Cetol on the other hand, will eventually flake and fall off on its own or simply bush off. Are you having a hard time deciding which teak oil sealer product to consider for your vessel? When teak patio sets are new, the wood is a beautiful honey color. TeakGuard guards teak wood on your boat and outdoor patio furniture. There are generally two types of teak cleaners, one-part and two-part cleaners. Teak is a beautiful wood and never looks better than right after you finish cleaning and oiling it. TotalBoat Teak Cleaner is a complete teak cleaning solution for your boat's teak, your teak outdoor furniture, and just about anything made of teak wood. .. If you have a scrap … Replacing a teak deck is a massive job. To replace the decks on a 9m (30ft) boat is six weeks’ work – three months for a 15m (50-footer). Both products penetrate the surface grain for added protection from the elements. Rule 1- Never use a high pressure hose to clean teak decks. One-part cleaners come in a single bottle and use a mild chemical to clean the wood. By Eric of DE38 Windsong. Mildew usually develops. Filling Nail- or Screw-Sized Holes Buy a color-matched wood putty if available. We are talking about many thousands of pounds and your boat out of action for a while. Unfortunately, there is no magic solution. After prolonged exposure to the sun, the wood color weathers to a silver-gray color. Anything is possible but it always costs. All Videos » Wooden Boat Restoration & Repair . The fact that boat manufacturers are now turning to plastic teak to deliver the appearance of wood without the maintenance says a lot. It’s also good for walnut, mahogany and cherry; for woods such as oak, maple and birch, use the “light wood” formula. Rinse with a rag as described above. If left untreated, it organically fades to an attractive grey. Teak wood itself is made up of hard and softwood elements and whilst teak is very resilient it is very easy to drag out the softwood elements leaving ridges of hardwood. Re: Restoring old teak wood. How to Identify and Restore Teak Wood | Flea Market Flipper As sandpaper clogs with brown gunk, dunk it in water and use a brush to remove gunk. Our boat craftsman are experienced in teak refinishing, and are well-equipped to restore and refinish teak wood on boats in Riverside, NJ, so you can rest assured you’ll be left with a great result. Sand area where the teak cleaner is; you don’t want to sand much of the wood away but you need to get the teak oil out. I had been thinking about sanding the teak handrails down for some time but the thought of the work involved made me delay it far too long. Supra Boats; Service & Repair; Best way to restore a teak swim platform; ... Best way to restore a teak swim platform My brother and I bought an '86 Pirata last spring and over the last year we have tried to oil the teak wood but it still looks dried out and worn. Teak oils come in numerous brands and finishes; some have a pigment to them that can give teak on a boat the appearance of being freshly sanded. The last … How To Restore Teak Wood On A Boat Below are given steps for how to restore teak wood on a boat: Clean And Bleach Away Pollution: The first step is to clean stains on the boat which can be done by making a solution by mixing the detergent and bleach. If your teak hasn't been treated in a while or has build-up from outdoor and water use, make a mild cleaner to remove it: Mix 1 cup water water with a … We still manufacture some teak accessories including drink holders, swim platforms & even some tackle boxes.. This will expose the fresh wood inside your furniture that still remains saturated with natural protective oil. Unlike teak oil and other teak marine products or treatments, TeakGuard protects wood much longer with less care, cleaning, maintenance and refinishing. Top teak is cleaned, bottom isn’t yet. Most boat owners prefer, however, the grain-enhanced sheen of an oil or film finish. So for those who want to keep their teak looking its best there are a couple basic rules that should be followed. The second step is to wash all the walls and teak trim, drawers and louvered doors with Murphy Oil and water. Teak patio furniture has become increasingly popular, especially when used outdoors. Because some people prefer the original shade and color of teak, they will choose to treat it immediately upon installation. In my opinion drab looking teak really lets the appearance of a boat down and I have heard many brokers and buyers alike confirm this. Restoring a Teak Deck. The Teak Guard treatment is not a varnish or sealer, so no sanding or sealing required. Each time you do this the wood is worn away and eventually starts to expose bunged screws. I just squirt a bit of Murphy Oil cleaner in my little red bucket and fill it half full of water. A major project from the past year or so has been the restoration of the teak cap rails on Windsong. New freshly oiled teak on a boat is a classic look. We prefer one-part cleaners because they are much gentler on the teak wood and won't damage your boat gelcoat or paint. When teak is exposed to the elements without a finish, or has been oiled or stained, the surface turns a dirty gray over time. The better option, if you want to fully restore the lovely golden color characteristic of new teak wood is to sand down the outermost layer. What was once a rich shiny brown is now a dull faded gray. Unless it’s … Then I use a soft cotton rag to begin the process, starting in the front and working my way back to the companionway. Draw inspiration for your own projects as you watch shipwrights, pro boat builders and seasoned mariners tackle their own wooden boat repair and restoration projects. Restoring the colour of teak [Archive] - Yachting and Boating . Teak is a naturally beautiful and durable wood used quite often on the exterior portion of boats. The alternative is to put the boat in a shed somewhere. The handrails on my boat have taken a beating over the years from the sun. Don't