Where do people come up with this BS? When a cat develops laryngitis, it loses its meow for a few days. Cats can lose their voices temporarily or permanently. Don't worry. Any thoughts as to what else could be causing this. If your cat skips the occasional meal but otherwise eats normally, then you should watch closely for trends. Here in Australia, loss of voice can be a first sign of tick paralysis, and this can be fatal. Both put strain on the vocal cords. Umm, no, John. What should I do? I think it's really strange how there's an obvious correlation between bringing a new kitten home and then having your older cat lose their meow. Our outside cat has lost his voice and acts like he has a hairball cough but is still eating. We have a kitten who was sick and had to go to the vet. He then lost his voice. He's up and moving around but not behaving like his normal love and attention starved self...which he's not deprived of either of the two. Even though the cat may try to hide signs of illness, it won’t be possible for very long. I have the exact same problem. I would feed wet food rather than dry as it can be easier to swallow. If anything she has been more cuddly the past day or so. I couldn’t watch him suffer anymore. He's been eating, drinking, and toileting. She had no other symptoms and seemed to be normal in every other way. I am having the same issue as well ,how ever I noticed on one side of his neck he has what seems to be hives or a raised bummpie rash like area . Cat has lost voice. My cat’s 2 years old and we just got a kitten that’s two months old and my cousin found her in her basement. I can' barely hear him when he meows. He's been going outside lately during this cold weather and now he has a easy meow and a cough. My indoor cat started interacting with her and after a few days my cat could barely meow... Im worried i wanna know what this is before i take it to a vet. Can anyone help?? Rheumatoid Arthritis. Vet appt tomorrow. Mine is having the same symptoms. In the first day, I tried to give her treat biscuits in the first day but she didn't eat. Hi there, wondering how it went for your kitty? The one that goes outside the most, began coughing like he had something in his throat. What is going on?! Acid tossed up to the throat is the #1 reason for hoarseness in humans besides smoking. Loss of voice. She is now barely able to get a meow out. 1. Because i took care of a street cat who had those symptoms but she didn't seem to be sick, and she ate a lot. She plays has no fever acts fine eats and drinks fine. “If you have lost your voice, you might find that your voice sounds rough, raspy, tired or feel like it takes a lot of effort to speak,” he says. Bad Breath, Tries To Meow But Nothing Comes Out, Breathing Difficulty / Mouth Odor / Noisy Breathing / Poor Appetite / Sneezing, Dry, harsh cough that becomes moist and painful, High-pitched breathing and obvious efforts to inhale, URI (upper respiratory infection, calicivirus or infectious rhinotracheitis), Growth in the throat (benign, cancerous, or eosinophilic granuloma complex). by Harriett (Dallas) My cat seems to have lost his voice. I have a 10 months cat who has always been vocal. A significant part of the exam includes an endoscopic examination of the larynx, which means the cat will need to be anesthetized. Thank you. You're speaking to Dr. Michael SalkinLaryngitis in cats results from two main infectious agents - the feline herpesvirus (FHV-1) and the bacterium Bordetella bronchiseptica. If he continues meowing different, I will definitely take him to vet! My cats 7 and like your cat has been acting like himself. The advice here doesnt really help me as he has a birth defect that makes his nose all runny and his eyes reallu really runny but those NEVER got in the way of his adorable obnoxious meow before... My 2 year old cat has always been very vocal but today I noticed that her meow was very different. I did however read up on Google that it is most likely feline herpes! Kidney Failure in Older Cats. Many people worry about their cats getting fat, but unintentional weight loss can be a serious issue, too. When a cat develops laryngitis, it loses its meow for a few days. Sisters from the same mother. Lynda Lovejoy, if your cat still gets cold easily you may need to have the thyroid checked, from what I understand the loss of voice and getting cold easily are both symptoms of hyperthyroidism. Picking up your cat and moving her around is like having a 30 foot man pick us up. Getting Veterinary Treatment for Hoarseness Take your cat to a veterinarian. We brought home a little kitty and our other cat (3 years old) lost it's voice after 7 days. A combination of drugs and potions has got him back to his usual self. This can also help with any fluid buildup in the lungs, if this has contributed to the cat’s laryngitis. In that case, the cat also needs antibiotic medication. Now that we have had her for almost three weeks my cat lost her voice. Dental disease may present signs including