Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Keyword: okra gumbo . i added a bit of vegetable stock with the tomato paste and a jalapeno to spice it up.. No problem, while it adds a little southern touch and helps thicken the gumbo, it doesn't affect the overall flavor too much. Also it adds way too much tomato flavor and therefore hides all the other flavors. Fresh okra is best in this recipe but this is one of those recipes where frozen sliced okra works as well. Info. Allrecipes is part of the Meredith Food Group. Authentic Creole flavors and so easy to make! This guide to cooking roast beef will help you create a flavorful, moist, and tender roast. Good gumbo recipe. If you don’t like the slime, keep okra whole and use a dry-heat cooking method. Doesn't take but about five minutes at the end of cooking time. Shrimp are already seasoned so you may not need it. I also recommend using andouille sausage and searing it in a pan before adding it to the pot. The final result was just okay all I could taste was tomato. I did fine making the roux but it's the darn tomato paste. Ingredients. Toss shrimp in remaining Cajun seasoning and place in the refrigerator. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. During this time, the okra, which is initially slimy, will turn the mixture very dark and glutinous. Bake until cooked through, about … Some people like hot crusty garlic toasted french bread too! Gumbo: There are a million ways to make Louisiana’s classic stew, but most recipes rely on a foundation of bell pepper, onion, and celery called the holy trinity. I used fresh veggies and my own seasonings (cayenne, oregano, thyme, etc.). The accompanying potato salad is simple but just perfect beside the gumbo. Then eventually, came the crabs and shellfish from the Gulf of Guinea. Took to a party and had several requests for recipe. There's "Ochra Gumbo" with cut okra stewed in beef broth seasoned with just salt and pepper and served with "dry boiled rice." Add comma separated list of ingredients to exclude from recipe. If you enjoyed this Classic Sausage Chicken and Okra Gumbo recipe, here are more you might like. Learn how to make this classic winter warmer with recipes from around the world. Cut-up okra provides texture, while shrimp, sausage, and bacon add savoriness. vegetable oil, divided 2 lbs. Tipton’s okra gumbo hinges on beef short ribs that are roasted in the oven before they go into the pot, a silky, lovely idea. Rinse the okra and add it to the recipe as directed. Stir in okra, mushrooms, diced tomatoes and their liquid, tomato paste, file powder, bay leaves, salt, and pepper. There are a number of regional variations, all hotly debated among Cajun and Creole loyalists. No, gumbo is a hearty soup or stew inspired by the French bouillabaisse and named after the West African word for okra “guingombo.” It can be thickened with a dark roux, okra, or file powder, or a combination. This okra based gumbo is full of flavor. They are both thickening agents and only one is needed. Chicken Shrimp and Okra Gumbo- Easy Gumbo done right! North American sassafras leaves are... 2. This healthy vegan Gumbo with okra and lentils is made without meat, seafood, and a roux. https://louisianacajunmansion.com/cajun-shrimp-and-okra-gumbo-recipe Otherwise the gumbo will become stringy and completely unpalatable. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. Add remaining onion and bell pepper; saute with roux until onion is translucent, 5 to 7 minutes. Get one of our Roux based authentic seafood gumbo with okra recipe and prepare delicious and healthy treat for your family or friends. With it’s dark flavorful roux, fresh seafood, smoked sausage and fresh okra, this New Orleans Gumbo is the ultimate comfort food. 3 ribs celery (about 1/2 cup chopped) 3 tablespoons vegetable shortening (or oil) 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour. Simmer for 1-1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. This guide to cooking roast beef will help you create a flavorful, moist, and tender roast. Vegan File Okra Gumbo A vegan gumbo is probably how the first gumbo was prepared. Powered by the ESHA Research Database © 2018, ESHA Research, Inc. All Rights Reserved, The ingredient list now reflects the servings specified. Satisfying, warming, flavorful, rich and so hearty! Adjust the spice to make it as hot or mild as you'd like. Good appetite! Roast beef is a classic main dish for holidays, family get-togethers, and elegant dinners alike. My end result again was a thick flavorless glop of tomato mess. 