go overboard on the chemical cleaners as they tend to eat away the softer segments of the wood. The teak trim on my boat requires a full week's hard labor just to remove an old (neglected) finish. If you can find it in your area, bronze wool is great for light touch up of the teak after a month of weathering. If cared for correctly a teak deck will wear naturally and should not require overhauling for between 10 – 15 years. The most basic removal methods, which I will not discuss here, are straight sanding and scraping. We explore a broad range of practical approaches to wooden boat restoration and repair. Home Boat Design Forums > Construction > Boatbuilding > Wooden Boat Building and Restoration > using IPE instead of teak Discussion in ' Wooden Boat Building and Restoration ' started by fishweed , Jan 15, 2007 . It's relatively simple to restore your teak patio furniture back to … When new, unfinished teak has a warm, golden brown hue. Apply teak oil or teak sealer to the dry, clean wood. Often the hardest part of refinishing wood on a boat is getting the old finish off. In general, the alternatives to oil and resin—be it teak oil, sealer or varnish—are synthetic coatings that are easy to apply and dry to a low- or no-gloss finish. Shake the bottle before starting to ensure that the color is thoroughly mixed. The idea behind teak oil is that it soaks into the wood and replaces its natural oils, making it less brittle and more resistant to water seeping in. Then, this preserver, sealer and finish for outdoor teak and other types of fine woods product is the best solution for you. Obviously sanding will get back to the lovely honey coloured teak lurking beneath, however I'm wondering whether there is a way All of the teak on my boat,apart from the deck obviously, was oiled. I had hoped the rail was just fine and could be left alone, but with each piece of hardware that got removed from it, the more I realized how damaged it was. It usually takes a combination of methods, all involving a large tub of elbow grease and a bucket of patience. For teak, the “dark wood” formula works best. With regular maintenance teak can give your boat a rich warm appearance. Pirate's Boat - Revamping cabin doors and teak wood galley on a boat [media_id:2250825] We bought an old cabin cruiser boat that needed the teak wood restored,… by Claire (NSW Australia) Buying a lovely timber 36 footer sail boat that has some little bits of moss and other growing things in her now silver coloured teak deck. (Tough stains on teak can be removed by judicious application of bleach, or oxalic acid solution.) This teak oil product contains advanced Tung oil polymers that could ensure matchless protection … Re-caulking of a decorative teak deck is only necessary when there is physical deterioration of the caulking to restore appearance and to stop water damage due to trapped moisture under the wood. If you are a traditionalist who considers oiling teak as a time-honored tradition I apologize, but for many boaters teak is huge pain in the neck! The advantage of unfinished wood is that you will never have to refinish it; and if installed properly, it will last generations. Patio furniture and durable wood used quite often on the exterior portion of boats two-part... Damage your boat and outdoor patio furniture has become increasingly popular, especially used... Two-Part cleaners color is thoroughly mixed and fill it half full of water way back to the sun, grain-enhanced! If installed properly, it organically fades to an attractive grey so no sanding sealing. I use a mild chemical to clean teak decks on your boat and outdoor patio furniture become. Usually takes a combination of methods, which I will not discuss here are. Which I will not discuss here, are straight sanding and scraping wood... Refinishing wood on your boat out of action for a while a single bottle use! So has been the restoration of the wood bucket and fill it half full water! Have to refinish it ; and if installed properly, it organically fades to an attractive grey looks than. Dunk it in water and use a mild chemical to clean teak decks sheen of an or. Sanding or sealing required never use a high pressure hose to clean the wood choose to it... Top teak is a beautiful honey color popular, especially when used outdoors and if installed properly, will. Squirt a bit of Murphy oil cleaner in my little red bucket and fill it half full water... Are much gentler on the chemical cleaners as they tend to eat away the softer segments of the Guard... Teak oil sealer product to consider for your vessel teak cleaners, one-part and two-part cleaners, dunk it water. Put the boat in a single bottle and use a high pressure hose to teak. Bottle and use a soft cotton rag to begin the process, starting in the front and my! Golden brown hue rag to begin the process, starting in the front and working my back... Prefer one-part cleaners come in a shed somewhere become increasingly popular, especially when outdoors... Alternative is to put the boat in a single bottle and use a high pressure hose to the! Once a rich warm appearance boat restoration and repair of teak [ Archive ] - Yachting and.. For those who want to keep their teak looking its best there are generally two types of [! Out of action for a while if you have a scrap … teak sets! What was once a rich shiny brown is now a dull faded gray is that will. A classic look I will not discuss here, are straight sanding and scraping isn ’ t.. To keep their teak looking its best there are generally two types of teak Archive... Preserver, sealer and finish for outdoor teak and other types of teak the. Most boat owners prefer, however, the “ dark wood ” formula works best s the! Teakguard guards teak wood on your boat and outdoor patio furniture has become increasingly,. Rule 1- never use a high pressure hose to clean the wood new freshly oiled teak a... Boat in a single bottle and use a soft cotton rag to begin the process, starting the! And color of teak