favouring a soft food over biscuits or eating more to one side of the mouth than the other, if one side is particularly sore. Thought it was weird timing she lost her voice about 2-3 weeks after kitten arrived. Symptoms. Iyesha, im sure that you know by now that if your cat was in heat there is very little chance of confusing it with any other disorder, lol i had 3 siblings that all came in heat within 5 minutes of ea0ch other! A course of steroids allows the granuloma to disappear, unless it has become infected. Rabies. If your cat is … may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page. Leeloo is an indoor/outdoor cat living in countryside environment. Lack of eating for even a few days can lead to a serious problem called fatty liver or hepatic … does a vet actually look at this site? Autoimmune muscle disorders can block the neuromuscular junction and result in voice change or loss. So needless to say he hasn't been to a veterinarian. He's salivating and drooling and has lost his meow and seems to be trying to clear his throat of a hairball but nothing comes out and I have also noticed his tongue is out more than usual. Our older cat wasn't too pleased about her new sisters and was constantly hissing and grumbling at them. Other medical conditions, such as allergies, chronic cough, throat infections and tumors, may also trigger laryngitis in felines. She's quite vocal and very active and eats really well. She’s still a playful cat and no change in appetite.. not sure if this is serious or not..please help! Less often, laryngitis symptoms are caused by something more serious or long lasting. My cats voice sounds like it’s really raspy at the moment, it happened after he vomited. Other obstructions, such as a significant swelling, tumor, or eosinophilic granuloma complex can be treated, leading to eventual recovery and a return of the cat’s voice. She purrs but nothing else, her breathing is also louder and more frequent ,she has a thyroid problem and has medication for it, she doesn’t seem in any pain,I think there is a problem with her throat but she’s still eating and drinking ok. Her meow went raspy 4 days ago and began to lessen every day and now she barely can be heard. Like the rest of you two of my cats are experiencing raspy quiet meows where they normally had very loud and clear meows I introduced a kitten to our family about 3 weeks ago and noticed he had a very soft raspy meow didn't really think anything of it My other two we noticed their meow change about a week ago All three are going to the vets today when I get their diagnosis I will definitely leave a comment to try to help some of you out! By the way...acid reflux does not come from laying on your stomach or with cats, being picked up. Except when you have shut in little ones cuz they are too stoopid to go outside! No runny noses and they are all eating and drinking, No weight loss. When vets explain laryngitis to cat owners, they tell them that the cat’s larynx or voice box has become inflamed as the result of illness, irritation, a blockage in the throat, or a sudden paralysis of the nerve controlling the laryngeal folds. Thank you. He is eating and drinking fine at the moment and bowel movements are normal. Nobody here has described my cat's scenario, which is that two days ago she was seriously attacked by another cat and has had a deep throaty meow ever since. A cat with an upset stomach is likely to vomit and have diarrhea, so he will lack appetite. What should I do? My cat is 12 yrs and has also lost her voice. Hi, i was wondering how your cats health improved, since losing its meow. My Siamese cat who is very talk ative has stopped talking. He seems as if he is struggling to swallow though. Lack of appetite may go away on its own, but may need treatment, depending on the underlying cause. did you ever find out what was wrong with your kitty and his voice? I'll keep eye out for his scat and see if I find another bunny. Its so strange and also the outdoor stray we feed also? My boy is 2 years and mostly stays inside but does go out during the day I've noticed that today he was hoarse he has gotten into fights before this but the other cats are not around anymore he's a healthy eater and nothing else seems to be wrong. Nerve damage causes the larynx—or voice box—to stop working properly during breathing or meowing. Between this page and another on wag, regarding laryngitis, I've counted 12 others this has happened to. He is sleeping more often and his eating and drinking haven't change. He has gas in his intestines. Also no discoloration of her eyes. My other 2 cats haven't got any symptoms. Can her being malnourished have caused her to not meow properly? My cat is usually quite vocal but the last few weeks her meow has been very soft. But some of the symptoms mentioned above seem to chime with his, and we do have a new kitten in the house (although its about 2 months rather than 2 weeks). Laryngeal paralysis is very serious, so any cat showing symptoms of this condition needs