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning, divided, or to taste, 1 large green bell pepper, diced, divided, 1 tablespoon tomato paste, or more to taste, 2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with green pepper and onion, ⅛ teaspoon Cajun-style crab boil seasoning, or to taste. The various methods for cooking okra seemingly exist either to maximize or mitigate okra’s mucilage. Add the andouille, bay leaves, jerk … Toss the okra with some olive oil, then spread in a baking sheet. File powder – ground sassafras – takes it the rest of the way. It was in the seafood section near the counter. … Filé is ground sassafras … There's plenty of cold weather left to enjoy this Cajun classic. But keep in mind the spice will be more prevalent. Add the chicken in the pan and sauté until … How to Make Chicken Shrimp and Okra Gumbo Lightly season the chicken with salt and pepper. Learn how to cook great Kevin belton okra gumbo . And finally, there's "Oyster Gumbo Soup," which also starts with browned chicken simmered in water, but instead of okra, … If you use file powder I'd recommend omitting the tomato paste because the end result is super thick. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to a simmer and let cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour. Peel shrimp and toss shells with 1/2 tablespoon of Cajun seasoning. Give it another shot and I'm sure you'll see a huge difference in taste. The dark roux is key to this dish and it's where all of the flavor lies. About Gumbo. Add the leek tops or chopped onion and the water. This was good. Cook Time 30 mins. This chicken gumbo uses okra and file to thicken. Her "Chicken Gumbo" is made of chicken fried until brown, then added to a soup kettle with sliced okra and onions, covered with water, and simmered. The thing is, though, the okra is used as a thickener for the soup, and when you eat properly made okra gumbo you don't get that slimy texture at all. Stir in shrimp and continue cooking until shrimp are bright pink but not tough, about 20 minutes. Shrimp, Okra and Andouille Smoked Sausage Gumbo Unlike other gumbos or other Louisiana dishes that start with a roux from oil and flour, the roux or thickness in this dish is from the … With rich authentic flavors and incredibly delicious taste. When it comes to the cuisine of the American South, you can’t get much more authentic than Gumbo. Gumbo evolved from the French pot-au-feu, when the slaves from West Africa added okra as a thickener to the already roux-thickened French stew. Crecipe.com deliver fine selection of quality Kevin belton okra gumbo recipes equipped with ratings, reviews and mixing tips. Add more broth or water as needed. Stir in the chicken meat and season the gumbo with salt, pepper and Tabasco. The flavors are so mind-blowing I may stick to this one for a long time…I’m lying, lol. I did not have the thickening agent and I needed a use for some pearl barley so I added a handful and it really thickened the sauce and gave it some excellent texture. I should have left it out AGAIN but I wanted to retry the recipe step by step. Stir in garlic, onion, and green bell pepper, and saute until tender. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Gumbo filé. Oct 31, 2020 - Explore Cheryl Willis Graves's board "Okra Gumbo" on Pinterest. Where my family comes from, Gumbo is made with beef, salted cod, shrimp, crab and of course, okra. If making gumbo on the stove, consider adding the okra about an hour before the stew is ready. The okra thickens the gumbo some. Crecipe.com deliver fine selection of quality Kevin belton okra gumbo recipes equipped with ratings, reviews and mixing tips. While you're at it, SHARE this with your friends and leave a comment below! Let cook for at least 2 hours; the longer it cooks, the more flavor will be in your stock. Gumbo tastes even better the next day because the flavors have all had a chance to mingle and settle. Do not add any extra Cajun seasoning to gumbo pot until after shrimp are added. Emeril's(R) or Tony Chacere's Cajun seasoning blend is best. I loved it, my family loved it. All in all it turned out great. Allrecipes is part of the Meredith Food Group. Ingredients. There are a number of regional variations, all hotly debated among Cajun and Creole loyalists. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. You can enjoy this gluten-free, meat-free dinner with rice, bread or even potatoes. Serve with rice. It seemed to be missing water to rehydrate the tomato paste. Add the shrimp shells, dried shrimp, bay leaves, thyme and garlic, stir to coat with the hot oil and let cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 or 4 minutes. It gives a unique flavor to gumbo and thickens the mixture but it must be used sparingly. This is a good light lunch recipe. Gumbo (Louisiana Creole: Gombo) is a soup popular in the U.S. state of Louisiana, and is the official state cuisine.Gumbo consists primarily of a strongly-flavored stock, meat or shellfish, a thickener, and the Cajun/Creole "holy trinity" ― celery, bell peppers, and onions.Gumbo is often categorized by the type of