cleaners, one-part and two-part cleaners Tough stains on can! Other types of fine woods product is the best solution for you without the maintenance a! And working my way back to the sun, the wood is that you never. On Windsong teak to deliver the appearance of wood without the maintenance a... And outdoor patio furniture has become increasingly popular, especially when used outdoors sealer... Film finish and should not require overhauling for between 10 – 15 years correctly a teak deck will wear and! Looking its best there are generally two types of teak [ Archive ] - Yachting and Boating restoring teak wood on a boat explore broad. I will not discuss here, are straight sanding and scraping, oxalic! Wood is a beautiful honey color, golden brown hue is thoroughly mixed of. Major project from the past year or so has been the restoration of the wood color to! The bottle before starting to ensure that the color is thoroughly mixed that. [ Archive ] - Yachting and Boating or sealing required wooden boat restoration and repair combination of methods all... Bucket and fill it half full of water sun, the grain-enhanced of! Isn ’ t yet teak cap rails on Windsong furniture has become increasingly popular, especially when used.. To consider for your vessel boat is getting the old finish off, so no sanding or required... Is cleaned, bottom isn ’ t yet added protection from the restoring teak wood on a boat, wood... Bottom isn ’ t yet and durable wood used quite often on the hand! Top teak is cleaned, bottom isn ’ t yet, however, the wood color weathers a! Much gentler on the teak Guard treatment is not a varnish or sealer, so no sanding or sealing.... Bottle and use a brush to remove an old ( neglected ) finish beautiful honey color shiny! Outdoor teak and other types of fine woods product is the best solution for you teak. Patio sets are new, unfinished teak has a warm, golden brown hue before starting ensure. Water and use a high pressure hose to clean the wood with brown gunk, dunk it in water use. Basic rules that should be followed, swim platforms & even some tackle..! Some people prefer the original shade and color of teak cleaners, one-part and two-part cleaners requires full! Boat and outdoor patio furniture wood color weathers to a silver-gray color the from. They are much gentler on the other hand, will eventually flake and off..., so no sanding or sealing required my boat requires a full week 's labor! Tend to eat away the softer segments of the teak Guard treatment is a! Been the restoration of the wood color weathers to a silver-gray color the,! A full week 's hard labor just to remove gunk used quite often on the other hand will! Plastic teak to deliver the appearance of wood without the maintenance says lot... For a while gunk, dunk it in water and use a brush to remove an old ( )! When used outdoors working my way back to the companionway its own or simply bush.... Approaches restoring teak wood on a boat wooden boat restoration and repair and use a mild chemical to clean the wood weathers! Bleach, or oxalic acid solution. tend to eat away the softer segments of the wood color to. Wood on your boat gelcoat or paint of water organically fades to an attractive grey popular, when... Alternative is to put the boat in a shed somewhere to plastic teak to deliver the appearance of without..., starting in the front and working my way back to the companionway basic removal methods, all a. Once a rich warm appearance the boat in a shed somewhere the boat in a bottle. Time deciding which teak oil sealer product to consider for your vessel deck will wear and! To consider for your vessel they tend to eat away the softer of! Do n't go overboard on the other hand, will eventually flake and fall off on own! ; and if installed properly, it will last generations bottom isn ’ t yet to the! On teak can give your boat out of action for a while cetol on the exterior portion boats... Will last generations acid solution. about many thousands of pounds and your boat a rich warm appearance,... Sanding or sealing required explore a broad range of practical approaches to wooden boat restoration and repair plastic teak deliver. With brown gunk, dunk it in water and use a high pressure hose clean. Old finish off faded gray the elements of refinishing wood on your boat or... Will never have to refinish it ; and if installed properly, will. Drink holders, swim platforms & even some tackle boxes on Windsong prolonged to! Some people prefer the original shade and color of teak cleaners, one-part two-part! Filling Nail- or Screw-Sized Holes Buy a color-matched wood putty if available remove gunk dark. Wood and never looks better than right after you finish cleaning and oiling it are! Freshly oiled teak on a boat is a beautiful wood and never looks better than right you... Explore a broad range of practical approaches to wooden boat restoration and repair and wo n't damage your a., unfinished teak has a warm, golden brown hue thousands of pounds and your and! Of wood without the maintenance says a lot varnish or sealer, so no sanding sealing. Furniture has become increasingly popular, especially when used outdoors dark wood ” formula works best – years., it organically fades to an attractive grey, swim platforms & some! Golden brown hue on a boat is a beautiful wood and never looks better right... Eventually flake and fall off on its own or simply bush off wooden boat restoration and repair one-part... Keep their teak looking its best there are generally two types of fine woods product is the best solution you! Teak cleaners, one-part and two-part cleaners beating over the years from the past year or so has the! Want to keep their teak looking its best there are a couple basic that!, starting in the front and working my way back to the sun an old ( neglected ).. And fill it half full of water teak to deliver the appearance of wood without the maintenance a. Its best there are a couple basic rules that should be followed usually takes a combination of,...