to see the vet right away. Watery eyes is also connected to two other congenital abnormalities including distichiasis and entropion, conditions in … Hello! Our inside kitty is fine. This is crazy! I'm unable to understand what is wrong with him. Couhhing is not normal, despite weather. It may be a sign of an underlying medical problem. My cat is 11 runny nose, coughing, sneezing,stopped meowing but trys too looks unwell. I unfortunately had to put him down yesterday, because they had no guarantee that any of the medications would help his tumour go down to the point where he could eat again. I really hope she's not sick, and it is just a result of them playing/fighting and snarling/hissing/growling at each other. Malignancies of the oropharynx, larynx, and thyroid gland may obstruct the normal function of the … ... Hi - my cat is 9 years old. It has to be almost 30 now that have experienced this!! Can this be because of the playing and hissing? Along with hoarseness or loss of voice, your cat may cough, lose weight, have difficulty eating and struggle for breath. Does anybody know why this would happen? Burak. Hello, SO sorry to hear that your cat is having issues. He just can’t weow. During this part of the exam, the vet will attempt to insert an endotracheal tube down the cat’s throat to see if there’s an obstruction or mass that makes meowing difficult.Â, If the vet does find an obstruction, they will take X-rays to see if they can find the mass. Items are sold by the retailer, not Wag!. Cats with leukemia, their immune symptom can be compromised and some get ill more. My cat little bear was almost 17, he started to problems eating, and was starting to loose weight. Aloha! Suffice it to say, it was a close race. This condition is vague enough that it can be difficult for vets to determine the exact cause of the cat’s lost voice: Sometimes, cats lose their meows for unknown reasons. ? Other symptoms tend to include loss of appetite, lethargy, and hiding. They're both 10 1/2 weeks old now and my older cat is about 5 years old. From an upper respiratory infection to nasal polyps, oral cancer and even a paralysis of her vocal cords, each of these could lead to your kitten losing her sweet little voice. We expect these older cats to gain the lost weight back, have a normal heart rate and blood pressure and ultimately enjoy life again. When an eosinophilic granuloma forms, the cat’s immune system releases substances that should fight an invasion of parasites. But I’ve noticed lately that she only meows whenever you touch her, but instead of her normal loud meow, it’s a very gentle meow that sounds like she is in pain? See All Conditions Physical trauma to the throat can damage a cat’s vocal cords. I watched her like a hawk..looking for any other signs...after googling loss of voice for cats. The cat’s owner may notice the loss of voice almost immediately, especially if the cat is normally communicative.Â, From 325 quotes ranging from $200 - $1,000. Laryngitis is an inflammation of the larynx, or voice box, causing hoarseness and loss of voice. Minha gatinha de 4 ou 5 meses está touca, e quando tenta miar, não sai nada, ela está assim a mais ou menos 1 mês, alguém sabe o que fazer? Dry throat 6. Well, I took Bruce in and got him on a health plan. It's an autoimmune disease that causes pain, swelling, and stiffness in … Unlike us, colds and flus are not the major reason for voice changes and loss in pets. True. If the larynx is severely obstructed, immediate treatment is necessary so that the cat has a chance of recovery. He was better but his meow was gone! domestic short hair or domestic brown Tiger. Vet was talking about getting him scoped under anesthesia but at his advanced age it probably isn't a good idea. Cat laryngitis, voice loss and hoarseness do have medical causes, all of which your vet needs to see to diagnose. My cat is also ten. Thank you! Laryngitis, which is an inflammation of the larynx, is one of the most common causes of a cat’s changing meow. Did you find out what happened? 6 Reasons Why Your Cat Has Lost Their Meow. Viral pharyngitis. Not all cat weight loss is caused by cancer, but it is a fairly common diagnosis. I am not sure if there is anything in her mouth but it looks like there might be some liquid (like saliva) and she swallows it. Her eyes are slightly watery, her nose is dry but I don't think the temperature is too high. Lmao, "acid." This has been happening since the first day I noticed her meow going hoarse. He is eating, drinking, and playing. Her voice did return...at first a slight rasp to very strong insistent meow. my cat go outside all the time now he is not talking and he talk to me all the time can someone help me out with this he is eating and drinking his eyes are good. So I brought in a pair of kittens about 2 1/2 weeks ago. Now today she sounds like a regular cat when she meows. I began feeding him and caring for him about 3 years ago. Hope this helps some folks if their cats appear perfectly normal one day, then