thickener used, whether okra or filé powder (dried and ground sassafras leaves). Course: Main Course . Crecipe.com deliver fine selection of quality Roux based authentic seafood gumbo with okra recipes equipped with ratings, reviews and mixing tips. If you skip the flour step you're not making a gumbo. I've had okra hating friends eat gumbo that I've made with okra not realize that they were eating okra -- they thought those little floating green things were slices of pepper. Step 2 Good appetite! File is to be used without okra. And, … This simple and easy-to-make recipe will have you making gumbo like a pro, as it comes … If you don't like okra's mucilaginous character and you want to simply add the okra as a vegetable, you can soak the okra in 1/2 cup of red wine or apple cider vinegar for 1/2 hour first. Cook on HIGH for 3-5 hours or LOW for 5-7 hours. It is a … Just a comment to Sinsgirl if you decide to give this recipe another shot. The word gumbo was first recorded to be used in American vernacular around 1805, deriving from Louisiana Creole, but originates from either the Umbundu word ochinggômbo or the Kimbundu word ki-ngombo. I used some Creole seasoning with a hint of wasabi for extra spiciness. You might close your eyes and try it sometime. Perfect Gumbo recipe. Add the chicken meat and corn to the gumbo with the remaining stock or water and simmer for 30 minutes longer, stirring from time to time. Some gumbo recipes calling for chicken, sausage, and/or shellfish, some calling for tomatoes (and others strictly prohibit them), and some including okra and/or file powder. Add okra to gumbo as a fresh vegetable or as a thickener. I rarely cook with beef, however, so I went with a pair of deer shanks from a whitetail I’d shot in Oklahoma. 2 onions (about 1 1/2 cups chopped) 1 green bell pepper. Shrimp, Okra and Andouille Smoked Sausage Gumbo Unlike other gumbos or other Louisiana dishes that start with a roux from oil and flour, the roux or thickness in this dish is from the okra. Can not wait to try it with all fresh ingredients and file powder. I used fresh veggies and my own seasonings (cayenne, oregano, thyme, etc.). No gift befits the food-obsessed people in your life like a cookbook. The only reason I didn't give it five stars is that it really does need some liquid in the recipe. Rice is served on the side with gumbo. It won 1st place in our cooking contest at my family reunion. I added it anyways as well as 2 cups vegetable broth and 8 oz more diced tomatoes. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. Gumbo should have a stew-like consistency, do not make it too soupy! I kinda winged this recipe but it turned out great! A heart-warming soul-pleasing dish that gets you hooked with just one taste. If you are using pre-cooked/seasoned shrimp, add and turn the burner off; shrimp will be hot in 10 to 20 minutes. Directions Step 1 Gumbo (Louisiana Creole: Gombo) is a soup popular in the U.S. state of Louisiana, and is the official state cuisine.Gumbo consists primarily of a strongly-flavored stock, meat or shellfish, a thickener, and the Cajun/Creole "holy trinity" ― celery, bell peppers, and onions.Gumbo is often categorized by the type of thickener used, whether okra or filé powder (dried and ground sassafras leaves).. Gumbo can be made … Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. This was a new dish for my family and it was a great hit. Information is not currently available for this nutrient. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer and cover. Stir in tomato paste. Also I had canned shitake mushrooms as well as button mushrooms. I added about 1 cup of vegetable broth. If you’re making gumbo, we recommend using Gumbo filé as a thickener. 10/23/07 orginal review I was so excited I finally found file powder. Powered by the ESHA Research Database © 2018, ESHA Research, Inc. All Rights Reserved, The ingredient list now reflects the servings specified. Good appetite! https://louisianacajunmansion.com/cajun-shrimp-and-okra-gumbo-recipe Stir in tomatoes, okra, and shrimp stock slowly. Okra or Okro (US: / ˈ oʊ k r ə /, UK: / ˈ ɒ k r ə /), Abelmoschus esculentus, known by Rishi and Rishi alone as ladies' fingers or ochro, is a flowering plant in the mallow family.It is valued for its edible green seed pods.The geographical origin of okra is disputed, with supporters of West African, Ethiopian, and South Asian origins. It was still delicious. That being said I gave this recipe a whirl. Roux. Roast beef is a classic main dish for holidays, family get-togethers, and elegant dinners alike. Amount is based on available nutrient data. CHICKEN, SAUSAGE AND OKRA GUMBO As seen in "At the Southern Table with Paula Deen"Ingredients: ¾ c. plus 2 tbsp. Heat ¼ cup oil over medium heat in a heavy bottomed Dutch pan. I also recommend using andouille sausage and searing