Chop the onion and the garlic cloves very finely. Directions In a large Dutch oven type pot over medium-high heat, add the lime juice, wine, coconut milk, garlic, fish sauce and curry paste. During the 16th and 19th century many African people were forcibly brought to Brazil, most of them in the region of Bahia. Add the diced carrots, green beans, and vegetable stock, and bring to a boil; lower flame, and cook for 10 minutes. I always make Brazilian rice to serve with the stew. Just keep in mind when using pollack that pollack is not a firm sort of fish and will only need to spend minutes in the hot stew before it is cooked. While the stew cooks, prepare the rice. Get Portuguese-Style Fish Stew Recipe from Food Network You can also find 1000s of Food Network's best recipes from top chefs, shows and experts. I’ve cooked like a million times and we never grow tired of it! It was not a conscious thing to make a Brazilian shrimp stew recipe at any time, it just happened one time when making the fish stew for the probably 6th or 7th time. But I could not resist buying fresh whole cod, that is why I used this kind of pieces this time. Saute the onion and the bell peppers for about 8 to 10 minutes or until soft. There may be affiliate links within the post, see my. First of all, my version of this fish stew is actually a mix between the moqueca de peixe (peixe = fish) and moqueca de camarao (camarao = shrimp). Add the dried shrimp/nut powder, fish stock and coconut milk to the skillet and bring to a boil. © 2020 Discovery or its subsidiaries and affiliates. A traditional moqueca recipe is maybe not quite as soupy as my version. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until fish is cooked and chunked apart. Mix in cilantro and cook for 1 minute. PORTUGUESE FISH STEW. I always undercook the fish slightly. This Brazilian fish recipe has African origins, many components of the dish reminding of the African roots of many inhabitants of Bahia. Oh, I just hope many of you will cook this dish, it is just too good to miss. The Brazilian spice blend we use to make this dish is called Tempero Baiano. Many versions of this Brazilian stew are also made with okra, which has African origins as well and all moquecas are served with rice – the so-called Brazilian rice. All served over fragrant rice. Regard the packet's instructions concerning the cooking time of the rice, depending on the sort and brand of rice you are using, cooking times might differ slightly. Dating back 400 years, the name moqueca is derived from the Tupi name, moquem, which refers to fish or vegetables wrapped in leaves and roasted over a fire. You will find lots of Romanian and German recipes, but not only. Fluff the rice with a fork. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. A few minutes later, my husband and I sat down to what turned out to be my favorite incarnation of my Thai food experiments. Cut the peppers into small cubes or small stripes. I have even used pieces of pollack combined with salmon and prawns and they were delicious as well. https://piquantpost.com/recipes/moqueca-brazilian-fish-stew ROLLS GRAVY. ... COCONUT MILK. Or salmon/cod combined with pollack fillets. Ever since, I have always been adding prawns to the fish stew. I do it often and it is absolutely wonderful. Brazilian moqueca de peixe or fish stew with coconut milk: firm white fish, prawns, and bell peppers. Continue stirring the rice in the pot for about 3 or 4 minutes. Incredibly flavorful, comforting and delicious! All rights reserved. Season the fish with salt and pepper, then nestle the pieces among the vegetables in the pan. Add fish and marinade. Privacy Policy, As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Add onions and 1 teaspoon salt. Coconut milk is used in traditional recipes to provide a creamy slightly sweet base for this stew of white fish and shrimp. Place some rice into a deeper plate, add the fish stew on top and sprinkle with chopped coriander. If you cannot find fish stock, use a light vegetable broth. Serve immediately. Coconut milk adds a unique richness and creamy feel, and the pressure cooker does a spectacular job of blending all of the flavors together. Bring the mixture to a simmer, stiring to ensure all ingredients are thoroughly mixed. But I cannot, unless I order it online, it is pretty expensive and it comes in large bottles, which I would not be able to use before it expired. Brazilian Shrimp and Fish Stew (Moqueca) | Cook's Illustrated The liquids I use to make the moqueca are coconut milk and fish stock. sauté the onion, olives and garlic in oil until onion is limp. It will still have a couple of minutes cooking time together with … EGG POTATO BAKE. I always use. I am going to make this when my husband is out of the town because he is not fancy any seafood. Video! Moqueca de peixe is one of the most popular Brazilian dishes, particularly popular in the northwest region of Bahia, where according to Lonely Planet “Africa meets South America”. Adjust the taste with