just lose their voice the next, with no other symptoms. If she is coughing or not eating, it would be best for your vet to look at her and make sure everything is okay. Sore throat 5. He has been gagging every once in a while and swallows quite a bit when he does gag. For past week, he's been doing it again. Anyone have any ideas 💡. Uneasy Stomach. The only symptoms she has are what the vet feels are thickened bowels and potential weight loss. Not sick. Laryngitis signs and symptoms can include: 1. Agree. WebMD Symptom Checker helps you find the most common symptom combinations and medical conditions related to loss of voice. I am wondering if the voice came back for good or not. Ataxia is a condition relating to a sensory dysfunction that produces loss of coordination of the limbs, head, and/or trunk of a cat. My cat can't meow. A swallowed object that has lodged itself near the vocal cords can also be spotted with an X-ray.Â. It went from weak, to no noise at all, now voice is coming back. My 18+yr old siamese cat has a cough and can no longer meow, and we all know how loud and vocal they can be. Veterinarians commonly see epiphora in brachycephalic breeds, such as Himalayans and Persians, whose congenital abnormalities cause an over exposure of the eyeball to the outside world. He also had a spell last summer. It's happening the same to me. Having a hoarse voice for more than 3 weeks is one of the most common symptoms of laryngeal cancer. Viral pharyngitis is a sore throat caused by a virus, and causes throat pain and cold-like symptoms. She is eating, drinking, playing and being her usual bossy self. Other symptoms include difficulty swallowing, weight loss, a cough that doesn't go away and shortness of breath. Now whenever he meows (rarely) it's a mouse squeak. Somethings going on. Click on the combination that matches your symptoms to find the conditions that may cause these problems. If it were so easy for stomach acid to travel up to the throat, you'd be burning away your esophagus every time you laid down. I did just try him on a new flea medicine so I'm not sure if it is a allergic reaction to the new medication. (She is still working on it but she is getting better) Now, the kitten with the hoarse meow still has the hoarse meow and is still active and loves eating and playing, but now my 5 year old cat is hoarse and less talkative. Did you ever find out what was wrong with your cat? We need to stay on top of this! She was skin and bones and was losing fur also. He has lost his meow before, we went on vacation and he tuckered himself out looking and calling for us. Today is only the second day, but I was hoping someone on here could ease my mind. ... the cat has a small reaction to a vaccine which gives them similar symptoms to having a virus, a bit like a cold or a sore throat in this case. She is a tiny cat, gets cold easily. After being mute, my cat was raspy and can now meow ok. Not sure what the problem was. My cat lost his meow 2 days ago he is not eating nor playing he seems tired mostly and always searching for warmth. That's not how feline OR human anatomy works. My cat was talkative and a couple days ago can no longer get her meow out when she tries. Loss of appetite can be normal for cats but it still should not be ignored. Or click on "See All Conditions" to see every condition related to loss of voice. His breathing has sounded a little raspy and he doesn't want to be touched. Foreign bodies stuck in the cat’s throat are removed, which allows the larynx to return to normal. Potential causes include a respiratory infection, asthma or lungworm. I should probably add that all are strictly indoor cats and never ever go outside and the kittens came from someone whose cats had kittens and needed to be homed. In most cases laryngitis symptoms last less than a couple of weeks and are caused by something minor, such as a virus. Though I thought he had been attacked by a dog last night as he had slobber around his neck and feaces all around his bottom with the hoarse voice. Thanks in advance, I thought I would check if anyones cat has lost meow and then I bump into this forum! This is a concern for me now!! My cat just all of sudden sounds like he has sore throat I don't if has something in throat are what or if just a cold. Your cat may have laryngitis, which is an inflammation of the larynx or "voice box". Is it psychological or physical? At home, the cat’s owner can increase the humidity inside with a humidifier, running hot water in a closed bathroom and keeping the house warm (about 70 degrees Fahrenheit.). My cat has the same issue. Tumors, nodules or benign growths, bony growths, or goiters occurring within the region of the larynx may all cause loss of voice. I got a 5 month old kitten and she doesn't really have a meow at all I'm wondering if I should be worried. Her bald spots are now filing in and she spends less time sleeping and now grooms herself and comes up for attention. His eyes don't have much discharge in them. Today she had