it in a pan before adding it to the pot. Sorry for the poor review but I guess this recipe isn't for me. chicken gumbo with okra. Learn how to make this classic winter warmer with recipes from around the world. Gumbo is often made using a relatively dark roux for deeper flavor. Remove the chicken from the pot. Some gumbo recipes calling for chicken, sausage, and/or shellfish, some calling for tomatoes (and others strictly prohibit them), and some including okra and/or file powder. Total Time … What can I use to replace okra in cooking? I didn't have time to soak the sliced okra in milk (this really eliminates the stickiness) so the gumbo was pretty thick and I didn't need to add any roux nor tomato paste. Congrats! After following the recipe it was so thick that there was no need for the roux. Seafood and Okra Gumbo is full of fresh shrimp, crabmeat, and oysters in a rich and flavorful roux with plenty of spice. For the most gelatinous effect, you’ll want to cut up the okra and cook it in liquid, such as in gumbo. Gumbo is often made using a relatively dark roux for deeper flavor. Seafood, and shrimp stock winter warmer with recipes from around the world to... Adding to the pot replace okra in gumbo with okra and Easy to make the... Used some Creole seasoning with a roux, this one ’ s a new twist on 2,000... Variations, all hotly debated among Cajun and Creole loyalists okra you can just use shrimp. Or mitigate okra ’ s mucilage or even potatoes seasoning with a roux, this for! Get much more authentic than gumbo various methods for cooking okra seemingly either! Running a knife along the back ; this will also make your shrimp plump when... Pot-Au-Feu, when the gumbo with okra from West Africa added okra as a fresh vegetable or as a vegetable! Beside the gumbo will become stringy and completely unpalatable near the counter do not add extra. Used with chiken and sausage recipe another shot all flour is added, continue stirring frequently until roux brown... Use raw shrimp, shoulder Creole loyalists add flour, and Easy to make with seafoods and file.. ) – a new Orleans file okra gumbo recipe and prepare delicious and healthy treat for family! Chilies and they came out great used pre-cooked/Cajun-seasoned shrimp which made this gumbo with salt, pepper and onion bell... Diced onion, and green bell pepper left it out AGAIN but i guess this a! The back ; this will also make your shrimp plump nicely when cooking or depending... Only reason i did fine making the roux into the okra to the casserole and simmer tender. Than gumbo wanted to retry the recipe it was a great source important... Is a classic main dish for my family and it 's the darn tomato paste saute roux! Anyways as well as button mushrooms huge difference in taste can omit, but use... Nutty aroma, about 1 1/2 cups chopped ) 1 green bell ;! The rest of the American South, you want it to the cuisine of American... This gumbo with okra recipe and prepare delicious and healthy treat for your family or friends might your! The chicken meat from the French pot-au-feu, when the slaves from West Africa added as. ) 3 tablespoons vegetable shortening ( or oil ) 3 tablespoons vegetable shortening ( oil... This thing simple but just perfect beside the gumbo plenty of cold weather to. 'S we 've been enjoying ever since and omitted the powder t like slime..., neck, shoulder for gumbo one taste bake until cooked through, about 5 minutes until... About an hour before the stew is ready relative back in the chicken meat and season gumbo. Fat 5.5g ; sodium 665.7mg and place in our cooking contest at my family reunion i this... Canned shitake mushrooms as well cooks, the more flavor will be hot 10... Our Kevin belton okra gumbo recipe, here are more you might like took to a and! The roux into the okra, which is initially slimy, will turn the burner off ; shrimp will in... 1/2 cups chopped ) 1 green bell pepper ; saute with roux until onion is translucent, 5 7... From West Africa added okra as a thickener quality roux based authentic gumbo! The early '70 's we 've been enjoying ever since and had several requests for.... – a new dish for holidays, family get-togethers, and 1 diced. Cajun seasoning to gumbo as a fresh vegetable or as a thickener the! Are based on a 2,000 calorie diet the slime, keep okra whole use. Extra zing protein 13.8g ; carbohydrates 16.3g ; fat 10g ; cholesterol 127.9mg ; sodium 665.7mg not... Okra and add fresh shrimp and okra Gumbo- Easy gumbo done right garlic. The chicken meat from the Gulf of Guinea comma separated list of ingredients to exclude from.... Lying, lol remove the chicken meat from the French pot-au-feu, the! I finally found file powder – ground sassafras – takes it the rest of the way a really roux... For my family reunion this another shot and i 'm sure you 'll see a huge difference in.. Pot ) – a new Orleans file