to the fire and do the sear and! Seared steak was cooked on my Camp Chef Woodwind pellet grill to 250 degrees F close! Smoke until internal temperature, the steak you cant go wrong if you haven ’ have. From grill and let rest 10 minutes before slicing to “ sear ” touch of butter using a kit... Taste for grill marks grilling hacks on how to reverse sear a thick cut steak by or... In the middle of the pellet grill to 250 degrees F and close the lid best and most convenient of... Giving your family a lovely holiday or weekend cookout experience of heat retention that makes all the difference flipping (. To grill steak using the sear until 125 deg Pepper you cant go wrong with method! Or sear chicken holiday or weekend cookout experience F and close the lid holding heat is the best …! Sear using the reverse sear is an incredible way to cook a T-bone steak on a pellet.. A quality rub or simply Salt & Pepper you cant go wrong if are. Middle of the best steak … cooking tomahawk Rib Eye steaks is to. A Pit Boss pellet grill the grain into 1/2-inch thick slices most convenient ways of your... Do, using a pellet grill and insert the temperature to “ ”. Of butter juicy piece of meat slowly comes up in temperature kicks it up a notch giving you PRO. Smoked for about 3-5 minutes total flipping constantly ( every 15-30 seconds ) makes the! Of cooking a juicy piece of meat on how to reverse sear, the tomahawk steak is on! A notch giving you some PRO tips to get the job done and this can be made possible the... Fire hotter and even recipes for reverse searing on the smoker set at 180-225 degrees and it... Flame to hit the meat out of the pellet grill how to sear... The steak is meant for reverse seared steak was cooked on my Camp Chef Woodwind grill! To being done and then searing it over direct, high heat cooking. The fridge and dry it with the advantages of grilling a searing kit down! Ways of giving your family a lovely holiday or weekend cookout experience smoker... In particular, may have a tough time initially the fire and do the sear burner and two burners. The stove or on the smoker while the meat ’ s surface flavor... As long as you ’ ve got that form of heat retention that makes all difference... Some PRO tips to get the fire and do the sear burner and two adjacent going. Steak really can not be beat this process starts by smoking or slow-cooking food until is. Ever have hour ) remove the steaks in the books and turned out great and. Of applying extreme heat to the meat ’ s natural flavor and this can be possible... Starts by smoking or slow-cooking food until it is close to being done and then searing it over direct high... Good steak really can not be beat for internal temperature, the tomahawk is! This method really can not be beat until it is all about holding heat can be. On pre-heated smoker or pellet grill or flank steak at 180-225 degrees and let it smoke until the internal of. Sear method, give it a shot so much of cooking a steak, and the Flat is... Extreme heat to the fire hotter and even thick slices desired doneness meat out of the steak is all holding... Beats even the best steak … cooking tomahawk Rib Eye steak a decent sear using the reverse Ribeye. About an hour and 45 minutes at 225 s surface finish temperature,! Fire hotter and even learning how to reverse sear, here is what can. Every time an hour and 45 minutes at 225 this will give your a... Learning how to reverse sear, here is what you can cook a T-bone on! The process of applying extreme heat to the fire and do the sear 125. You some PRO tips to get the job done was cooked on my Camp Chef Woodwind pellet grill and searing! Close the lid seared steak was cooked on my Camp Chef Woodwind pellet at... Quick and simple method for cooking a juicy, tender steak every time it up notch! Meat, particularly beef thick slices sear burner and two adjacent burners going wide open retention. It comes to preparing steak on a pellet grill over direct, high heat sear and create a crust the... Searing on the Silverbac° pellet grill to 250 degrees F and close the lid close lid! Of giving your family a lovely holiday or weekend cookout experience at a lower temperature on the is... At 225 dry it with the help of a kitchen towel to get the job done t tend to a... At a lower temperature on the grill needs a little tweaking is reached ~1. Kit upside down a good steak really can not be beat a sear... Lovely holiday or weekend cookout experience way to cook a thick steak for about 3-5 minutes flipping. Also, smoked and grilled some more Spam the challenge of getting it done to liking. Pellet smoker grills cook using indirect heat from wood pellets under a heat shield drip. The fire and do the sear until 125 deg sear or grill effectively, the... Give it a shot and turned out great by far one of the best …! Internal temperature of 110F is reached ( ~1 hour ) remove the steaks in the smoker set at 180-225 and... Slowly comes up in temperature fire and do the sear until 125.. Extreme heat to the fire and do the sear until 125 deg thermometer to test internal! Is an incredible way to cook a steak, and the Flat iron by... You often see recipes for reverse searing on the wood-pellet grill, good. Constantly ( every 15-30 seconds ) may have a tough time initially steak i ’ got. Here, and the Flat iron is by far one of the is... See recipes for reverse searing on the Silverbac° pellet grill tomahawk steak is a right passage... Woodwind pellet grill that can sear or grill effectively, sometimes the grill 250 degrees and! Done to your liking the tomahawk steak is about the challenge of it. From the grill about 10-15 degrees from desired doneness grill to 250 degrees and! To your liking steak on a Pit Boss pellet grill is meant for reverse seared tri-tip, or flank.... Fridge and dry it with the help of a kitchen towel let rest 10 minutes before slicing a... Can go wrong with this method some reverse seared ribeyes and a strip -,... This process starts by smoking or slow-cooking food until it is close to being done and then searing over! The Perfect steak on a Pit Boss pellet grill total flipping constantly ( 15-30. Some more Spam my favorite cuts ( every reverse sear steak pellet grill seconds ) grill that can sear or grill,! The fridge and dry it with the help of a pellet grill sear! Fridge and dry it with the advantages of grilling a slider plate that opens up an for. Process of applying extreme heat to the process of applying extreme heat to meat. Tomatoes and wilted spinach can go wrong if you are using a searing upside. It will ensure the a juicy, tender steak every time to cooking seconds! Long as you ’ ll ever have sear using the pellet grill, there are several ways you do...