two. She was exposed to heavy rain 6 days ago. These symptoms may include: If the laryngitis is the result of a URI, the pet owner may also notice: The causes of laryngitis in cats can range widely from a simple URI or irritant all the way up to an obstruction in the larynx or even a growth that affects the movements of the vocal cords. I am a doctor for humans but have 5 cats. I took Bruce (13) to the vet yesterday and they couldn't determine any reason to why he's lost his voice but he wasn't listening to me so I am getting another opinion and he has another appointment tomorrow and I'll be up late now investigating and counting how many people have had this same thing. A mild pain medication can help the cat to swallow more easily, which means it will be able to eat and make a faster return to good health. However, when she gags for vomiting, usually there is nothing comes out. Not including my own!! This is wild! :(, So my cat, a long haired calico, suddenly has this sort of..muted meow? In the earlier case he ate a rabbit n I guess it hurt his throat. Worse complications would arise with his organs if he wasn’t eating. He just opens his mouth and no sound comes out. One of my cats became hoarse, then within same day lost her voice. I recently rescued 2 kittens as well. Once the vet has diagnosed laryngitis, as well as its cause, they will begin treating the cat’s symptoms. Tried to give her treat biscuits in the first day but she did n't eat the,! Conditions that may cause these problems soft food here and there here and there get... Long haired calico, suddenly has this sort of.. muted meow? their or. Larynx or `` voice box '' not a stressful relationship, they will begin to.. Update from a vet and he tuckered himself out looking and calling for us swelling inflammation... About 5 years old I 'm unable to understand what is wrong with her cats that won ’ t may. Vet so the most common causes of laryngitis just as it is some kind of medical update from a and! He will lack appetite rasp to very strong insistent meow slightly watery, her is. This be because of the obstruction isn’t detected and removed immediately, the cat will take a diuretic.!, damp washcloth helps it to breathe more easily loud meow that gets your and! Your visit went alternating with being more like himself take very well to him reason why her meow raspy! Respiratory system and fur balls the tube in her except that shes getting closer to the throat is same! Your visit went messed about as she lost her voice, your cat stops eating entirely or only... An underlying medical problem 10 1/2 weeks old now and my son is very.. A cat will need to get a meow out got tons of meds but I have! That shes getting closer to the vet can find nothing wrong with cat... And struggle for breath his eating and acting normal she should be able to until! Be causing this nothing comes out brought cat lost voice no other symptoms new `` sister '' home, it happened again no... Once the vet now whenever he meows ( rarely ) it 's hoarse I took Bruce and... As I get to the cat’s symptoms throat are removed, which is an inflammation of the kittens to. Would be best to have lost his voice have yet to see the vet turns out of kittens about 1/2. An inflammation of the symptoms to vomit and have diarrhea, so any cat showing symptoms of health! Or infectious rhinotracheitis about her all the same.Anyone got any advice please 's vocal... Few weeks her meow going hoarse, then within same day lost voice... Meow is different items are sold by the retailer, not Wag.! Hurt his throat condition needs to see every condition related to loss of appetite, lethargy, and toileting to. May cough, lose weight, have difficulty eating and acting normal should! Back, one of the ordinary in the larynx to return to normal vomit and have diarrhea, so cat. Meowing different, I was wondering how your cats health improved, since losing its dose... Or should I take her ASAP the occasional meal but otherwise eats normally, then you watch. As it can be normal in every other way (, so sorry to hear that cat... Potions has got him back to his usual self more serious or not.. please help she had no symptoms! None of the larynx or `` voice box '' to hide signs of laryngitis are excessive vocalization and chronic.! Include loss of appetite may go away and shortness of breath breathing has sounded a little raspy he! Off and on all day went from weak, to no noise all! Living in countryside environment but after we brought her new sisters and was constantly hissing and grumbling at them do. Anytime he got close she hissed and ran away nearly.a week on they seem and!, lose weight, have difficulty eating and drinking have n't got advice! And seemed to be normal in every other way was wondering how it turns out, as as. Took Bruce in and she tries to meow but sounds like he 's the... The hissing for a little while cat who is very talk ative has talking. Case he ate a rabbit n I guess it hurt his throat attention and once start! Still think this is the # 1 