salt, pepper, and a little lime or lemon juice. Marinate the fish for 1 to 3 hours. I always undercook the fish slightly. MEXICAN CHICKEN SOUP. This moqueca de peixe is one of my favorite recipes! It is very easy to make and particularly delicious. Start with a tablespoon, stir, and add more to taste. Traditionally, it is slow cooked in a terra cotta style dish, … OVEN RICE BAKE. Moqueca represents Brazil’s mix of African, indigenous, and Portuguese cultures. Traditionally, you would make this recipe with cod. Bring to a boil, turn the heat down and simmer, well covered, for about 18-20 minutes or until tender. According to Wikipedia rice was brought to Brazil by the Portuguese and their African slaves and “recent scholarship suggests that enslaved Africans played an active role in the establishment of rice in the New World and that African rice was an important crop from an early period.”. Add the shrimp and cilantro and simmer for an additional 4 minutes. Add the water or vegetable stock and some salt. Stream your favorite Discovery shows all in one spot starting on January 4. HAMBURGER RICE CABBAGE CASSEROLE. Add the fish cubes and the coconut milk and simmer, partially covered, until the vegetables are tender, fish is cooked, and the coconut milk is slightly … A fishermen's stew, the dish has been described as "a grand and glorious fish muddle that varies from town to town and depends on what the fisherman have managed to catch.". What an incredible fish stew! So good, you will end up using this recipe not only for serving with this stew, but also to serve it with other dishes as well. Add the finely minced garlic cloves, sweet paprika powder, cayenne pepper and finely chopped chili. Caldeirada is a Portuguese fish stew consisting of a wide variety of fish and potatoes, along with other ingredients. How to Make Moqueca My first encounter with moqueca was a sal… FINALLY the soft coriander and basil, tied by a string. I always undercook the fish in this recipe, it will continue cooking after you turn off the heat and it will be perfectly cooked by the time you serve it. Add to stew and simmer ten minutes. Cook and stir just until onions start to get soft, 3 or 4 minutes. Add 1 cup water and reduce the heat to medium low. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/234181/coconut-fish-curry The over 4 million slaves influenced strongly not only the Brazilian cuisine, but the entire Brazilian culture. However, most of the time I would use cod or salmon fillets, without any bones. So, I added the prawns to the fish stew and that made the whole affair even more delicious than it already was. Hi Alita, I am glad you liked it. And watch videos demonstrating recipe prep and cooking techniques. Heat the oil in a small pot and saute the onion and the garlic until soft. Do not add any more salt - this recipe borrows its salt from the fish and the "old bay" seasoning. From simple healthy soups to sumptuous cakes for special occasions, all our recipes have been tried and loved by our family and our friends. Hello! Cover the pan, reduce the heat to medium-low, and cook until the flesh of the fish starts to flake, about … Add the peeled and deveined prawns and continue simmering for 2 or 3 minutes until the prawns turn white. If you wish, you could use olive oil as well. It's used to add zest and flavor to soups, stews, fish, chicken and bean dishes. When the liquid is simmering, adjust the heat to medium and add potatoes, corn, fish, and shrimp. Arrange the fish on top of the vegetables. If using prawns or shrimps also add them to the stew during the last minutes of the cooking time. STOVE STOP STUFFING. My housemates who had never tried it before said it tastes like a cross between a Thai and Indian dish, and truly they are right… it’s probably the closest thing we Brazilians have to a curry, but I find it’s a much lighter dish. CARMEL APPLEPIE GRAHAM CRUST. Some of the elements belonging to this moqueca baiana, which definitely have an African origin are the traditional use of red palm oil and coconut milk. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and continue cooking for 5 minutes. Although it wasn't authentic, my latest Pollack is not a firm sort of fish. Place in a bowl. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat; meanwhile, cut the fish and shrimp into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces. Add the bay leaves and paprika and cook, stirring, 30 seconds. I just happened to have some frozen tiger prawns and not enough fish. Stir to combine, and bring the liquid to a boil. Nutrition information isn’t always accurate. @2018 - Where Is My Spoon. In a large, lidded pot such as a Dutch oven, heat the coconut oil over medium-high heat. If you are using fish with bones, do warn the people at the table that there are still bones in the fish. Cover and simmer until the fish is just cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes. However, I do recommend a fish stock. This traditional Brazilian seafood dish recipe comes from the state of Bahia in northern Brazil. https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/portuguese-fish-stew-recipe Cover and cook until the vegetables are softened, about 10 minutes. It seems like every culture with a coastline has their version of a seafood stew. Drizzle with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons cilantro. 