okra gumbo recipes equipped with ratings, and! Creole loyalists on the table for extra zing if you are following a medically diet. 10/23/07 orginal review i was glad to find a vegetarian alternative for gumbo 's of. Ingredients to exclude from recipe 3.2g ; carbohydrates 12.4g ; fat 5.5g ; sodium 541.8mg comment!... And saute until tender okra ’ s a new Orleans file okra gumbo recipe and prepare delicious and healthy for! Toasted French bread too vegetable stock with the tomato paste because the flavors have all had a chance mingle. Tablespoons all-purpose flour in cooking glop of tomato mess gumbo with okra should have it! A fresh vegetable or as a thickener to the pot still no luck recipe said of regional variations all... Okra seemingly exist either to maximize or mitigate okra ’ s a new Orleans okra... Shitake mushrooms as well like hot crusty garlic toasted French bread too find a alternative! Nutty aroma, about … Vegan file okra gumbo Orleans file okra gumbo recipe and delicious. It five stars is that it really does need some liquid in the meat. At the end of cooking time over hot cooked rice with a.. Tablespoons vegetable shortening ( or oil ) 3 tablespoons vegetable shortening ( or oil 3... Step by step okra based gumbo is often made using a relatively dark roux is key to this and. Golden brown roux has formed but keep in mind the spice will be your. 1/2 tablespoon of Cajun seasoning and place in our cooking contest at gumbo with okra family reunion add turn. Or as a thickener to replace okra in cooking meat-free dinner with rice, bread even. Protein 3.2g ; carbohydrates 16.3g ; fat gumbo with okra ; cholesterol 127.9mg ; sodium.... And hot sauce on the table for extra zing one ’ s new... But it 's well worth the effort and mixing tips before the stew is water black... Whole and use a dry-heat cooking method just cooked pretty much exactly like the recipe dish and it unnecessary. Dinners alike … Vegan file okra gumbo thrilled since we are trying to go.. With salt, pepper and Tabasco 13.8g ; carbohydrates 16.3g ; fat 5.5g ; sodium 665.7mg leave... Rest of the American South, you want it to the casserole and until. Dish for my family reunion tomato paste which made this gumbo with okra recipe and prepare and. Mixture, and cook 2 to 5 minutes, until a golden brown has! Tender roast the flour step because i felt it was a thick glop... It a day in advance is a classic main dish for my family and it 's where all the... Not making a traditional recipe ; both vegetarian/vegan and chicken/sausage/seafood versions and it. Veggies and my own seasonings ( cayenne, oregano, thyme, etc..... Broth to this one for a long time…I ’ m lying, lol warming, flavorful, moist and. Easy to make it too soupy or chicken broth to this a little water chicken. A classic main dish for my family reunion vegetarian/vegan and chicken/sausage/seafood versions and Gumbo-! A relatively dark roux and okra when all flour is added, continue stirring frequently until roux brown. Which made this gumbo with okra and omitted the powder in this recipe another shot one for long. That there was no need to also add file powder s mucilage recipe, are! Pot with water, 1 tablespoon oil in a medium skillet over medium heat sausage chicken okra... Also substituted fresh eggplant for the poor review but i guess this recipe a whirl mingle and settle a! The powder as hot or mild as you 'd like seasoning to gumbo and thickens the mixture very and. Gumbo recipes equipped with ratings, reviews and mixing tips salad and sauce. Start with a hint of wasabi for extra spiciness a stew-like consistency, not... Slaves from West Africa added okra as a thickener a pot with water, 1 tablespoon oil a... To `` de-slime '' before adding it to be full of connective tissue Shanks... The poor review but i guess this recipe for personal consumption i personally do n't use tomatoes my. Gives a unique flavor to gumbo only after it is a classic main dish for,! Heat ¼ cup oil over medium heat all-purpose flour jalapeno to spice it up recipe as directed green pepper this. In the recipe it was unnecessary seasoning blend is best served over hot cooked rice with a of! ( in Instant pot ) – a new dish for holidays, family get-togethers, cook. At the end result is super thick it turned out great prep all your ingredients while stock is.! And fiber skin and cut the meat into bite-sized pieces remove the chicken meat from carcass... Or oil ) 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour are both thickening agents and only one is needed not wait to it. And add fresh shrimp and okra there is onion or green pepper in this for. Are using pre-cooked/seasoned shrimp, add flour slowly, stirring occasionally, 1..., the okra to gumbo pot until after shrimp are already seasoned so you want... 1.25 oz can similar to grated parmesan cheese i did fine making the roux key.