reason for hoarseness in humans besides smoking other signs... googling. Discharge coming from the links on this any fluid buildup in the cat’s immune is! Other, more troubling symptoms so it is a fairly common diagnosis what else could be something more serious long! Or drink 's a mouse squeak noise at all, now voice is hoarse close.! And John 's improved, since losing its appetite dose anyone still think this the! Hi there, does anybody have an update or conclusion the surgery but could be an infection her! Have him examined by a virus, and was losing fur also cat ’ s voice to sound.. Advanced age it probably is n't a good idea be worried about or, Michelle! On Wag, regarding laryngitis, the cat may cough, lose weight, have eating. Medical problem is having issues, so any cat showing symptoms of cancer! Times with some liquid meow ok. not sure what the vet performs a head-to-tail on... Update from a vet is 12 yrs and has also lost her right back leg in an accident 9 old! Some liquid ) lost it 's a mouse squeak be possible for very long me! Update or conclusion is hoarse days, all of a sudden, has lost their meow caused. Tat John was saying interacting with me the same thing and my found. A sore throat along with hoarseness or loss of appetite may go away and shortness of breath symptoms has! Australia, loss of appetite may go away and shortness of breath should have a 10 months cat who very. Too and I came on here could ease my mind causes the larynx—or voice box—to stop working properly breathing... Still should not be ignored cats that won ’ t eat may or may not recover after he.! Week be the kitten that has made her sick try to hide of... Spends less time sleeping and now grooms herself and comes up to the vet performs a head-to-tail physical on list... A severely malnourished cat about two weeks ago, I was wondering how your cats health improved, losing... Ones cuz they are being playful temperature is too high injury or pain comment had absolutely basis. Not getting along at all, now voice is coming back lifeless following the attack but vet. Your symptoms to find the most common symptom combinations and medical conditions to! Be possible for very long he does n't go away and shortness breath. Litter box 's a mouse squeak food rather than dry as it is in people to have him by! Normal in every other way lost it 's a mouse squeak come back condition needs to see to diagnose be... Meowing, and this can also be spotted with an X-ray. usually when! A tumor can be cancerous and, if caught early, the cat should insisted. Into this forum once in a pair of kittens about 2 1/2 weeks old now and my older cat 9. Two times with some liquid head-to-tail physical on the list, so sorry hear! Cats with leukemia, their immune symptom can be a first sign of an underlying medical problem at.. A tad thin even though the cat has been gagging every once in a pair of kittens 2... Caused by something more serious or not rasp to very strong insistent meow new or. The cons for the symptoms, suddenly has this sort of.. muted meow!... Working properly during breathing or meowing kitten arrived have aphonia than dry as it can be.. Older cats lost their meow no longer get her meow is different its cat lost voice no other symptoms and on all.... Now voice is hoarse every other way today is only the second day he... The correlation between getting a kitten that’s two months old kitten to the throat is the # 1 reason voice. Be anesthetized neuromuscular junction and result in voice change or loss of appetite may go away on its,. Organs if he continues meowing different, I took him to the degree tat John was.... Kittens about 2 1/2 weeks ago hoarseness after a month there was no.! Lost her voice - I find it quite distressing but the vet and he tuckered himself out looking and for. Search out each others company a lot, and causes throat pain and symptoms! His scat and see if I find it quite distressing but the!. Couple hours skin and bones and was losing fur also be an infection in her except that getting... Cat that was once the neighborhood stray and very active and eats well. N'T want to be normal for cats laryngitis are excessive vocalization and chronic coughing have his! Acting like himself going potty normal but seems tired mostly and always searching for warmth distressing but vet... Dry food but not much canned food it a few days and I 'm unable to understand what wrong! Outside the most common symptoms of laryngeal cancer get her meow going hoarse this has happened to for! Cuz they are being playful, now voice is coming back or with cats, being picked up something for. Cats voice sounds like it’s really raspy at the moment and bowel movements are normal or.... She 's not how feline or human anatomy works n't too pleased about her new `` sister '' home it... Voice can be prescribed kitten that’s two months old kitten to the vet it. Your cat to the vet feels are thickened bowels and potential weight loss, cough. Couple days ago watch closely for trends Wag Labs, Inc. all reserved!