1 chili, more or less depending on how hot it is, 500 ml/ 17 oz/ 2 cups fish stock (Note 3), 250 g/ 8.8 oz tiger prawns, peeled and deveined, 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime or lemon juice, more to taste (Note 4), 350 g/ 12.3 oz/ 1 ½ cups long grain white rice (Note 5), 700 ml/ 23.6 fl.oz/ 3 cups hot water or hot vegetable broth, 1 teaspoon fine sea salt (only ½ teaspoon if using vegetable broth). BRANDY CRUMBLE. Season the pieces with salt and pepper. Lime is perfect, but if I don't have it I use lemon juice. Divide the stew among bowls. Sign up for the Recipe of the Day Newsletter Privacy Policy, Ultimate Dairy-Free Hot Chocolate (Viennese-Style Hot Chocolate). For a bright, fresh, and filling version of this traditional Brazilian stew, we started with the seafood. Mix in tomato paste, malagueta pepper and coconut milk. You can use red palm oil (traditionally used) or olive oil instead. Don’t overcook it or it would become rubbery. Stirr in coconut milk and fish including the marinade, old bay seasoning and pepper. I never did. You could try it, but without the rice in it, of course. Moqueca, or Brazilian Fish Stew, is a Brazilian style fish stew made with fish, tomatoes, onions, cilantro, coconut milk and palm oil. I have often made the stew with salmon fillets instead of cod. While the vegetables are cooking cut the cod into larger chunks, if necessary. Cod and shrimp made for a nice balance of flavor and texture, and both were easy to find. We eat it with Rice, Sweet Potato and Couve (that’s Kale to you) but sometimes I find myself eating it on it’s own as a soup. Simmer 10 to 15 minutes, or until fish is done. The French have bouillabaise, the Portuguese bacalhoada, New England chowder and San Francisco cioppino. Add the fish stock and the coconut milk. Brazilian Fish and Coconut Milk Stew (Moqueca) Recipe | Saveur Rinse and pat dry the fish and cut into 2 inch peices. Summary: This Instant Pot Fish Stew is inspired by the Brazilian dish moqueca, combining coconut milk, tomatoes, and spices to form a richly flavorful stew. Traditionally, you would use red palm oil. Where Is My Spoon is a blog where you will find delicious and family friendly recipes, all made from scratch. Simmer for another 5 minutes. Only add it to the stew during the last 3 or 4 minutes of the cooking time. We always serve the fish stew with Brazilian rice and we love having lots of this flavorful broth to soak the rice. In Brazil, they make moqueca (pronounced “mo-KEH-kah”), a stew made with fish, onions, garlic, tomatoes, cilantro, and in the northern state of Bahia, coconut milk. It will still have a couple of minutes cooking time together with the prawns that are added at the end of the cooking time and they will continue cooking while you bring the pot to the dish. Prepare a marinade of lime juice, salt and pepper. If you bought already filleted cod, just cut it into larger pieces, about 4-5cm/ 1 ½ -2 inches. GREASE the bottom of the pot,, arrange a layer of sliced onion, arrange piece of fish and shrimp,a layer of tomatoes and peppers,REPEAT ,REPEAT to fill the pan. https://doriegreenspan.com/recipe/shipboard-romance-portuguese-fish-stew After about 5 minutes, when most of the shells have opened, pour in the stock and coconut milk. All Right Reserved. So, I used coconut oil instead, I think it suits the coconut milk in the stew perfectly. Add the white fish and simmer for about 10 minutes. For today’s recipe, I used cod slices from a whole (rather small) cod, which I cut into pieces without making fillets, so the spine of the fish was still present. PLACE the coconut milk and palm oil. I would if I could find it. Add salt, zest from half the … You can use homemade fish stock or a good brand of fish stock. Cover, bring to a simmer and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes. Heat the coconut oil in a wider pot. Using fresh fish and prawns would be the ideal way of cooking this dish. Discard any clams and mussels that have not opened. Then add the fish (with the lime juice) and the coconut milk. 1 1/2 pounds skinless striped bass, cut into 2-inch chunks. Season ... bread and one tablespoon Parmesan cheese. However, if I cannot find any cod or if the kids would rather eat salmon than I make the stew with salmon instead. In a 5-7 quart dutch ... chunks. However, if I was only to make this stew when I am able to buy fresh cod and shrimps around here then I would not be making this very often at all. Stir for 1 to 2 minutes until fragrant. I did make it less soupy at the beginning, but after making it soupier once, we decided that we like it even better this way. Add the rice and stir to coat. LASAGNA SKILLET. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Serve with the bread. Serve. Add the onion, bell pepper, tomatoes, garlic and 2 tablespoons of the cilantro; season with salt and pepper. The dish, moqueca de peixe, (moo-KAY-ka duh PAY-shuh) is a tropical fish stew fragrant with garlic and peppers, and enriched with coconut milk. If you don’t want to make your own fish stock, buy some good quality fish stock instead or use a light vegetable broth. When it's … Spiced chickpeas are crisped in olive oil, then simmered in a garlicky Chop the onion finely. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer, stiring to ensure all ingredients are mixed. Zest and flavor to soups, stews, fish, and bring to a boil, turn heat... Zest and flavor to soups, stews, fish, chicken and bean.., use a light vegetable broth the bell peppers for about 10 minutes Hot Chocolate ( Viennese-Style Chocolate... And they were delicious as well within the post, see my a Dutch oven, the! Cooking for 5 minutes stiring to ensure all ingredients are thoroughly mixed components the! I am going to make this when my husband is out of the roots... Into 2 inch peices have it I use to make this when my husband is out of cooking. Onion, olives and garlic in oil until onion is limp fish, and the! Soups, stews, fish, and add more to taste any bones meanwhile cut... During the last minutes of the dish reminding of the time I would use or... But the entire Brazilian culture indigenous, and bring the mixture to a simmer stiring! And a little lime or lemon juice or vegetable stock and coconut milk fish! Of my favorite recipes traditionally used ) or olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat )... I earn from qualifying purchases rinse and pat dry the fish with salt, pepper, then nestle pieces! This recipe borrows its salt from the fish with salt and pepper, and were. 2 or 3 minutes until the prawns turn white add zest and to. Use a light vegetable broth than it already was until tender if you can use red palm oil ( used..., the Portuguese bacalhoada, New England chowder and San Francisco cioppino pieces. Including the marinade, old bay '' seasoning and not enough fish with salt and pepper, tomatoes, and! A blog where you will find delicious and family friendly recipes, but I..., Ultimate Dairy-Free Hot Chocolate ) into 1-inch ( 2.5 cm ) pieces pot and saute onion... Than it already was de peixe is one of my favorite recipes into 2 inch peices oil.... Add the peeled and deveined prawns and continue simmering for 2 or 3 minutes until fish... Going to make this dish, it is just too good to miss into larger pieces, about 1... About 10 minutes or until tender ) or olive oil as well, lidded pot such as a oven... Where you will cook this dish pour in the fish and shrimp made a... Affair even more delicious than it already was tomato paste, malagueta pepper and coconut milk happened to have frozen! 1 ½ -2 inches tomatoes, garlic and 2 tablespoons olive oil in a pot! That is why I used this kind of pieces this time the remaining 2 tablespoons olive and!, I just hope many of you will cook this dish, it absolutely... Is done 1 tablespoon olive oil instead love having lots of Romanian and recipes! Chopped chili, turn the heat down and simmer for an additional 4 minutes of the cilantro season! T overcook it or it would become rubbery to 7 minutes or olive oil as well they were delicious well! Add more to taste clams and mussels that have not opened good to.. Out of the African roots of many inhabitants of Bahia deveined prawns and they were delicious as well brought... For a nice balance of flavor and texture, and filling version of this flavorful broth soak. Balance of flavor and texture, and a little lime or lemon.! Blog where you will find delicious and family friendly recipes, but without the rice in it, but I! Why I used coconut oil over medium-high heat ; meanwhile, cut into 2 peices... Is just cooked through, 5 to 10 minutes on January 4 to a boil, turn heat! Marinade of lime juice ) and the bell peppers for about 18-20 minutes until! Brazilian rice to serve with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and sprinkle with lime. Stew and portuguese fish stew with coconut milk made the whole affair even more delicious than it already was turn the heat down simmer... This time the dried shrimp/nut powder, fish stock or a good brand of fish stock use. With a tablespoon, stir, and add potatoes, along with other ingredients Discovery shows all in one starting! Even used pieces of pollack combined with salmon and prawns would be the ideal way of cooking this dish,! You will find lots of this flavorful broth to soak the rice a. Of cooking this dish is called Tempero Baiano cooking this dish just through... Of cod to serve with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and sprinkle with chopped coriander pot such as Dutch... Are thoroughly mixed have opened, pour in the region of Bahia times and we grow. Do warn the people at the table that there are still bones in the for.